Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
301 - 320 of 353 Posts

· Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
129 Posts
Wait, hold on...As stated in thread #266, the "new" BSC-2 coolant is Blue (just like the original coolant). #251 states that the pink coolant is typical Hyundai coolant used in ICE vehicles. It may work (not crystallizing), but it is not "low-conductivity" for EVs.
It is important that to check your work orders/invoices if you recently had your Coolant flushed and refilled, to make sure that you are getting product number 00232-19111.
As mentioned within the past week, this is a new fix, and only going out to dealerships worldwide recently, so there is a chance that your car may not have been serviced with the proper fluid, even if you did it recently. Check the work order for the product number used.

We don't want to spread misinformation or incorrect solutions about the pink fluid until it is confirmed.

· Registered
21 Posts
Do we have an official TSB number we can quote to a dealership now? I note the ones mentioned so far in this thread are specifically for Tucson and Santa Fe, which I know my dealer will ignore as soon as they see it’s not for Ioniq.

· Registered
Ioniq 38,3
26 Posts
Do any of the informed contributors to this thread know what temperature the cooling pump kicks in? I have a theory that the crystallisation and hence fluid shrinkage results from the fluids exposure to higher temps. There seems to be some correlation between the coolant alarm occurances and milage and higher ambient temps ie Australia, US and Europe. I have noticed that the alarm in my car only comes on after a period of rapid charging and that the fan becomes audible when the charge rate climbs to 40KW. I've also noted that the sweet spot of 40KW charging has shrunk from 30 - 70% to 40 - 60% which I presume is a related effect. My car 3 years old 26K miles and operating in a relatively cool climate
That makes sense to me. I used to get coolant error warnings more often during the quite warm autumn period. In a winter time nowadays I get the warning only when starting the car after the 100km highway drive.
And yes, the fastest rapid charging window is much more narrow, it stays over 40kW sometimes only for a minute or so. But this might also be because of the outside temperature though.

· Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
1,117 Posts
Do we have an official TSB number we can quote to a dealership now? I note the ones mentioned so far in this thread are specifically for Tucson and Santa Fe, which I know my dealer will ignore as soon as they see it’s not for Ioniq.
My dealer was quite happy to be shown the TSB for the Santa Fes! Lady on the desk was v surprised I had it all to hand, printed out, and wondered if some other dealer had given it to me, as the general public aren't supposed to see them, she said! I explained it's all on the web if you know where to look!
My dealer's the same bunch as the lot doing the battery swaps down her road in Portsmouth, perhaps that helped.

· Registered
2020 model 38kw Ioniq electric
181 Posts
I have the pink fluid in my 38 Ioniq.
The coolant-warning hasn't reappeared since the change.
The dealer refuses to hand out a report for the work because it's payed by the warranty. So I don't have a part number of the fluid.
I would definitely try and get some documentation out of them. This might have been the dealer desperately trying experiments to solve the problem. If the coolant reacts with some alloy in the car and wrecks it, Hyundai might rebuff the warranty. I know from working at Mercedes Benz SA. if you use Honda coolant in a Merc it destroyed it and vice versa.

· Registered
Silver 2019 Ioniq 38 Prem Plus EV
86 Posts
So, 20 days after the work in Tilbury, I am still waiting for 'my' documentation - latest response from the Recall team: "There is some issues we are currently experiencing to create invoices for our customers. There will be a delay but I do aim to get this over to you as soon as possible."

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium SE 2020 38kw
16 Posts
I got the warnings before Christmas and then they cleared. Took to dealer and was out after 20mins as no fault codes and all looked ok. Problem back a couple of times I’m the last week so off to the dealer again next week. Sounds like the difficulty is going to be in demonstrating there’s an issue if it’s not present when I arrive at the dealers. No fault means no warranty authorisation to fix it.

in complete contrast to posts above - mine seems to be doing it when it’s cold, -2 ish or less.
This does make sense as would expect the coolant to contract when cold, so there is an outside chance the level could actually be a little low!? It does sit just at the minimum level… ( but dealer said ok)

· Registered
1,117 Posts
I got the warnings before Christmas and then they cleared.... so there is an outside chance the level could actually be a little low!? It does sit just at the minimum level… ( but dealer said ok)
FWIW I was getting the warnings a few weeks ago, and my level was low. Probably about 2cm below the min? I simply drove to the dealer to report it, and got them to top it up there & then, no cost to me. I've done a fair mileage since then and haven't seen the warning again.

It's impossible to know (without lots of flushing etc) if

a) there's a pressure-sensor in there, like one of those ?ultrasonic? ?infrared? non-contact things that sits outside a transparent plastic reservoir like these and measures the level and correctly reports this low-level as a variable resistance,

or b) actually some crystalisation-crud building up that's affecting the pump which then reports low level coolant,

or c) a combination of these.

I've not had the warning since, and have done a fair mileage since. I would have expected to see it if crud was the issue, but no.
As I'm having a battery-swap v soon now, I did emphasise that I might be getting the crystallisation problem & I wanted a full clearout & fluid change while they had the battery out to swap it. No way I want any chance of old crud in nice new battery!

So force your dealer to do a top-up, cost time is trivial, and might solve it for you.

· Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 EV
356 Posts
So force your dealer to do a top-up, cost time is trivial, and might solve it for you.
My coolant level was just under the minimum mark, I recently had a service and MOT, checking the coolant level when I got home its now just below the max level mark. So they must have topped it up, and yes its still blue.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone, thanks for the useful thread.

I had a 'Refill Coolant' warning last month and again yesterday. Car was serviced, 3 year service, last week and coolant was topped up.

Spoke with the service manager this afternoon and mentioned this thread, he was already ahead of me! They had one in last week with exactly the same issue and Hyundai sent up 'The special machine' to give it a proper flush.They still have that machine at the dealership so he has ordered in the Coolant and is taking mine in next week to use the same machine on my car and replace the coolant. He didn't give me the bulletin number but did say one had been issued and the other car had a lot of 'debris' in it when they used the machine on it last week.

I will report back what happens over the next few weeks and if I can get the bulletin number I will do and post here.

Fingers crossed the 'special machine' is the cure but at least Hyundai are acknowledging there is an issue.

John

· Registered
21 Posts
Hi Everyone, thanks for the useful thread.

I had a 'Refill Coolant' warning last month and again yesterday. Car was serviced, 3 year service, last week and coolant was topped up.

Spoke with the service manager this afternoon and mentioned this thread, he was already ahead of me! They had one in last week with exactly the same issue and Hyundai sent up 'The special machine' to give it a proper flush.They still have that machine at the dealership so he has ordered in the Coolant and is taking mine in next week to use the same machine on my car and replace the coolant. He didn't give me the bulletin number but did say one had been issued and the other car had a lot of 'debris' in it when they used the machine on it last week.

I will report back what happens over the next few weeks and if I can get the bulletin number I will do and post here.

Fingers crossed the 'special machine' is the cure but at least Hyundai are acknowledging there is an issue.

John
This is excellent news, thanks for the update!

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Can you let us know whether you get the pink or blue fluid plz? If the blue, plz quiz the mgr about the pink stuff, as we've seen one Ioniq 38 with that put in recently! Was that a mistake? Is it meant for Ioniq 5 & newer only? Or is it even newer than the 2nd version of the blue coolant? I just don't know!

· Registered
64 Posts
Ok……another one joins the gang!
I’ve had my Ioniq 38kWh from new almost 3 years to the day. On 11th Jan 23 it went in for its 40k mile service including the coolant.
‘Today, 1000 miles since the service, I saw my first ever ‘refill coolant’ message. Since then I’ve turned it off, parked for an hour, then restarted it and didn’t get the message and drove home.

I’ve obviously searched and come across this forum post after posting a message on a uk Ioniq FB forum. I’ve also dropped my dealer an email tonight explaining what I’ve experienced.

I’m in the uk and the only other issue I’ve had was a charging flap interlock failure that needed replacing. ( I also had a brand new Kona 64 a year ago….for 3 days….until the traction motor failed and I rejected the car….oh, and I had a new MG4 LR a few months ago that lasted a couple of weeks before I had to reject that!…..so the Ioniq has been by far the best car! lol)

Photos of the service sheet including part number of coolant that may or may not be accurate plus the dash.

I’ll now go back and look at all the messages on this thread again and report back when I hear from my dealer.

Car was on a 2 year lease, extended to 3 years when the Kona didn’t stay…..then extended to 4 after the MG4 debacle. So, another 12 months with it ahead……fingers crossed I can use it for most of that.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Paper

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Gauge Speedometer

301 - 320 of 353 Posts