Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months every time I open the car door and get in or start the car I get clicking noises coming from around the glove box region which goes on for about 10 seconds. Are there any relays in that area as that sounds exactly like what is happening but so far I can't find anything (this is on a 38kwh) just seems to keep trying for about 10 seconds but as far as I can see everything is working on the vehicle.

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Leafocaster it could be that but oddly it does it when I just open the drivers door and also when I start the car. Strangely I'm convinced it started after its second year service a few months back, I had to take the car back as the fan sounded like a jet engine as the kind engineer had dropped leaf debris into the system when he changed the pollen filter but its all cleaned up now and I've had everything out and just can't pin point it.

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got exactly the same sound but its definitely coming from the glove box region (passenger side) but obviously my car is right hand drive so not sure if that comes into play.

· Registered
893 Posts
For the last few months every time I open the car door and get in or start the car I get clicking noises coming from around the glove box region which goes on for about 10 seconds. Are there any relays in that area as that sounds exactly like what is happening but so far I can't find anything (this is on a 38kwh) just seems to keep trying for about 10 seconds but as far as I can see everything is working on the vehicle.
could be rodents

· Registered
2017 Ioniq EV 28kWh
394 Posts
I have to same problem, appeared when I went to pick up the car from the 120 000 km service.
Very annoying sounds, it gives the impression of a junk car every time my 2017 Ioniq EV starts now.

· Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 EV
356 Posts
Yes exactly what I thought it sounded like hence I was asking if anyone knew what relays were in that area as it sounds just like it but so far I've not found any.
There is a fuse box next to the 12V battery with a few relays inside, that would be located just behind the glovebox on a rhd car. Another fuse box is locater by the obd port to the lower right of the steering column (rhd car).
Strange that this noise has appeared after a service, and on an Ioniq 28 as well?

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a fuse box next to the 12V battery with a few relays inside, that would be located just behind the glovebox on a rhd car. Another fuse box is locater by the obd port to the lower right of the steering column (rhd car).
Strange that this noise has appeared after a service, and on an Ioniq 28 as well?
Thanks - Yes I went through the sequence with the bonnet up and was not coming from any of those areas

· Registered
Ioniq EV 2018
3 Posts
My vehicle makes the same noise. 4-5 clicks when the door opens then 8 clicks once the car is switched on.
The dealership diagnosed it as a "failed charging port lock actuator". This was confirmed when they cleared the error causing the charge port locking pin to be in the locked position until the manual release was pulled - at which point the clicking started again.
Check if your charge port still locks the cable in place when charging - if not then theres the culprit.

· Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric Premium SE
38 Posts
I have had the same relay clicking noises since the 2nd annual service in early September when some battery management upgrades were carried out. Having read these comments I decided to contact the local dealership for their view.
It appears it is a known fault/error and is to do with the charge cable locking pin device. My car is booked in on the11th Nov for investigation and rectification. I will update on here after that time.

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that - mine is also booked in for investigation on the 11th but I’m sure a revisit will be required, just odd that both of ours started after the second service.

· Registered
38 Posts
All to do with a “glitch” in the battery management update for some reason. At least that update seemed to solve the problem of the 12v battery system. Hopefully when this is sorted all will be well.

· Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all - car has been in this morning and diagnosed with you've guess it a "failed charging port lock actuator", one of us will get lucky today as only 1 part is available in the UK this morning but sounds like another 100 are on their way so one of us will get lucky and get the only one available.

At least the car got a good wash and hoover so not a completely wasted trip to the dealers.

· Registered
38 Posts
Ok just got mine back from the dealers and all seems well. No “clicking” noises and the charging cable locks and unlocks as it is supposed to - maybe I got that available part ? Anyway, It seems it is a known problem with a solution- hope anyone else with the same problem gets sorted soon. Big shout out to the dealer at Grimsby “Read Hyundai”. - They we’re excellent throughout.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts