Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wasn't aware that the Inoniq has shutters in the grille that closes for better aerodynamics. What do the shutters do when they're open and would the lack of this grille affect the all electric model?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't aware that the Inoniq has shutters in the grille that closes for better aerodynamics. What do the shutters do when they're open and would the lack of this grille affect the all electric model?
I guess when you're at lower speeds, the lack of air movement requires the shutters to be open for cooling reasons ?

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is just me or are you guys also seeing a bit of the older Prius design in the Ioniq? Almost a smart move for them to do that, as it has been the long standing look people have been used to for a 'green' car.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The side profile and entire roof line reminds me of the Prius. It almost looks like they took the Prius and made some front and rear end changes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd say that inasmuch as it was branded the "Prius killer," it was patterned after the Prius. And, I suspect they did a good job compared to the 2015 Prius. The problem is, the 2016 Prius made a quantum leaf forward mechanically and performance wise. But Toyota may have handed Hyundai a large gift when they wrapped all the innovations in an ugly wrapper. In additions, Toyota is offering weird combinations of standard and options. To get popular options, you must buy a vehicle loaded with undesirable options.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looking at it like that, it was smart they made it look the part, the Prius did after all sort of define the segment, so being they have that influence, following in those footsteps to lay a foundation is key. I guess the next generation Ioniq will be truly unique to Hyundai?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looking at it from now, it seems to be the most ideal thing to do, unless the Ioniq does good enough to only require small incremental updates in design, not all car makers go for completely different designs every generation. Some look more like facelifts than what they're supposed to represent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Majority of the time it's just minor facelifts. I mean.. if somethings working, then by all means, minor changes are great. But then we have vehicles like the Ford Fusion. Look at the drastic changes it had to make before it really became a hit

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was at the Auto Show this year, to research hybrids. In comparing the Prius and the Ioniq, I noticed the the Prius is lower to the ground. I didn't like that as it made it harder for me (ad my lousy knees) to get in & out of it, not to mention making me wonder how it would get around in snow.

·
Registered
467 Posts
May also have some Prius like curves because Hyundai needs to get to a very low wind drag profile. The Prius has the same requirement. That profile has a general shape to it. Part of how we get the higher fuel efficiency is clean aerodynamics. Toyota has put some careful tweaks into the shape over the years to optimize the aerodynamics over the car and even more-so in managing the airflow under the car to reduce drag. The two cars are going to have some similar appearances because of this.

This is also part of why the Ioniq has notably better mileage than the Niro. Niro's design is for the Crossover look, not optimized for aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I was at the Auto Show this year, to research hybrids. In comparing the Prius and the Ioniq, I noticed the the Prius is lower to the ground. I didn't like that as it made it harder for me (ad my lousy knees) to get in & out of it, not to mention making me wonder how it would get around in snow.
Prius doors also don't open as wide and seem to my eye to be shorter fore:aft making the aperture smaller. I really like the Ioniq rearward seat movement as it widens the effective aperture with door part-open and makes access and egress easier - my knees are also b***ered.

Still doesn't stop me scuffing the drivers side door pocket with my shoes or boots, though...:eek:

Reactions: Sara-s

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Ioniq does not come with a spare tire. That affects the total weight, used to determine their EPA mileage rating. I wonder if the Prius comes with a spare? If it does, that would be relevant when comparing their mileage ratings.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I bought a spare wheel in my Ioniq. Dont have the impression that its extra weight of 5 kg really affects my fuel economy. Accomplish 1:25km with hardly any effort.
And BTW : How much trash people are carrying with them without any notice. I ditched my compressor and PUR fluid bottle. Saves another 4 pounds. Look in your glove compartment for things you can dump. Dont take hitchhikers. Etc.etc. A lot of fuzz about nothing. Like BC told us: get that pound of lead out of your right boot. Only that will save your wallet. In Holland we call it the new style of driving.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
May also have some Prius like curves because Hyundai needs to get to a very low wind drag profile. The Prius has the same requirement. That profile has a general shape to it. Part of how we get the higher fuel efficiency is clean aerodynamics. Toyota has put some careful tweaks into the shape over the years to optimize the aerodynamics over the car and even more-so in managing the airflow under the car to reduce drag. The two cars are going to have some similar appearances because of this.

This is also part of why the Ioniq has notably better mileage than the Niro. Niro's design is for the Crossover look, not optimized for aerodynamics.
Yep, the laws of aerodynamics don't change much, and cars need to be designed to be cars, not bullets or eggs.
The most aerodynamic vehicle on the road is the MonoTracer

Drag Coefficient of about 0.19 (Ioniq 0.24) but the compromises for that aerodynamic purity compromise it's use as a `car` tandem seating for two, single track, etc, etc.

It's why cars all look alike these days - there is very little that can be done differently and still be commercially acceptable.

Still doesn't explain why the Prius is as ugly as a bucket of sick, mind...:eek:

Reactions: LordEntropy

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a spare wheel in my Ioniq. Dont have the impression that its extra weight of 5 kg really affects my fuel economy. Accomplish 1:25km with hardly any effort.
I am planning on this same approach. What type of spare wheel did you get? I will be picking up my EV on 17-Jun.

·
Super Moderator
2,083 Posts
The Ioniq does not come with a spare tire. That affects the total weight, used to determine their EPA mileage rating. I wonder if the Prius comes with a spare? If it does, that would be relevant when comparing their mileage ratings.
The UK models come with a spare tyre .I don't think it has a huge impact on fuel returns as I'm getting about 67 mpg UK . I could take the spare out for a few thousand miles to check the theory , but I don't think I'll risk it ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts