Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric Preferred Iron Grey
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I found on the Leaf forums this issue was related to the 12V battery. But wondering if any members here have had this issue and what the issue/fix was?

I have been charging at a DC quick charger every week, once or twice a week with no issues until recently. Now the charger fails to communicate with the vehicle before starting or shortly after the charge has started. The issue came up about a month ago and went away for a week or so. It started happening with more regularly last week and now it is to the point I have to connect to a charger about five times to get it going and will not charge for more than 2-3 minutes at a time if I am lucky enough to get it to start at all. I have a 2020 Ioniq Electric.

It's still under warranty and all. I'm just looking for known issues and fixes because I'm not confident that my dealership will be able to find the issue since they dont have a DC QC (and there isn't one within 60km of them) and I'm one of maybe five customers that have purchased the latest model Ioniq Electric there (rural area).

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,218 Posts
AC charging uses simple PWM signaling on the Control Pilot signal so tolerates poor connections fairly well. DC fast charging however uses a high speed bi-directional communications protocol that's a lot more sensitive. In some cases keeping the charging cable firmly pushed into the car during the initial handshake can help, but probably not as much as a good cleaning of the signalling pins.

For cleaning, I'm not sure if you can get a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol into the connector on the car or not, but if you can then the critical signal pins are in the upper 5-pin round portion of the CCS connector. Clean the Ground pin at the bottom centre of the 5-pin section, and the smaller Control Pilot pin to its left. Ignore the two larger pins at the top, those are the AC connections, and definitely ignore the two giant fat pins in the oval section below the 5-pin circle, as those are the high voltage DC connections to your battery. A contactor in the car keeps these DC pins safely disconnected from the battery until charging actually starts (i.e. after communication with the charger is successful), but still, they're not involved in the handshake so just avoid touching/cleaning them since better safe than sorry.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
26 Posts
AC charging uses simple PWM signaling on the Control Pilot signal so tolerates poor connections fairly well. DC fast charging however uses a high speed bi-directional communications protocol that's a lot more sensitive. In some cases keeping the charging cable firmly pushed into the car during the initial handshake can help, but probably not as much as a good cleaning of the signalling pins.

For cleaning, I'm not sure if you can get a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol into the connector on the car or not, but if you can then the critical signal pins are in the upper 5-pin round portion of the CCS connector. Clean the Ground pin at the bottom centre of the 5-pin section, and the smaller Control Pilot pin to its left. Ignore the two larger pins at the top, those are the AC connections, and definitely ignore the two giant fat pins in the oval section below the 5-pin circle, as those are the high voltage DC connections to your battery. A contactor in the car keeps these DC pins safely disconnected from the battery until charging actually starts (i.e. after communication with the charger is successful), but still, they're not involved in the handshake so just avoid touching/cleaning them since better safe than sorry.

Good luck!
After cleaning these pins, do they need to be coated to protect them from corrosion? Would something like di-electric grease work? I've noticed that many of the Level 3 chargers in Vancouver are coated with some sort of white grease. Not sure if they are put on the pins or over the CCS connector as a lubricant, to assist with insertion (no...get your mind out of the gutter).

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,218 Posts
After cleaning these pins, do they need to be coated to protect them from corrosion? Would something like di-electric grease work? I've noticed that many of the Level 3 chargers in Vancouver are coated with some sort of white grease.
I thought about recommending dielectric grease in my original post, but then googled it and the jury's still out on that one. Apparently the stuff itself isn't conductive, so it's definitely an apply and wipe-off sort of thing if you do decide to use it, you just want to leave the thinnest of films on the surface of the pins. In theory the connector's contact wipers will find their way through that film, and for low voltage signal connections like the Control Pilot it shouldn't be a big deal. You wouldn't want to use it for any of the high current AC or DC power pins though, or even the ground pin, at the risk of it adding some resistance to the connection.

Reactions: vanctour
1 - 4 of 4 Posts