Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi RohanP67
My Ioniq ( purchased Jan. 2020) is currently at Keema Mt. Gravatt having its 6th flush and (apparently) a coolant replacement. The vehicle has done 29,670+ km and the problem has been with us for perhaps 18 months (sorry not sure offhand when the 1st warning appeared). The temporary solution when driving is to drive a short distance (metres), turn off then on again and the warning disappears until the next time.
We have also had one or two new coolant pumps (they have told me both stories) and a new main battery installed earlier this year because of the govt. recall. Will be interested to see if a new radiator fixes your problem although I suspect it is simply a symptom of the crystalyzing of the coolant. Please keep in touch as I suspect the problem doesn't end here. I have 2 years of warranty left to solve this issue. Meanwhile we can't drive up or down the coast with any confidence for fear of the dreaded warning surfacing. Joey22
Of course getting it fixed is priority, as it also affects other models, but I wouldn't worry too much about driving far with the car. Just check the levels yourself, most likely they are perfectly fine, it's just the sensor going crazy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Of course getting it fixed is priority, as it also affects other models, but I wouldn't worry too much about driving far with the car. Just check the levels yourself, most likely they are perfectly fine, it's just the sensor going crazy.
Hi Growiel. Thanks for your reassurance. Much appreciated. Checking the level would be OK if it was the level that caused the warning. Our level is always way high but still we get warnings constantly. I've read the pump in the battery triggers the "Refill coolant" warning when it can't get enough coolant, presumably because of crystal sludge blockage. When that happens the pump speeds up to suck more coolant, until it hits 2250 rpm when the refill warning is triggered because the pump sensor thinks the level is low. If the pump cannot get enough coolant what happens? Does the battery head for thermal runaway and consequent fire which appears to be a characteristic of LG batteries in Hyundai, Chevy Bolts and Porsche among others? If the warning doesn't go off, continued driving with it on, it seems to me, could have regrettable consequences but I'm no expert; nor are Hyundai apparently. Any advice and opinions to solve this issue greatly appreciated. Joey22

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
990 Posts
It might be worth driving with an OBDII dongle plugged in to monitor the battery temperature. I believe Li-ions are quite happy in the 20C to 40C region, they charge nice & quck in this zone, so once temp is rising above 40 that may be when it's time to go a bit slower maybe? Needs a Li-ion expert, or some googling, to find out what's ok and what's getting too hot.

Whether max allowed temperature while charging up is the same as max when discharging throiugh the motor, I don't know. Conceivably there might be a difference. Expert opinion needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2019 Ioniq 38 This has just come up on my dash. Are people getting this sorted under warranty?
Hi Froody. There are a number of us now on this forum that have this problem. It appears there is no long term fix for this problem at present. Mine has been going on for about 18 months at a guess as I didn't monitor it in the beginning but it is currently in the Hyundai dealers for the 6th time I think getting a flush and coolant change UNDER WARRANTY. Pick the car up again today but I have no expectations that the fix will last more than a few days. The last flush lasted 4-5 days before the warning returned. Continue to do the same thing and expect a different result? I don't think so.

Record everything from now on; photograph the dash when the warning appears so you can see the warning and mileage and record date. I use Powerpoint to save this data. Keep a record of all services. Unassociated with this problem but have you had the main battery replaced? Australia had a recall in August 2021 but neither Hyundai nor the dealer informed us of this. We (wifey & I) only found out when I phoned for 2nd service booking in Jan. 2022 and was told not to bring it in because "they didn't have the part". What part? The battery! So then the recall was revealed and I went on to the govt. site and confirmed my VIN was there. Waited a bit for the battery but it was eventually replaced. A A$10,000 warranty cost to Hyundai. So good news is I have 3 yo EV with 1yo battery. Unconfirmed reports suggest the original battery problem has not been solved with this change although as far as I know there is no 2nd recall at this point.

If Hyundai cannot fix this issue before warranty ends I will be asking for a refund. In Australia it seems the Department of Fair Trading is the first port of call and a fellow poster here - Warwick is farther down this road than me. He also has had 6 flush and replace without permanent success. Probably a good idea to contact Warwick on this forum and also your UK counterparts as I think this may take concerted action on all our parts to get satisfaction. Keep in touch. Joey22

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just adding myself to the list, the warning having returned after about 4 months. In the first fix (under warranty in June 2022), the invoice stated:
Check Coolant light appearing on dash and report.
Carried out coolant flush as per TSB SF22016. Drained coolant, flushed with clean water and air, through hose. Carried out coolant bleed. Road tested, all okay.
Which it was. Until now.
About to book 24 mnth service, so will be including this issue. I'll report back if I learn anything of use.
Hi Mikey
Perhaps yourself, Warwick and I being in Australia should combine over this issue because it doesn't appear it will go away and we all probably have about 2 yrs of warranty left before this potentially becomes and expensive issue. I'll be wanting a refund before then and Warwick informs me the first point of call is Fair Trading and take it from there. If we all lodge complaints it will make our case very strong. Keep in touch Cheers Joey22 Brisbane

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are having the same issue with our 2020 Ioniq. We have had the light on numerous times and Hyundai in Brisbane keep flushing the coolant. We have also had the main battery replaced under warranty and now they claim the coolant has crystallized in the new battery. This is very frustrating.
Hi Ostofoo44. Being in Brisbane could we communicate over this issue? The more of us there are the stronger the case with Fair Trading for recompense. Cheers Joey22

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update from Joey22
Our Ioniq went to the dealership in Mt Gravatt Brisbane last Thursday 24/11/22 through Friday for its 6th or 7th coolant flush and refill with no replacement vehicle to be told Hyundai are now recommending a new radiator as some of the crystalyzed coolant may be trapped in the present one. Therefore an urgent order has been placed with Korea for a replacement. This could be weeks away. Meanwhile I have still to verify whether indeed the flush was carried out last week despite the need for a new radiator as this wasn't made clear and it takes a Technician off the floor for half a day so they may have left the flush out this time although the "Refill coolant" light has not reappeared at this point (finger crossed). Will try and find out Monday what happened but communication with Service can be problematic at times. They have however flagged the expensive 3rd service where the coolant is normally replaced(!!) will no charge. Small mercies but welcome
Joey22

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 EV
291 Posts
Out of curiosity: are those, who had this coolant warning, rather driving in warm/hot climate or also in mild/cold climate?
My Ioniq 38 was first registered Jan 2020 probably built around October 2019 at a guess, the car was not part of the battery recall/swap as according to Hyundai the battery was not assembled in the plant the problem batteries came from. I live in London, so temperatures are mostly mild with an occasional max of around 30C and a very occasional min of around -2C. I’ve covered 17k miles followed recommended annual services but have so far not seen the low coolant warning. The coolant level is currently just above the min level so I’m a little concerned about this issue. The Ioniq is perfect for my usage, and I intend to keep it as long as I can.

I’m hoping Hyundai are more than a little concerned about this issue and are working towards a solution, maybe some clever boffin will spot a common cause or the company that produces the coolant find a better formula that is not prone to crystallisation?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh Premium
145 Posts
Out of curiosity: are those, who had this coolant warning, rather driving in warm/hot climate or also in mild/cold climate?
I got the "refill coolant" warning in early October. If I remember correctly, the temperatures were nothing out of the ordinary, i.e. very mild (somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees C).

I needed to use the car so I drove it to my destination with the warning on (I cleared it the first time but it came back straight away). The car was then parked for about seven hours. When I then used it again, the warning had disappeared and I haven't seen it since. The car's going back a week tomorrow so I'm hoping it won't reappear before then...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,
I've got the same problem, it started just few weeks ago out of nowhere. Coolant level is perfectly fine of course. Since then, the warning appears more often. Car has done 40 000 km so far, the issue doesn't seem to be connected to the weather outside. Appeared during the hot october Indian summer as well as on the chilly november morning. When I instantly shut down the car and start it again, the warning is usually gone for the rest of the journey. Very annoying issue and since only some 500 ioniq EVs were sold in my country overall I doubt there will be any willingness to solve this now, when the car is already obsolete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with most here, it's not weather dependent.

My car has been in three times since it started back in October and the tech from the garage says the same thing each time ' we call Hyundai Tech and get told to flush the coolant..' but it does not work, I am waiting to hear back today about what's next for my car (4th time).

I really like the car I have done over 45K miles and not had much issues, this is a pain that's no doubt but one I will live with for the time being.

·
Registered
Silver 2019 Ioniq 38 Prem Plus EV
79 Posts
I've only noticed the warning 2 times - and didn't record the time/date/mileage.
If I had access to a service centre that was a tiny bit interested, I'd contact them - but my nearest is dreadful and my next nearest is nearly 3 hours away.
I would feel supported if I could telephone Hyundai central and have this logged.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My car has been in three times since it started back in October and the tech from the garage says the same thing each time ' we call Hyundai Tech and get told to flush the coolant..' but it does not work, I am waiting to hear back today about what's next for my car (4th time).
There are talks of a radiator change for some other people, maybe the inside of the radiators was subpar on some models? We'll see.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
990 Posts
FWIW what's the exact wording of the error message that comes up on UK version 38s? I just got a message 2 days ago during long trip, "Low Coolant Warning" or something like that. Checking after, my header tank is about 1cm below Min level of the blue stuff. So I'll get it topped up at the dealer. But is this the same error message associated with the crystallisation/blockage problem? Mine's an early 2019-built one, about 24k miles done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, it's a low coolant warning every time. I checked the level after it appeared for the first time, it was over the min level. Didn't contact the service cause I read this thread, I will have my car serviced for regular maintenance in some two months so will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh Premium
145 Posts
FWIW what's the exact wording of the error message that comes up on UK version 38s? I just got a message 2 days ago during long trip, "Low Coolant Warning" or something like that. Checking after, my header tank is about 1cm below Min level of the blue stuff. So I'll get it topped up at the dealer. But is this the same error message associated with the crystallisation/blockage problem? Mine's an early 2019-built one, about 24k miles done.
The warning that I got on my 38 last month was "REFILL COOLANT". The coolant level was exactly halfway between minimum and maximum and the warning hasn't reappeared since so I'm hoping it was just a glitch in my case.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts