Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Confused about LED headlight conversion

Tags
headlight led
6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Spile 
#1 ·
I’m really confused about converting my low beam headlights to LED. I’ve seen the threads on this forum that discuss LED headlight conversion, but I am still confused. Apparently, it doesn’t seem as easy as getting a bulb to replace the old one. Suddenly I’m getting buried with new terms: “G10”, “G7S”, “H7”— what do all these mean?! Do I really need an adapter or would buying the part on Amazon be sufficient? Could someone teach me what I need to know so I could get EXACTLY what I would need for my 2018 Ioniq?
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
You'd have to see what bulb your low beams take. I'm assuming you have the base model blue/SE hybrid in the US? If so they're the H7 bulbs. Also, with most LED conversions (including mine) the cap won't fit once it's installed. You have to get a 3D printed cap, modify the current ones on there, or just not use one. I highly recommend you don't do that third one. The 3D printed caps work great. Just look in your booklet and see what bulbs yours uses for the low beam (and high beam if you're going to convert those as well).

It takes quite a bit of time to do so make sure you have the proper tools and parts (including the adapter) to do it as explained in this guide. Low Beam LED Conversion Guide on this forum.

I also used bulbfacts.com to find the bulbs I wanted to use for the conversion. Shows various info including brightness in projection and reflective casings. I ended up using the Hikari Ultra LED kit for the low beams. Not the brightest one overall but was the top rated one for the mid teir cost options.

Reactions: EyedocofCO
#3 ·
You absolutely need the adapter. LASFIT sends one with the kit. (AMAZON-$99) they are the only ones that I have seen that do. IT is specific to the ioniq. You will also need a dust cover for the bulb housing that is longer than the original. Otherwise the housing, lens, bulb, are exposed to elements. It is absolutely worth the money. On my Ioniq Blue there is a 10mm nut on the housing to adjust the aim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.