Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect the traffic on this forum to increase tenfold now that half the world is either in lock-down or heading that way. I am a photographer and every job up until the end of April has been cancelled so I shall be posting a lot more to pass the time!! Hope everyone stays well.

·
Super Moderator
7,950 Posts
some nice arty shots of your car @Titchthephot ?

will have to get back down and have another meet and game of skittles :)

i am finding my current contract finishes start of May (unless it gets extended again) and my 4 year PCP ends in October

so do i replace my car in the next few months, or buy it at the end of the contract

if my contract is extended my car sits on the drive doing 20-30 miles a week as i will be to and fro london on the trains (once work from home due to virus finishes), if my contract ends i will be back on the road, BUT the company i work for is now pushing more remote working so what do i do

so do i have a large expensive car as a ornament on the drive for occasional use or downsize ? will i be back doing a lot of miles and spending a lot of time away from home

that all depends on how this virus plays out and if my job goes back to what it was

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Or, less to write about with reduced need to drive anywhere. In Ohio, all restaurants are closed except for carry out, and all the bridge clubs closed (a major reason for my miles). I could now use my time to go on holiday, but everything is closed in most states. So much for low gas prices - I took an online look around the country and lowest was $1.25 in Oklahoma. Lowest in my part of Ohio is around $1.60, prices not seen for perhaps 15 years. California is still at or over three dollars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
...so do i have a large expensive car as a ornament on the drive for occasional use or downsize ?...
Many years ago when I still lived and worked in the UK, knowing that in a year or so I'd be emigrating, I faced a generally similar question. Do I keep running the car I had, which was around 6 years old and was returning 30-32mpg (UK) for what was mostly a daily commute into Manchester and back home, and weekend shopping trips, or dump it and use the bus.

I decided to use the bus. It was a lot cheaper, though rather less convenient, particularly when the local Tesco was about a mile away, and meant a walk there and back (the back bit being somewhat laden with groceries). I would make the same choice now, even with the UK's somewhat deteriorated public transport infrastructure due to a certain (then) Prime Minister's willful fascination with privatization and deregulation.

But, if my car had been capable of, and was in fact returning more like the 75mpg (UK) that I get from my Ioniq HEV, the whole equation of cost vs convenience would be different. There's very little doubt that I would have kept the car and forgone the joys of the local bus services because operating costs of the car would be sufficiently lowered that the convenience of owning/using it would tip the balance.

These days, it might be even easier as a choice, because it would be practical to trade the old car and get an EV, which would have plenty range for all my needs at that time via a home charge, thus cutting usage costs even more. But that's another story!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Spotted gas at $0.699 a litre today. It's like I just stepped out of a phone booth that travels through time, 69 dude!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Just a few miles from my house, gas is $1.49 a US gallon. Took a look around Gas Buddy and lowest in the country is $1.13 in Oklahoma. Of course, just as gas prices dropped like a rock, so did my driven miles. Thinking about a beach trip to Florida, nothing else to do at home. Sleep in the car, a few days of reading books on the beach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd be curious about the sleep in the car part. Some long time ago my friends and I used a tent for two persons and a Passat for the other two. Basically back seats reclined get you about two meters in a such car. How is sleeping in the Ioniq though, given it is less lengthy than even an Elantra?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
There are some happy threads about sleeping in the Ioniq. I own a Niro which is actually shorter than the Ioniq and have no problem sleeping in the back on a foam mattress. I do have to scoot the front passenger seat forward though. Rear seats were removed and replaced with a lowered and flattened load bed to accomodate a bicycle as well as sleep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts