Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can confirm what you wrote too: my dealer showed me heaps of crystals each time they flush the coolant.

I'm getting an Ioniq 5 next month and they are buying back my current 38k for more than I bought it (after bonuses, grants and so on) so I'm not fighting on this anymore, but I keep my hopes that this won't happen in e-GMP cars too...

Do note that the buyback of the car has no link with this issue, it's not compensation or anything, just a regular sales transaction.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
350 Posts
Yes Australian Consumer Law is quite strong.
With my protracted motor noise issue the dealer has always been good, better than the service department. On the last time I sent them a letter saying I was prepared to exise my right to a refund or replacement if they had not rectified it by a certain date. They said they couldn't guarantee it would be done by that date but if I wanted to extend it they would proceed with the repair. They didn't want me coming down demanding a refund after having ordered the parts so they were prepared for the eventuality of paying me out.
We wanted to keep our car and not go through the trouble of waiting how ever long for a replacement.
After the noise slightly came back I did talk to the dealer and they said I was still within my rights if it got worse which it hasn't. Still annoys me as it should be there but my partner doesn't hear it, no one else who's driven the car notices it so I'm going to live with it.

Dreading having the coolant changed at the next service based on this thread actually

·
Registered
3 Posts
The coolant error is back in my 2020 Ioniq (38 kwh), less than 3 weeks/750 km after they ran the coolant flush service. I knew it was a matter of time. I havent heard any discussion with Hyundai Canada on any buy backs. I am starting to regret my decision on buying the Hyundai over the Tesla.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2019
16 Posts
The coolant error is back in my 2020 Ioniq (38 kwh), less than 3 weeks/750 km after they ran the coolant flush service. I knew it was a matter of time. I havent heard any discussion with Hyundai Canada on any buy backs. I am starting to regret my decision on buying the Hyundai over the Tesla.
Based on my experiences with Hyundai Australia, you won't get any traction until you start the legal process. So perhaps start making the appropriate inquiries.

Yep should of bought a Tesla...

·
Registered
18 Posts
So it was less then a week after the flush that my car has the dreaded 'Refill Coolant' message reappear. It's back the the dealers again next week. I did not have a problem until the 40K service, but it is hard to know what caused it, I just want it sorted.

On another note, when looking around I found this about the battery, a recall happened last year that I have not been told about, my car might need a new main battery, my cars VIN number is between then numbers below.

Recall reference
R/2021/087

Recall Type
Car

Recall Date
2021-04-23

Reason for concern
POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL SHORT IN THE LITHIUM-ION BATTERY

Reason for recall
Potential electrical short in the lithium-ion battery.

Remedy
Initial step to limit the charge state followed by eventual complete replacement of the battery assembly.

How to check if the vehicle is recalled
Contact the local HYUNDAI dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.

How the manufacturer will repair
The Recalled vehicles will have the fixing checked and corrected as necessary by and official HYUNDAI service.

HYUNDAI Reference ID
IONIQ 11D044

Number of affected HYUNDAI cars

HYUNDAI vehicles affected
Model VINs Dates
IONIQ EV PE KMHC851JULU053116 to KMHC851JULU065256
2019-06-01 to 2020-01-31

With the issue with main battery coolant and this issue does it mean our cars are ticking time bombs...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've sent you my details
Thanks WarwickR. Could you tell me where I might find your response to me? My vehicle goes back to Keema Hyundai Mt. Gravatt for the 6th flush on Nov. 24 but I think a refund is what will ultimately be required. Nothing has worked to date and another problem was added 2 flushes ago when a ticking 26 times was heard when it was turned on. They managed to fix this in a subsequent visit. Joey22

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can confirm what you wrote too: my dealer showed me heaps of crystals each time they flush the coolant.

I'm getting an Ioniq 5 next month and they are buying back my current 38k for more than I bought it (after bonuses, grants and so on) so I'm not fighting on this anymore, but I keep my hopes that this won't happen in e-GMP cars too...

Do note that the buyback of the car has no link with this issue, it's not compensation or anything, just a regular sales transaction.
After showing my case to Hyundai customer care, they have decided to proceed with a buyback of my car as well. I'm pretty happy with this and I hope to get close to full purchase price. They seem eager to make me happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2019
16 Posts
Thanks WarwickR. Could you tell me where I might find your response to me? My vehicle goes back to Keema Hyundai Mt. Gravatt for the 6th flush on Nov. 24 but I think a refund is what will ultimately be required. Nothing has worked to date and another problem was added 2 flushes ago when a ticking 26 times was heard when it was turned on. They managed to fix this in a subsequent visit. Joey22
If you click on your name at the top right of the screen (user login), in the drop down menu you'll see 'conversations' my message will be in there.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2019
16 Posts
So it was less then a week after the flush that my car has the dreaded 'Refill Coolant' message reappear. It's back the the dealers again next week. I did not have a problem until the 40K service, but it is hard to know what caused it, I just want it sorted.

On another note, when looking around I found this about the battery, a recall happened last year that I have not been told about, my car might need a new main battery, my cars VIN number is between then numbers below.

Recall reference
R/2021/087

Recall Type
Car

Recall Date
2021-04-23

Reason for concern
POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL SHORT IN THE LITHIUM-ION BATTERY

Reason for recall
Potential electrical short in the lithium-ion battery.

Remedy
Initial step to limit the charge state followed by eventual complete replacement of the battery assembly.

How to check if the vehicle is recalled
Contact the local HYUNDAI dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.

How the manufacturer will repair
The Recalled vehicles will have the fixing checked and corrected as necessary by and official HYUNDAI service.

HYUNDAI Reference ID
IONIQ 11D044

Number of affected HYUNDAI cars

HYUNDAI vehicles affected
Model VINs Dates
IONIQ EV PE KMHC851JULU053116 to KMHC851JULU065256
2019-06-01 to 2020-01-31

With the issue with main battery coolant and this issue does it mean our cars are ticking time bombs...
The coolant issue is unrelated to the battery recall, my issues started before the battery change and have continued long after it. I suspect that Hyundai is now well aware that they have no rectification for the crystal issue and anyone who kicks up enough fuss will possibly get some sort of compensation depending on the local laws in that country.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
116 Posts
Do I understand correctly that the 2020+ classic Ioniq has the blue (low-conductivity) coolant, as does the 2020+ Kona?
So, do all of those affected have blue coolant? If not, then easy answer, but if so, then either colour is not a good indicator of coolant used or there is an issue with that coolant. Also, is it strictly coolant that is added, or is it a mixture with water?

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 38kwh
1 Posts
I having been going through the same problem in Brisbane. I put my car in yesterday for the fourth or fifth time to get the coolant flushed to resolve the refill coolant problem. Today I got the news that the radiator has a blockage and needs to be replaced. The part has been ordered presumably from Korea and may take 4 weeks to arrive. The car has been deemed VOR (vehicle off road) so I have been supplied a courtesy car until mine is fixed. My Ioniq 2020 has done 56,000kms. It’s been flawless until this point. It’s extremely frustrating that what seems to be a simple problem can’t be resolved. After reading in this forum about the problem and possible solutions, replacing the radiator seems to be a new method to resolve the original problem. I hope it is successful.

·
Registered
2018 Kona Electric
172 Posts
I see a Niro owner is reporting what he thinks is the same issue, low coolant warning after the dealer services the blue coolant. Given that this has the makings of an all out sh-storm for owners of Hyundai/Kia EVs using the low-conductivity (blue) collant, it would be great if someone could organise a sticky that is perpetually-editable so that the salient points could be kept up to date. You can imagine the exponential volume of questions that could be raised by this sort of issue and having a single up-to-date thread will save a lot of typing.

As the chief bottle-washer for gearbox issues I can see that coming ...

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
990 Posts
Agreed totally. Looks like the Ioniq 5 uses the same blue coolant, guys there asking about the costs of the 4-yearly swap. They're becoming aware of this thread, no crystallisation (or crystallization!) issues as yet 'coz it's a very new car, but give it a couple of years ... :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I having been going through the same problem in Brisbane. I put my car in yesterday for the fourth or fifth time to get the coolant flushed to resolve the refill coolant problem. Today I got the news that the radiator has a blockage and needs to be replaced. The part has been ordered presumably from Korea and may take 4 weeks to arrive. The car has been deemed VOR (vehicle off road) so I have been supplied a courtesy car until mine is fixed. My Ioniq 2020 has done 56,000kms. It’s been flawless until this point. It’s extremely frustrating that what seems to be a simple problem can’t be resolved. After reading in this forum about the problem and possible solutions, replacing the radiator seems to be a new method to resolve the original problem. I hope it is successful.
Hi RohanP67
My Ioniq ( purchased Jan. 2020) is currently at Keema Mt. Gravatt having its 6th flush and (apparently) a coolant replacement. The vehicle has done 29,670+ km and the problem has been with us for perhaps 18 months (sorry not sure offhand when the 1st warning appeared). The temporary solution when driving is to drive a short distance (metres), turn off then on again and the warning disappears until the next time.
We have also had one or two new coolant pumps (they have told me both stories) and a new main battery installed earlier this year because of the govt. recall. Will be interested to see if a new radiator fixes your problem although I suspect it is simply a symptom of the crystalyzing of the coolant. Please keep in touch as I suspect the problem doesn't end here. I have 2 years of warranty left to solve this issue. Meanwhile we can't drive up or down the coast with any confidence for fear of the dreaded warning surfacing. Joey22

121 - 140 of 160 Posts