Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I have asked this DJ in a personal message to respond to these posts.

Reactions: woods

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
The Norwegian range test (see the beginning of this thread) was at 80-100 km/h.

Reactions: evstyle

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Norwegian range test (see the beginning of this thread) was at 80-100 km/h.
Basically, we have two datapoints. One more or less best case (relatively slow, clear moderate weather) and one nearly worst case (very fast, if you are like me and consider ~120-130kph/~75-80mph pretty darned fast, moderate to heavy rain)

Hopefully we'll see more tests in a variety of (more realistic) conditions soon.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
268 Posts
Hopefully we'll see more tests in a variety of (more realistic) conditions soon.
And unrealistic ones as well! I’m sure some clown will start hypermiling an IONIQ 5 soon & demonstrate a range of 1,000 km at an average speed of 30 km/h.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are the US and European bigger batteries different technologies? Different capacities or one is gross capacity 77kwh and the other net capacity 73kwh ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are the US and European bigger batteries different technologies? Different capacities or one is gross capacity 77kwh and the other net capacity 73kwh ?
i’m betting it’s just regulatory nonsense and one group is more strict than the other in its definitions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i’m betting it’s just regulatory nonsense and one group is more strict than the other in its definitions.
That's an interesting thought, but the estimated range ratings are different, so I'm inclined to think they're actually different units for some reason. (The US big battery is also the same size as the EV6's big battery everywhere, which is a curious detail)

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's an interesting thought, but the estimated range ratings are different, so I'm inclined to think they're actually different units for some reason. (The US big battery is also the same size as the EV6's big battery everywhere, which is a curious detail)
again, probably because of some regulatory nonsense. Why else would they not just make the same one everywhere?

Only other nonsense I can think of is some material thing that made them swap half way through. Which isn't really nonsense but reality.

·
Registered
251 Posts
again, probably because of some regulatory nonsense. Why else would they not just make the same one everywhere?

Only other nonsense I can think of is some material thing that made them swap half way through. Which isn't really nonsense but reality.
Yeah, idk. My guess would be supply chain details, or just thinking (rightfully) would want every bit of capacity that we can get. I remember them saying way back that the batteries were coming from a couple different manufacturers, so maybe the two manufacturers have slightly different chemistries that produce different capacities? (The SK Innovation pack is NMC 811, we know that much).

As much as I think he's a grump, hopefully Munro will do a teardown at some point and we'll get to see some details about the battery pack (though he'd have to have two from different places to compare the packs)

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
337 Posts
Chemistry and developments can be used to increase the battery capacity within the same battery compartment. I site the Chevy Bolt which had a 60 kWh battery through 2019, but in 2020 went to a 66 kWh battery. That was a 10% increase. And the battery was still LG Chem technology.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Chemistry and developments can be used to increase the battery capacity within the same battery compartment. I site the Chevy Bolt which had a 60 kWh battery through 2019, but in 2020 went to a 66 kWh battery. That was a 10% increase. And the battery was still LG Chem technology.
So you think it got changed part way through the process and not in time for the other countries maybe?

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
356 Posts
So you think it got changed part way through the process and not in time for the other countries maybe?
There have been reports if different voltages for all batteries. Don't have the source

Might be a weight issue. Big battery Id3/id4 are only 4 seaters over here there the smaller pack seats 5

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73kw on order
15 Posts
Read this post: Ioniq 5 - Battery Overview
The EV platform has room for 32 cells, however 72,6 kw ioniq 5 is only using 30. US version uses all 32, just as the KIA EV6 does. But yes, with batteries improving all the time, expect the platform to go up in KW the next few years. I am curious if the hyundai group has a top range car in development on this platform like Tesla 3 and what the max range is they can get out of this platform. EV6 and Ioniq 5 are both SUV crossovers, Ioniq 6 is looking like a roadstar but probably will emphasize performance over range. In theory I guess they should be able to build an Ioniq 2.0 that has around 380 mile / 600 km range on this platform.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
550 Posts
Read this post: Ioniq 5 - Battery Overview
The EV platform has room for 32 cells, however 72,6 kw ioniq 5 is only using 30. US version uses all 32, just as the KIA EV6 does. But yes, with batteries improving all the time, expect the platform to go up in KW the next few years. I am curious if the hyundai group has a top range car in development on this platform like Tesla 3 and what the max range is they can get out of this platform. EV6 and Ioniq 5 are both SUV crossovers, Ioniq 6 is looking like a roadstar but probably will emphasize performance over range. In theory I guess they should be able to build an Ioniq 2.0 that has around 380 mile / 600 km range on this platform.
They are busy with it, but they don’t want to be a pioneer. They give 8 year warranty on an EV battery.
The Ioniq 6 will be a drop shaped car for extending the range compared to the Ioniq 5,

The Ioniq 7 will be a big jeep.

I'm glad Hyundai only releases SK (South Korean) batteries that have been tested through and through. I don't want to be a tester of the Chinese CATL batteries, supplier of Tesla, VW group and BMW. Batteries that you can only charge half way, batteries that still indicate 14% driving range and make you stop. Just ask the owners of Tesla 3 and Y, which are manufactured in China and make use of CATL. The Chinese test on non-Chinese cars, if there's a problem with that, that's an anti-advertising for the American or European cars. Once they are through the pilot phase, they will install these batteries in Chinese cars.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
356 Posts
The Ioniq 6 will be a drop shaped car for extending the range compared to the Ioniq 5,
View attachment 35036
That is what I'm looking for "Ioniq 28 2.0". Hopefully we will get a small battery RWD option that can come closer to the classic ioniq speaking of efficiency. Keep the lift back and hopefully add a frunk!

81 - 100 of 142 Posts