Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
281 - 300 of 353 Posts

· Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
129 Posts
Funny thing, I looked up both part numbers on the Hyundai Dealership parts website, and the "newer" BSC-2 coolant is half the price of the original BSC-1 coolant. Also, both parts do not have a description nor mention coolant, they are both titled Hyundai Electric Vehicle Battery System. If it works, then the lower cost is a bonus.

· Registered
2020 model 38kw Ioniq electric
181 Posts
@kayan, great post! I've just had a load of "refill Coolant" warnings this w/e on my travels, so not sure if it's my genuinely-a-bit-low fluid, or the crystals problem starting. My 38 was made in 2019, so one of the earliest, has 25k miles on it.

I'm going to visit the dealer today to chat with the service manager in Southampton UK, they're a large dealership, & see what they say. I just did some digging, very interesting findings!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EARLY History:
here's a post showing the original Blue coolant as used in my 2019 Ioniq & other BEVs, this is the BSC-1 P/N 00232-19091. Blue Coolant

... and here's the August 2020 process to swap the HV battery, & refill using BSC-1. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179247-0001.pdf
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PRESENT Situation:
September 2022, here's a Kia Sorrento guy mentions Crystals forming, and the service guys deny knowing about this, but simply swap the coolant swap the coolant for a new one. To me, this says Kia & Hyundai both have this problem, and clearly know all about it by now. It also suggests to me that every car using the BSC-1 original coolant probably needs it swapping out. 2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid Coolant Refill Warning
But they don't want us all at once, so will doubtless wait until we complain! After all, some of these cars will get written off before any problem shows, so updating these would have been a wasted effort. Can't argue with that...

I've found the TSB 22-HC-002H you revealed, here's a link to it.
22-HC-002H Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin
and refers to "certain Tucson & Santa Fe hybrids" ! Crucially, it mentions "flush debris" and BSC-2 Coolant to be used.

This fits perfectly your post where it states ...TSB 22-HC-002H It's for a different vehicle but follow the same procedure.

You've given me great ammo to have a friendly chat with my local service manager - thanks again! :)

Edit later same day: BSC-2 Blue Low Conductivity Coolant is Hyundai P/N 00232-19111 acc to the TSB 22-HC-002H
I see a fundamental floor in their procedure. Point 7... what is the point of using low conductivity coolant if you are going to flood the system with water???

· Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
1,117 Posts
I think the idea is to flush the system with water, then blow it out with an airline. Could leave a trace of tap water I guess. Then they fill with the low-conductivity stuff, I suspect this is a 50% Glycol-de-ionised water mix + special additives, or along those lines. Pure water is an insulator, it's the impurities than get dissolved into it that do the conducting. Eg in school chem we learnt that table salt NaCl dissolves & ionises into Na+ & Cl- ions, which carry the electrical charge.

Maybe the special additives have some magic ingredient that mops up any loose ions, leaving the mix an insulator. Just a guess. Maybe a chemist in here knows better?

Reactions: KevinT

· Registered
10 Posts
An update on my 'Refill Coolant' warning... the car is currently at a UK main dealer for its 50000 mile service. They've advised that they've reported it to Hyundai technical, but there is currently no fix. It's fine ok to drive, but 'will be a bit annoying for a few weeks' until a recall is issued.

From this thread and since it started just after the 40000 mile service in October 2022, I'm not holding my breath.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Chiming in from Denmark with an Ioniq 2020 that has the refill coolant error. Visited the dealer today that said they are going to receive a machine from Hyundai next week and that Hyundai is running a "service campaign" for this issue. Don't know if that is just lingo to keep me "Happy' and patiently waiting..?
Picked up my car from the dealer today. This is what is on my 0 invoice: 20D140: OS EV AE EV COOLING SYSTEM CIRCUIT DEBRIS DISCHARGE AND COOLANT CHANGE
And for parts used it reads: 2L EV COOLANT BSC
Which is the blue fluid.

Let's see if this fixes the error, but i guess it looks like what many of you have been trough - which hasn't worked?

· Registered
10 Posts
I've just spoken to Hyundai UK - they've agreed to speak directly to the dealership as the formal technical response is to flush the system and change the coolant as @Nixz noted. Fingers crossed, but I'm impressed with that response from customer services.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Picked up my car from the dealer today. This is what is on my 0 invoice: 20D140: OS EV AE EV COOLING SYSTEM CIRCUIT DEBRIS DISCHARGE AND COOLANT CHANGE
Which is the blue fluid.

Let's see if this fixes the error, but i guess it looks like what many of you have been trough - which hasn't worked?
BSC is the coolant, but was it BSC-1, the old stuff as originally put in m,y 2019-built Ioniq, or was it the new BSC-2 stuff, still blue colour? Would be interesting to ask the gge what the part number was.

· Registered
2 Posts
Sharing my experience in case it’s useful:

Been seeing this Refill Coolant error intermittently on my early 2020 38kwh, but knew my 40k miles service was coming up so waited for that, because they change the coolant then anyway.

Told the dealer when I booked the service about the error. They said they knew about it and had 3 other cars in for the same issue.

It was in for two days.

After they completed the service and the work on Friday 20th Jan, they let me know that Hyundai had shipped them a new /special piece of kit the day before that is specified for a brand new TSB procedure. They had to flush all 5 sections of the coolant system, 5 times, for 5 minutes each time with this new piece of equipment. Apparently this is Hyundai’s proper fix and they’ll be sending these kits to all dealers for this issue.

Fingers crossed it works. I’ll keep you posted 👍 Appreciate you all sharing your own experiences!

· Registered
Ioniq 2020 38KWh, VW Passat GTE, Toyota Landcruiser, Alfa Spider S2
31 Posts

Been seeing this Refill Coolant error intermittently on my early 2020 38kwh, but knew my 40k miles service was coming up so waited for that, because they change the coolant then anyway.

Told the dealer when I booked the service about the error. They said they knew about it and had 3 other cars in for the same issue.

It was in for two days.

After they completed the service and the work on Friday 20th Jan, they let me know that Hyundai had shipped them a new /special piece of kit the day before that is specified for a brand new TSB procedure. They had to flush all 5 sections of the coolant system, 5 times, for 5 minutes each time with this new piece of equipment. Apparently this is Hyundai’s proper fix and they’ll be sending these kits to all dealers for this issue.

Fingers crossed it works. I’ll keep you posted 👍 Appreciate you all sharing your own experiences!
At last it seems like Hyundai are getting to grips with the issue. We should not be taking it out with the individual dealers as we are probably more informed than they are via this international forum. My dealer (in Aberdeen, Scotland) did a great job of the service but had received no information or procedures about flushing etc. so they topped it up with more of the same. I've not had any more alarms since but I've not been doing much rapid charging which in my case, at least, is the only thing that triggers the alarm. As an aside I'm otherwise very pleased with the after 2 years - it does exactly what its meant to do and is so efficient and linear in its range predictions which is so important for an electric car with a relatively small battery. We are fortunate enough to have a few other cars to choose from but unless it is a long journey of more than 200 miles this is the "go to" car for us.

· Registered
2017 Ioniq 28kWh
4 Posts
At last it seems like Hyundai are getting to grips with the issue. We should not be taking it out with the individual dealers as we are probably more informed than they are via this international forum. My dealer (in Aberdeen, Scotland) did a great job of the service but had received no information or procedures about flushing etc. so they topped it up with more of the same. I've not had any more alarms since but I've not been doing much rapid charging which in my case, at least, is the only thing that triggers the alarm. As an aside I'm otherwise very pleased with the after 2 years - it does exactly what its meant to do and is so efficient and linear in its range predictions which is so important for an electric car with a relatively small battery. We are fortunate enough to have a few other cars to choose from but unless it is a long journey of more than 200 miles this is the "go to" car for us.
The issue here is that the workshop guys aren't going on to the Hyundai service portal to get the information. Its all there, but they don't bother to look or download it.

· Registered
2017 Ioniq 28kWh
4 Posts

It was in for two days.

Been reading this (and other threads) for hours this evening and finally caught up on it all. Seems Hyundai have finally come up with a solution. It would be interesting to know what this "special piece of kit" is? I'm thinking it could be just an airline adaptor for blowing out the coolant lines?

· Registered
2020 model 38kw Ioniq electric
181 Posts
Been reading this (and other threads) for hours this evening and finally caught up on it all. Seems Hyundai have finally come up with a solution. It would be interesting to know what this "special piece of kit" is? I'm thinking it could be just an airline adaptor for blowing out the coolant lines?
It is unproven as yet. They have had solutions in the past which turned out to be bogus....except for the people who had their car refunded.

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium SE 38.3kWh
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Just to add my experience...

Just taken my car in for service at Hyundai Mansfield with the "refill coolant" light still occurring. They have completed the service and checked the coolant system for any leaks etc. They have also confirmed there is a TSB and that the new "tool" to treat this will be available next month, at which point they will have the car in again to carry out the procedure. I've also been promised my battery replacement next month (though through another dealer unfortunately) so who knows, maybe both will be fixed in the next few weeks.

· Registered
10 Posts
So, after collecting my Ioniq from Endeavour Colchester (friendly team) and having spoken to Hyundai Customer Service I'm expecting a formal 'campaign' in the UK in the next couple of months.

I'm guessing the number of reports here have reached the critical mass for the local market to treat it seriously.

No work was done during the 50k service, but both parties have said formal guidance to the dealers is on its way.

· Registered
6 Posts
Which is the blue fluid.

Update: got the error again last night, then again this morning and just called the dealer. They said they would call Hyundai and get back to me later today.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Has anyone actually had the miraculous pink fluid put into the original 28/38 Ioniqs? Or any Kona 39/64s? Maybe that's only suitable for the very Ioniq5/EV6 generation.

Edit: Answer yes, see here: Coolant Warning

281 - 300 of 353 Posts