Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the climate control system in the EV is a heat pump with an evaporator and dual condensers. I get that during temperate and damp conditions (aka the UK 6 months of the year), that the interior temperature would not need heating or cooling to be active.

In every other car I've owned, I've only used AC to cool the car during summer which means that during the cooler months the evaporator isn't moist and even during wet weather the cars never misted up.

The ioniq is different, it seems. On dry days, it can provide heat on and off as needed and the windows don't steam up. As soon as there is rain, I need to activate ac and heat together. Ok, I can live with that but.... Every now and then, something changes and the car will just steam up, really badly. Still with AC and heat both engaged. It's actually dangerously bad sometimes because I literally can't see! I've tried every possible combination of settings from full auto with ads on to full manual with ads off, AC and heat on pointed at the screen and floor full time.

What am I missing? Is it really that hard to maintain a stable temperature and humidity during wet weather?

·
Registered
81 Posts
On my 38 is Ioniq you do have to use heater and AC in the rain. Sometimes you need to up the fan speed . Also try the front demist button this may help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I appreciate that I drive an HEV but my settings are: -

AC - On
Temperature - 18 - 20C in winter and 15.5 - 17C in summer
Air Source - From outside
Air Flow - Screen and Feet
Central Vents - Closed in winter and Open in summer for cooler air
Fan Speed - Once the car is warm 2 blobs 95% of the time, 3 blobs if rain is especially heavy

The car lives outside, so on cool or damp mornings I hit the screen clear button to give max fan and screen vents only. I never turn the AC or fan off, and never use the auto setting. I have none of the problems you mention, and if I did, my dealer would have my car parked on his forecourt while I drive a service loan car until it's sorted.

Reactions: Ronmontreal

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think it all depends on how damp it's been lately. My car sits unused most of the week, if it has been particularly damp and sun less, then it does seem to mist up very badly when you first set off, and can take a good while to clear.
I don't think this is unique to the Ioniq though, my old car used to behave similarly, I presume they just absorb a lot of humidity during the damp weather.
The car usually sits on a South facing driveway, so if there has been decent sun then this does combat the humidity somewhat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The biggest problem with misting up is people leaving the recirculating air on to speed up heating,
Agreed, the number of times I see this is shocking.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think it all depends on how damp it's been lately. My car sits unused most of the week, if it has been particularly damp and sun less, then it does seem to mist up very badly when you first set off, and can take a good while to clear.
I don't think this is unique to the Ioniq though, my old car used to behave similarly, I presume they just absorb a lot of humidity during the damp weather.
The car usually sits on a South facing driveway, so if there has been decent sun then this does combat the humidity somewhat.
I'm afraid I don't have this issue, I got my car on 27th January and it now shows just over 24,000 miles, that's an average of 585 miles a week even with Lockdown and being furloughed for a very short time. If it does ever sit in the rain for a couple of days, all I do is hit the screen demist button and set the temperature to 23 or 24 to force the heat through while I sit still for 5 minutes, then off I go with clear windows.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday, I had it set on ADS off, ac+heat, 21c, screen+floor, driver only off, recirc off (fresh air). It was fine for about an hour, the air was pleasant, dry and a good temperature. It started to get a bit warm over the course of that hour (possibly a bit of cabin getting warmer and/or me getting warmer perceiving it getting warmer in the cabin). I adjusted the temperature down to 20c. This, too, worked fine. Air nice and dry, despite the rain outside. After about 30 minutes, I had cooled down enough to want to raise the temperature again, I decided on 20.5c as a possibly happy medium.

Still with ADS off, ac+heat, screen+floor, driver only off, recirc off the windows began to mist up and I became aware that the air was no longer as dry as it was before. To recover I turned heat mode off and let the AC dry (and cool) the air.

I'm not entirely sure how (what I presume is) an inverter based variable speed compressor system with those dual condensers works. I can only think that if the user increases the set point or the thermostat calls for more heat naturally, to create that additional heat in the cabin it has to close the valve to the interior evaporator to stop the pre-cooling of the air. I would have hoped that air flaps would move to stop the intake air passing over the moist evaporator and instead skip it and bring in air directly over the interior condenser, but I don't know if the system is that sophisticated.

Anyone know how it works or have a technical document I could examine?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yesterday, I had it set on ADS off, ac+heat, 21c, screen+floor, driver only off, recirc off (fresh air). It was fine for about an hour, the air was pleasant, dry and a good temperature. It started to get a bit warm over the course of that hour (possibly a bit of cabin getting warmer and/or me getting warmer perceiving it getting warmer in the cabin). I adjusted the temperature down to 20c. This, too, worked fine. Air nice and dry, despite the rain outside. After about 30 minutes, I had cooled down enough to want to raise the temperature again, I decided on 20.5c as a possibly happy medium.

Still with ADS off, ac+heat, screen+floor, driver only off, recirc off the windows began to mist up and I became aware that the air was no longer as dry as it was before. To recover I turned heat mode off and let the AC dry (and cool) the air.

I'm not entirely sure how (what I presume is) an inverter based variable speed compressor system with those dual condensers works. I can only think that if the user increases the set point or the thermostat calls for more heat naturally, to create that additional heat in the cabin it has to close the valve to the interior evaporator to stop the pre-cooling of the air. I would have hoped that air flaps would move to stop the intake air passing over the moist evaporator and instead skip it and bring in air directly over the interior condenser, but I don't know if the system is that sophisticated.

Anyone know how it works or have a technical document I could examine?
May one ask what fan speed you set during this drive? By Heat Off, do you mean down to a lower temperature?

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great question! The one detail I omitted. A little more fan is needed for screen+floor compared to, say, face only. It was 4 bars of fan to get a reasonable amount of air flow.
By Heat Off I mean pressing the 'heat' button to turn off heating mode completely.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thank you. I use 2 bars of fan speed as a rule, but never turn the heat fully off. Up and down a little to get comfortable, yes, but never Off, and I don’t get the problems you are experiencing.

As I said above:

A/c is never turned off.
Fan is generally on 2 bars
This time of year, temperature is 18 - 20

But I do average 585 miles every week so all the parts of my car get up to temperature very regularly and for sustained periods of time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
All the cars that I have owned with climate control, including this one, have only ever been run in 'auto.' I have never needed to play with any other settings except move the temperature a degree or two, or into demist if starting from cold in the morning.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The trouble I found with full 'auto' mode is it would use heat or ac independently and that it once the cabin reached temperature, it would flick to ac mode and start cooling. Temperature swings seemed quite wild. I also found ADS would kick in when not needed providing a sudden change in temperature or not kick in when needed.

I suspect the HEV (and probably PHEV also) is better at managing the climate @Cabbyman purely because it has a ICE to provide a constant source of heat and regular AC rather than heatpump.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Probably true, @chrisgeary . Having said that, an extended period of use without fiddling with the settings, may pay dividends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have a heat pump in colder climate versions then it works like a reverse cycle a/c - therefore no moisture after the air passes through the coil. Most versions only have a convection heater (like mine) therefore it doesn’t take any moisture out of the cabin - in fact it probably turns it to more of a warmer vapour therefore making the condensation on the cold window even worse. I wish I had done some more research and found an Ioniq with a heat pump. The convection heater draws so much battery when switched on ......

Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts