Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I wait patiently for my I5 (w HDA2) to arrive next month, I saw Comma 3 now supports Ioniq 5's w/ HDA2... Interesting 馃

If you aren't familiar, Comma 3 is an aftermarket level 2+ driver assistant device running Openpilot software that many say is even better than Tesla's Autopilot

Here is what Comma's site says about support for I5:

"Openpilot upgrades your Hyundai Ioniq 5 with automated lane centering at all speeds, and adaptive cruise control that automatically resumes from a stop."

For someone who has yet to try HDA2, what do you guys think? Anyone getting Comma 3 or is HDA2 good enough as a driver assistant on those long stretches?

Registered
2022 AWD Ultimate Johnny 5
HDA2 is already pretty good and it will let you drive handsfree for 1-3 minutes at a time before it prompts you to touch the steering wheel. HDA2 already has automated lane centering, adaptive cruise and resume from stop. I would have a hard time paying $2800 U$ (comma 3, I5 harness, harness box, panda box) so it can be handsfree for longer periods of time.

Registered
I've been using OpenPilot for 5+ years on a number of different vehicles, and it's hard to overstate how great it is. Many videos on YouTube show it drive for hundreds of miles at a time flawlessly, which is my experience of having done numerous cross country roadtrips where the data came back showing 99% driven by OpenPilot. HDA2 is not comparable. This was a critical part of why I bought an Ioniq 5. If you have an HKG E-GMP car this is a no brainer.

Do know that as for today, for HKG vehicles specifically (and many but not all others, depends on make of vehicle), OpenPilot is latitudinal only (relies on cars longitudinal, which thankfully is quite good). By years end this should hopefully change, at which point the HDA2 E-GMP cars will likely be the best OP cars on the road, capable of navigating more similarly to Tesla FSD rather than Autopilot - e.g. input directions, it takes you there. I think it's more likely to be a few months into next year by the time we see that, but it's a little too far out to say for certain.

Also the e-gmp cars have CAN-FD, which is a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that we're likely to be the first vehicles capable of Tesla FSD like routing, the curse is that in order to process CAN-FD data you'll need a red panda and additional harness box (two harness boxes total, one harness, one red panda, a couple usb cables). The full price is closer to $3k rather than $2k if you're buying new and not upgrading from a previous setup.

Registered
Use it with my I5 daily. As for videos there's 5+ years worth of YouTube videos of OpenPilot working for many thousands of people across hundreds of makes of cars, I wouldn't bother to make my own. I'd say this one is highly representative of the experience you can expect, but our Ioniq 5's can take even tighter turns (ultimately 90 degree turns):

OpenPilot also can be enabled on all roads, it's not just a highway thing. Will steer beautifully through intersections as well, but again, only latitudinal for our vehicles for now. If you get really into it you can try other forks with even more features too, like soon sunnypilot will likely work with our cars so that we can decouple latitutidinal/longitudinal - i.e. have car always steer even if we're manually using the peddles.

Bottom line is if you do a lot of cruising, road tripping, etc. it's worth it's weight in gold. If you're into more city and spirited shorter distance driving, it's value is going to be a lot less until we get longitudinal.

Registered
Use it with my I5 daily. As for videos there's 5+ years worth of YouTube videos of OpenPilot working for many thousands of people across hundreds of makes of cars, I wouldn't bother to make my own. I'd say this one is highly representative of the experience you can expect, but our Ioniq 5's can take even tighter turns (ultimately 90 degree turns):

OpenPilot also can be enabled on all roads, it's not just a highway thing. Will steer beautifully through intersections as well, but again, only latitudinal for our vehicles for now. If you get really into it you can try other forks with even more features too, like soon sunnypilot will likely work with our cars so that we can decouple latitutidinal/longitudinal - i.e. have car always steer even if we're manually using the peddles.

Bottom line is if you do a lot of cruising, road tripping, etc. it's worth it's weight in gold. If you're into more city and spirited shorter distance driving, it's value is going to be a lot less until we get longitudinal.
Interesting, thanks. Going to keep an eye out for the first fork to have route/nav integration!

Registered
That's not what forks are for, and nav already exists through comma prime. Your car just won't follow it. Just get setup and run stock for now. By the time you have your hardware Ioniq 5 support will have landed, else you can run a beta version for a week.

Registered
I will add they have run black friday sales the last two years. So you could wait for a deal. Or search used markets. Definitely recommend joining the discord community and reading up there, and checking out #for-sale channel which has lots of used hardware flowing through.

Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, Lucid Blue with Gray/White Interior

On the video, I noticed that the driver's left hand touching the steering wheel (or turn signal?) quite often.

Registered
I will add they have run black friday sales the last two years. So you could wait for a deal. Or search used markets. Definitely recommend joining the discord community and reading up there, and checking out #for-sale channel which has lots of used hardware flowing through.
I've had a Comma 3 in my 22 Palisade for about a year. We used it to drive from the Oregon coast to Virginia and back. Comma did probably 95% of the driving.

I put a deposit down for an Ioniq 5 Limited yesterday and have some questions, Myles, if you don't mind answering. Is it correct that you need the vehicle specific harness, the Red Panda, and am I reading correctly that 2 harness boxes are needed? I'm trading my Palisade in so I'll have the power cable and stuff. I tried asking on discord and they kept referring me to pinned messages which I couldn't figure out.

Registered
Sorry to say but you should actually refer to the pinned messages, there's a specific parts list you'll need and a doodle of a diagram on how to hook everything up. Don't be intimidated though, very easy transition.

Registered
Are there any warranty considerations in using comma3? Thx.
If they deny a claim they鈥檙e supposed to be required to prove the aftermarket device caused it. I always just remove mine and tuck the cables behind the mirror of my Palisade when it goes in for service. But to my knowledge the device doesn鈥檛 leave any lasting clues once it鈥檚 removed.

Registered
The Comma is an excellent dash cam and also logs your accelerator and brake inputs along with steering angle, etc. so it could also be used in your defense. But yeah your point is very valid.

Registered
I am more worried about if something goes wrong and you are in a collision. Even if the collision is not in any way the fault of you or the Comma3 system I can imagine a half way competent lawyer could take you to cleaners.
In the UK.... we have to declare to the insurer any modification to the car from how it was delivered new. This includes, obviously, engine modifications, but also more trivial things like different size tyres or wheels, aftermarket alarm system, or even a change of grille or spoiler etc.

Once you declare the modifications, they will be noted, and the insurer will either confirm that they accept it, or increase the premium, or they may even decline cover completely.

If you fail to declare a modification, you risk being told that you have invalidated your insurance policy (in the event of a claim).

The rationale behind it (from the insurer's perspective) is that without having the full details they were not able to correctly calculate/assess the risk, and therefore your insurance policy in invalidated.

How does it work in the US?

Registered
In US as well when auto insurance is purchased, they do ask those questions. They don鈥檛 verify them, but I would bet that if there is a collision and insurance company determines car was being driven through mods, they will deny payments. Not sure if such cases have gone to courts yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts