Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
They told me the sensor is IN the battery pack.

Since I have a brand new battery pack due to the recall, I should have a new sensor aswell, but the issue is still here.

They just don't know and, due to the low amount of sales on that now end-of-life car, can't be bothered to figure it out.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
947 Posts
Vauxhall Ampera (= Chevy Volt Mk1) has a frequent coolant error message, shows up as a "Service High Voltage Charging System" message, known as "SHVCS". See this thread in similar-stuctured forum for info, and doing an Advanced Search in there for "SHVCS" will find lots of hits.
Oh no! Just got the 'Service high voltage charging...

On the Ampera, this error requires can require expensive trip to dealer to reset the error, something like if the error happens when the car's not in motion, then you're stuck. Sometimes it can be cleared while the car's on, I forget the precise details, but it's all in that link.

The workaround there has been to bypass the fluid-level sensor, located below the transparent coolant tank at very front of car, with a 24 kOhm resistor in place of the sensor. This sensor sits outside the tank, somehow measures the level of fluid above it (?ultrasonics? no idea) and reports the results by different resistance across the 2 terminals. I red that this device is common across many different makes of cars, so just maybe H use the same/similar item in our Ioniqs? Would be worth someone here taking a look at that thread, examining this sensor & reporting back the results here. This replacement resistor fits into a 3D-printed holder that mimics the original plug, and with a couple of terminal clips on it's known as the "SVHCS Defeat" device. See this post in that thread for pic, and link to the STL file for the holder. I made one for the Ampera I owned back then.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,691 Posts
As an engineer, I am convinced that there is no way it is a coolant problem. It is a sensor or software problem.
My pet theory is there's a kink somewhere in the plumbing that tiny air bubbles get trapped in, until they merge into a large enough bubble to form an air lock. Flushing or changing the coolant can clear it, but it will appear again if there's no permanent change made to the system (like a higher flow rate pump or a redesigned piece of plumbing). Why are some cars cursed but not others? It could be as simple as someone on the production line routing a flex hose the wrong way, or incorrectly installing a clamp. Leaks don't always flow out, sometimes tiny amounts of air gets sucked in instead.

Practical Engineering has a great video on air locks:

·
Registered
71 Posts
My pet theory is there's a kink somewhere in the plumbing that tiny air bubbles get trapped in, until they merge into a large enough bubble to form an air lock. Flushing or changing the coolant can clear it, but it will appear again if there's no permanent change made to the system (like a higher flow rate pump or a redesigned piece of plumbing). Why are some cars cursed but not others? It could be as simple as someone on the production line routing a flex hose the wrong way, or incorrectly installing a clamp. Leaks don't always flow out, sometimes tiny amounts of air gets sucked in instead.

Practical Engineering has a great video on air locks:

This is a really insteresting theory. That could explain why sometimes the error happens and other times not. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2020 model 38kw Ioniq electric
165 Posts
Vauxhall Ampera (= Chevy Volt Mk1) has a frequent coolant error message, shows up as a "Service High Voltage Charging System" message, known as "SHVCS". See this thread in similar-stuctured forum for info, and doing an Advanced Search in there for "SHVCS" will find lots of hits.

On the Ampera, this error requires can require expensive trip to dealer to reset the error, something like if the error happens when the car's not in motion, then you're stuck. Sometimes it can be cleared while the car's on, I forget the precise details, but it's all in that link.

The workaround there has been to bypass the fluid-level sensor, located below the transparent coolant tank at very front of car, with a 24 kOhm resistor in place of the sensor. This sensor sits outside the tank, somehow measures the level of fluid above it (?ultrasonics? no idea) and reports the results by different resistance across the 2 terminals. I red that this device is common across many different makes of cars, so just maybe H use the same/similar item in our Ioniqs? Would be worth someone here taking a look at that thread, examining this sensor & reporting back the results here. This replacement resistor fits into a 3D-printed holder that mimics the original plug, and with a couple of terminal clips on it's known as the "SVHCS Defeat" device. See this post in that thread for pic, and link to the STL file for the holder. I made one for the Ampera I owned back then.
I was hoping to do the same but I can't find a sensor anywhere. I'm not even sure if there is a sensor, it could be just done on a timer or km trigger and no one knows how to reset it.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV Premium SE 38.3kWh
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Having had my coolant flushed in January, now in September the warning has started appearing again. Been told battery swap is due any time, so I'll wait until that is done to see if issue goes away, at best temporarily. Got another 2 years guarantee so who knows if they are constantly flushing the coolant they may find a better solution by then.

Interestingly, last month when my car went for it's service, I was advised to change the coolant then as it's recommended by Hyundai at 40,000 miles. I pointed out mine had been fine earlier this year.

Has anyone had the problem permanently fixed (or no related warnings or a year or more) ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Having had my coolant flushed in January, now in September the warning has started appearing again. Been told battery swap is due any time, so I'll wait until that is done to see if issue goes away, at best temporarily. Got another 2 years guarantee so who knows if they are constantly flushing the coolant they may find a better solution by then.

Interestingly, last month when my car went for it's service, I was advised to change the coolant then as it's recommended by Hyundai at 40,000 miles. I pointed out mine had been fine earlier this year.

Has anyone had the problem permanently fixed (or no related warnings or a year or more) ?
Hi Martin.
Hyundai are going to charge you a fortune to change the coolant and this will not solve the problem.
They are going to flush the coolant, change the pump and so on and so forth. To date the don't know what is causing the problem, and aren't interested in rewriting the software to fix the problem.
At the end of the day we are stuck with a car that we can't sell because it keeps on coming up with an error warning.

·
Registered
165 Posts
T
It is a frustrating situation and they dealers have not been transparent, everytime I have had this issue they claim that it is an isolated incident and that what they have just done will resolve the issue but it always reappears. Reach out to WarwickR he is aiming to take thing further to have these issue resolved.
Thanks, Warwick and I have been chatting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve just had my coolant flushed and changed for the second time. Like last time, they say it was a real mess in there. Let’s see how long it lasts. I also have 2 years left in November on my warranty.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Like most of you, I am still plagued by the issue, my coolant was changed a grand total of five times so far (including the one they did for the battery swap).

They obviously have absolutely no idea. I plan on selling the car back to them when I buy my next car, so they have to deal with their incompetence and I don't.

I will lose some money by doing it like that, but I can't be bothered selling a car that I know is faulty to someone else and having that someone else then bother me because of it.

In the meantime they will be seeing a lot of me, if they have to change the coolant evey month, so be it. I might endup being the least worth it car they ever sold (5 times coolant, 1 battery pack, 1 full paint job, 1 charging port & most of the charging infrastructure behind it, and that's only so far...)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well, hopefully mine will still last ~6-8 months between flushes. I'll insist they keep doing them since the problem isn't solved. Hopefully when I come to sell the car (don't plan to soon) it will be while there is no warning.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do plan on keeping it until close to the end of the warranty, but no way I'm keeping a day past the warranty end date, as I'm fairly certain once it's not covered by warranty, it will cost an arm and a leg to do the coolant flush.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well since it's not part of the regular service schedule, and since each flush only keeps the car warning-free for a few months/weeks/days (depending on the various stories I see) I would argue that the fault has not been fixed even though it was brought to the attention of the garage while under warrantee, so any further fix should still be fixed for free.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
109 Posts
Well since it's not part of the regular service schedule, and since each flush only keeps the car warning-free for a few months/weeks/days (depending on the various stories I see) I would argue that the fault has not been fixed even though it was brought to the attention of the garage while under warrantee, so any further fix should still be fixed for free.
I agree. If you pay for a service and they haven't fixed it to your liking, or properly for that matter, then they would need to honour that or give back your money. While under warranty, they usually let it slide, as they bill H each time you come in for the service. However, if they are taking your money, then they would need to be more diligent, because you are covered under consumer protection and can threaten with a lawsuit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess this will depend on each country's law. In france once the date is passed is fairly to hard to argue "but you didn't fix it correctly while under warranty".

I do hope they will just figure it out though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I’ve just had my coolant flushed and changed for the second time. Like last time, they say it was a real mess in there. Let’s see how long it lasts. I also have 2 years left in November on my warranty.
I don't know why we always obsess about warranties, if they can't fix anything, there is no warranty to begin with really. They just use it as a threat to make us use there service centres.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know why we always obsess about warranties, if they can't fix anything, there is no warranty to begin with really. They just use it as a threat to make us use there service centres.
Good point, but while it’s in warranty you do get free ”fixes”. You can have the car serviced anywhere, as long as they stamp your book

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2019
5 Posts
A quick update from my end, Thanks to a bit of legal bantering and a letter of demand, the local dealer has requested to have my vehicle for a full week to run some ongoing tests for Hyundai. The car has been flushed 6 times in the past, the pumps, battery and several hoses have been replaced but the problem returns roughly 4 weeks after the last flush.

As it's been explained to me, there is a temperature sensor in the battery that turns the coolant system on and off as required, but this is not related to the refill coolant warning. The warning is generated by the rpm of the coolant pump, with the trigger point being 2550rpm. If your pump goes over that, the warning appears.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 EV
258 Posts
As it's been explained to me, there is a temperature sensor in the battery that turns the coolant system on and off as required, but this is not related to the refill coolant warning. The warning is generated by the rpm of the coolant pump, with the trigger point being 2550rpm. If your pump goes over that, the warning appears.
I'm no expert but that sounds like low fluid level to me or as mentioned before an air lock. I wonder if there is a venting proceedure to remove any trapped air they are not carrying out when replacing the fluid?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts