Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on one of the threads that the hybrid has an electric heater and therefore provides heat almost straight away. Also, does the car start in electric mode always? If so, can I start the car in my garage on a cold morning, turn the heater on and get almost instantaneous heat before driving off? My car is on order at the moment so I can't try this for myself.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
The heater doesn't provide heat from cold on the Hybrid , so it won't blow hot air immediately . Whether or not the car starts in EV mode depends a little on the outside temperature . I tend to leave the heater off in the mornings for an EV start . If the heater's on the ICE will tend to kick in once you come to a halt at traffic lights etc , if the heater's off it will tend to stay in EV mode . Of course if the car's frozen you can't do that

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
It was me who said it was electric, based on information gathered before I got mine

I am now not certain, but there are 2 x 50A fuses labelled "PTC Heater" in the engine bay fuse box according to the hybrid manual, but I can't get confirmation either way

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My car turns on in EV unless the battery is too low. I put the heating on high if it's cold in the morning and use rear screen heater to clear any ice / humidity. That usually triggers the petrol engine.
I drive with heating on 'driver only' every day, I don't like cold. I rarely use the seat / steering wheel warmers because they actually get quite hot.. so if you like to feel you're in the fires of h*ll. Go for it.

Edit: I didn't realise h e l l was a swear word...

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
What if you leave heater off but put heated seat on would that cause the ICE to kick in ?
Not that I'd noticed . Neither does the ICE kick in when the rear windscreen heater is on . I tend to drive with the heater off most times in any case . I tend not to feel the cold so it's OK for me but probably not everyone .

·
Registered
164 Posts
The front-shield and interior heating comes from the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) in a hybrid (HEV). I'm sure it's NOT electric heated. But i'm speaking of an European-NL HEV. In the US, even in the HEV, the 12v battery has disappeared, so it could be a totally different story over there. Lot's of difference in specs per continent and country.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'll just use the heated seats and steering wheel to keep me warm until the ICE heater gets going. And the weather is starting to warm up a bit now!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The front-shield and interior heating comes from the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) in a hybrid (HEV). I'm sure it's NOT electric heated. But i'm speaking of an European-NL HEV. In the US, even in the HEV, the 12v battery has disappeared, so it could be a totally different story over there. Lot's of difference in specs per continent and country.
US still has a 12 volt battery but it is lithium versus the lead acid battery apparently standard in Europe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts