Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq PHEV SEL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2021 PHEV SEL for about 3 months. Since summer is here, I'm running the A/C pretty much constantly. I've been noticing some "servo" motor like sounds emanating from the center console when the climate control is on. It seems to happen on it's own, with various lengths from short bursts to 1-2 seconds. It only happens when the climate control system is on. It mostly happens when the A/C is on but can also happen when just the ventilation (no A/C) is running. Sometimes it can be triggered on command by the temperature controls, with each press up or down a degree triggering the servo sound. But, this is not consistent. Today it was only doing on when I put the temperature above 71 degrees F. Lower temperatures didn't make the servo sound. I've included an audio recording of it happening on it's own as well as when the temperature buttons are pressed (you'll hear the beeps to indicate that happening). You may need a pair of headphones to hear the servo sounds above the noise of the blowing air.

Ioniq Climate Control Noises

So, given I'm new to the Ioniq, is this normal? FWIW, the climate control has been working wonderfully and I've no actual issues with its performance. The servo sounds are quite soft and not bothersome, and are completely inaudible once you start driving quick enough that the road noise completely obscures them. I'm just wondering if I have an issue with my climate control system. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,218 Posts
I've never noticed it before in my car, but the 2020 and up have a different console layout so maybe they sound a bit different. It doesn't seem crazy loud or anything, so maybe normal? The car will juggle the vent usage around a bit when in Auto mode, or when auto-defog kicks in even after a manual vent selection has been made, so I would expect to hear actuators at some point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2020 PHEV (UK version) and I have never noticed this noise. (There are various annoying rattles, but that's another matter.) I appreciate this doesn't help directly, but it's maybe an indication you should get it checked under warranty.

BTW, I see you live in Oregon, and I want to sympathise with what the weather is doing to your beautiful state.

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq PHEV SEL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much to those who responded! I was able to get a Hyundai service rep on the phone today and send them the recording I made. They say it's a normal sound in their experience and also got confirmation from a service manager and 2 EV owners. So, looks like it's all good to go! Happy A/C motoring for me!

BTW, I see you live in Oregon, and I want to sympathise with what the weather is doing to your beautiful state.
Thank you. The wildfires here are unfortunately the new "normal" for Summer in the Western part of the US. Thankfully the monster Bootleg fire is in an area that's almost completely uninhabited and so no lives have been lost and little property has been destroyed. I am grateful that people out here are mostly taking very kindly to EVs, PHEVs and HEVs. We can't obviously consume our way out of this problem, but it seems the Ioniq range of vehicles is at least a step in the right direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts