Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona Highlander electric
122 Posts
i don’t know if it has been stated anywhere, but I think given the three modes are called Eco, Normal and Sport in the videos I’ve seen, I would hope the official figures come from Normal mode.
Yeah, whatever they’re called, I’d like to see the differences in range for each.

BTW my Kona EV also has a 4th mode = Eco+. This reduces just about everything including reducing max permissible speed to eke out the last dregs of battery power. I think it’s called “limp home mode” in ICE cars. It’s accessed by holding down the driving mode button for several seconds. I had presumed this was available on all Hyundai EVs. But perhaps not?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, whatever they’re called, I’d like to see the differences in range for each.

BTW my Kona EV also has a 4th mode = Eco+. This reduces just about everything including reducing max permissible speed to eke out the last dregs of battery power. I think it’s called “limp home mode” in ICE cars. It’s accessed by holding down the driving mode button for several seconds. I had presumed this was available on all Hyundai EVs. But perhaps not?
Hmm not that I’ve seen anywhere, the only 4th mode on the Ioniq 5 appears to be a “Snow Mode”

·
Registered
73 Posts
My worst case scenario is a 220 mile/354 km trip (round trip) in winter with ambient temperature around -10 to 0c. Namely, to go skiing :) Given the current stats, it seems highly unlikely that I'll make this on one charge even with the larger 77.4 kWH battery pack. Luckily there are some DCFC chargers near the destination, so I can at least charge before heading home.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My worst case scenario is a 220 mile/354 km trip (round trip) in winter with ambient temperature around -10 to 0c. Namely, to go skiing :) Given the current stats, it seems highly unlikely that I'll make this on one charge even with the larger 77.4 kWH battery pack. Luckily there are some DCFC chargers near the destination, so I can at least charge before heading home.
That'll be the question, won't it? Right now, we've essentially seen near best case and near worst case (note, it wasn't really that cold, but it was quite rainy and he was driving faster than average for most US roads. Pretty aggressive under the circumstances) both with the international battery (the latter was on 20" wheels, both AWD). We have no idea how good the heat pump is, and of course winter driving depends on how wet/snowy the road surface is. I'm hoping we can expect at least 200 miles under most realistic conditions on the US AWD version with 19" wheels (though it sounds like maybe the top trim will not be available with 19" wheels, but we don't know yet). I'm probably more anxious about range than I ought to be, but also not so anxious to disregard the model (It helps that at least a couple high speed charging stations are being planned for my "worst case" route)

·
Registered
2020 Kona Highlander electric
122 Posts
i don’t know if it has been stated anywhere, but I think given the three modes are called Eco, Normal and Sport in the videos I’ve seen, I would hope the official figures come from Normal mode.
I hope so too, but fear figures might be from eco.

Different names for different markets I guess. In Aus current Hyundai EVs have sport, comfort, eco & eco+.

[From what others have said eco+ may not be available in all markets. In Aus it’s kind of hidden: activated by holding down the mode button for several seconds. It extends range by shutting down most activity except low speed driving. Good if you're prone to range anxiety.]

·
Super Moderator
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Here's another data point... His results were really quite poor, that is rather worrisome. That number doesn't track with other reports, which is pretty strange. I'd be surprised if weather could have that dramatic an effect on efficiency. Consumption more than 2x optimal
At the German forum, it was found out that his driving was very far from normal:
I also found the "test" of Battery Life disturbing. But now he has added another video and you can see the speedometer and what else he has done in between. Several times from 0-100, pedal to the metal etc. Everything that a "normal - even combustion" driver does not or rarely does (motorway sometimes at 150-180km / h). I got the impression that he wanted to make the Ioniq look worse in order to make a certain brand look better.
And yes the battery heater was on.

See post of Robs80 at: Realverbräuche - Seite 30 - IONIQ 5 - Batterie, Reichweite • Hyundai IONIQ 5 - Elektroauto Forum

Edit
It turns out that the latter concerns a different trip, so, not the same as discussed in the first quote.

Reactions: KrPtNk and chui

·
Registered
106 Posts
At the German forum, it was found out that his driving was very far from normal:

See post of Robs80 at: Realverbräuche - Seite 30 - IONIQ 5 - Batterie, Reichweite • Hyundai IONIQ 5 - Elektroauto Forum
He posted another video today in which he drove even faster and complained that the acceleration wasn't powerful enough... I'm inclined to agree that his test was not remotely reasonable (who drives that fast in heavy rain?), though that does mean we'll have to hope other people do more reasonable tests in a variety of conditions. I'd also like to see someone show how the rear window behaves in heavy rain (He was complaining that it was "completely full" of rain, even at speed. Granted, I don't think any of us would argue that a rear wiper would be nice, I don't think Battery Life is really trustworthy).

I hope so too, but fear figures might be from eco.

Different names for different markets I guess. In Aus current Hyundai EVs have sport, comfort, eco & eco+.

[From what others have said eco+ may not be available in all markets. In Aus it’s kind of hidden: activated by holding down the mode button for several seconds. It extends range by shutting down most activity except low speed driving. Good if you're prone to range anxiety.]
Battery Life's numbers were ostensibly in eco mode, but he was driving like a maniac in heavy rain. I don't know about Asian Petrolhead's, but in his videos he seems to mostly drive in eco mode. IMO that's a reasonable setting for a range test. Especially for highway driving, there is little benefit or point to, say, sport mode except for short bursts (and that's just pressing a button to switch modes). For my part, I'd probably drive in normal mode in city driving, eco on the highway, with occasional bursts of sport (say, for accelerating onto the highway, or for fun).

That actually makes me wonder: How does regen setting impact overall efficiency (and in city vs highway driving? I'd presume it's next to useless on the highway)

·
Registered
29 Posts
To be fair to Battery Life, everything in the most recent video was done in the ~45 minutes before he gave the car back, after he had completed the range test from the first video and recharged.. so none of that contributed to the poor results in the first video.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I want the Ioniq to be efficient. I think that should be Hyundai’s top priority. Comfort and convenience should, in a rational world concerned with sustainable resource management not be at the top of a buyer’s preference. But it is for most people and Hyundai is in business to make money so they have made a rather large, but very appealing car. The range loss from the awd Limited model is concerning, but I have been seduced by many of its features. Do 20” wheels make sense? Not really for my needs. I saw that size up close on a new car and they just looked huge.

I would like the car to be smaller and lighter than it is. I would like for it to be the industry leader in its efficiency, but any purchase is a compromise and I am excited by the prospect of owning one.
Planning on driving my wonderfully efficient Ioniq 28 for another ten years! I'd take the Ioniq 5 in a heartbeat, but it'll be a long, long time before anyone cracks another EV capable of ~11kWh/100kms.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,123 Posts
Snowboarding is why I bought the plugin Ioniq two years ago. My round trips are 400 km, and in the morning I just want to get to the hill while at the end of a long day I just want to get home. If the ski resorts simply had level 2 ac chargers in their parking lots it would be game changing. You don't need a fast charger when parked there for 6+ hours, that easily puts at least another 200 km 'back in the tank' of any EV. Maybe your resort has some level 2 chargers?

Reactions: rogu3

·
Registered
73 Posts
Snowboarding is why I bought the plugin Ioniq two years ago. My round trips are 400 km, and in the morning I just want to get to the hill while at the end of a long day I just want to get home. If the ski resorts simply had level 2 ac chargers in their parking lots it would be game changing. You don't need a fast charger when parked there for 6+ hours, that easily puts at least another 200 km 'back in the tank' of any EV. Maybe your resort has some level 2 chargers?
Great point. It does look like my preferred resort (Breckenridge) has about 10 level 2 chargers that could be used, so that would be a viable option. Of course, with only 10 available I'd probably have to get their sufficiently early to ensure that I'd get one.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
That'll be the question, won't it? Right now, we've essentially seen near best case and near worst case (note, it wasn't really that cold, but it was quite rainy and he was driving faster than average for most US roads. Pretty aggressive under the circumstances) both with the international battery (the latter was on 20" wheels, both AWD). We have no idea how good the heat pump is, and of course winter driving depends on how wet/snowy the road surface is. I'm hoping we can expect at least 200 miles under most realistic conditions on the US AWD version with 19" wheels (though it sounds like maybe the top trim will not be available with 19" wheels, but we don't know yet). I'm probably more anxious about range than I ought to be, but also not so anxious to disregard the model (It helps that at least a couple high speed charging stations are being planned for my "worst case" route)
I would not expect the top model to have an option of 19" wheels but weirder things have happened. I believe it will come w 20's only. Based on the video posted above on range test in USA w an AWD Long range getting 453km I am optimistic about the LR RWD getting close to 500, lets hops so

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you travel there via I-70? If so, it seems like the EA at Frisco would be an easy plan B if you don't get plug time at the resort. Or maybe just start lobbying them now for more L2 stations!
I live south of Denver so I usually take rt.24, especially since I-70 is so often a parking lot. But good point, the EA station in Frisco isn't that much out of the way in terms of charging before heading home.

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
17 Posts
You need a fast charger whenm you go to charge and there are multiple vehicles waiting. Serioulsy lame when peeps leave their car plugged in then leave for hours, f that

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would not expect the top model to have an option of 19" wheels but weirder things have happened. I believe it will come w 20's only. Based on the video posted above on range test in USA w an AWD Long range getting 453km I am optimistic about the LR RWD getting close to 500, lets hops so
In the US the top model is available in awd with 20” or rwd with 19”. Maybe you will have the same option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You need a fast charger whenm you go to charge and there are multiple vehicles waiting. Serioulsy lame when peeps leave their car plugged in then leave for hours, f that
I thought the same thing when I started a thread about charging at my business. Turns out that isn't the way? People want the slow charge!
In the US the top model is available in awd with 20” or rwd with 19”. Maybe you will have the same option.
I can promise anyone posting a thread
“Who wants to swap their 19s for my 20s” will see success. and you can get some on an even trade.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts