Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Blue Hybrid (I guess that's the right name for the edition), which I am currently leasing until September. I have been encountering an odd issue over the last few weeks.

Occasionally when I'm driving, I'll get the "Check Hybrid System" warning, and then it'll say "Turn off engine" and start running a bit sluggishly. If I pull over and turn off the engine for a few seconds, I can start the car again and keep going as if nothing happened. It only happens occasionally and is kind of unpredictable.

I took the car to the dealership to get this checked out. At first they thought there might be a wiring issue, but then the advisor told me that they contacted Hyundai tech support, and the codes they were seeing in the computer just indicated that I wasn't driving enough to keep the battery charged properly. I haven't been driving as much because I've been working from home due to the pandemic, but I haven't exactly left the car sitting idle for weeks on end.

What I'm wondering is, since this happens while I'm driving, shouldn't the engine kick in and keep the battery charged?

Has anyone else encountered this issue with the 2017 model? Based on a couple of threads that I looked at, it sounds like the battery design might be a bit different on the later models, so would this be less of an issue?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had the same issue and was stranded on the road and just about managed to get home on the battery alone ( ICE wasn't taking over )

Initially they blamed the 12V battery ( 2017 HEV) and replaced it but then I got an engine malfunction light.

Was blamed on software but it recurred even after the software update .

Was then blamed on a faulty sensor which they replaced and then it happened again at which they replaced another sensor.

Overall I got the car back today after nearly a month in the garage ( got it for a day in between but the problem recurred)

Will have to see how long it's going to work this time .

I am coming to the end of a 3 year PCP deal and though I love the car and wanted to keep it I am having second thoughts.

Moreover the dealer is refusing to give me any information on what all had gone wrong with the car as it was warranty work (not sure if that's actually true ) :unsure:

·
Registered
29 Posts
We left for a trip on Friday (about a 3 1/2 hour drive) with our 2019 Ioniq PHEV. Got the "Check Hybrid System - Turn engine off" error. We pulled over, stopped, started and continued. 10 - 15 minutes late we got the error again. By this time we were over an hour into our trip. All the dealerships on the way were totally booked. We decided to rent a car and have the Ioniq towed back to our local dealership. We have AAA Plus so the tow was free. Continued on our trip with the rental. Will be checking with them tomorrow on status.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We left for a trip on Friday (about a 3 1/2 hour drive) with our 2019 Ioniq PHEV. Got the "Check Hybrid System - Turn engine off" error. We pulled over, stopped, started and continued. 10 - 15 minutes late we got the error again. By this time we were over an hour into our trip. All the dealerships on the way were totally booked. We decided to rent a car and have the Ioniq towed back to our local dealership. We have AAA Plus so the tow was free. Continued on our trip with the rental. Will be checking with them tomorrow on status.

Tom
Oh no. I hope your dealership can get it fixed. Did you lease or buy it? That is a bit disconcerting to hear about a 2019 having issues like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there was a firmware update for this, apparently prevents the hybrid system charging the battery or something similar
That's good to know. Thanks. Fortunately in my case, since I've been keeping a closer eye on the battery level while I'm driving, it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh no. I hope your dealership can get it fixed. Did you lease or buy it? That is a bit disconcerting to hear about a 2019 having issues like this.
We bought it. Also, ay wife had a minor accident which damaged the wheel and suspension parts, whic hhas mostly been fixed. We are wondering if that may have knocked something loose.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same issue and was stranded on the road and just about managed to get home on the battery alone ( ICE wasn't taking over )

Initially they blamed the 12V battery ( 2017 HEV) and replaced it but then I got an engine malfunction light.

Was blamed on software but it recurred even after the software update .

Was then blamed on a faulty sensor which they replaced and then it happened again at which they replaced another sensor.

Overall I got the car back today after nearly a month in the garage ( got it for a day in between but the problem recurred)

Will have to see how long it's going to work this time .

I am coming to the end of a 3 year PCP deal and though I love the car and wanted to keep it I am having second thoughts.

Moreover the dealer is refusing to give me any information on what all had gone wrong with the car as it was warranty work (not sure if that's actually true ) :unsure:
That sounds like an awful situation. I'm coming to the end of my lease in about 2 months and am also contemplating what I want to do. I had problems with my air conditioner that took a few trips to the dealership and multiple weeks of driving a rental before they finally got it right. It's been fine since but it annoyed me that a 2 year old car would have issues like that at all.

I hope you were able to get your issue fixed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dealer called me today after we had the car towed to them on Friday. They told me "post catalytic fuel system trim too lean" error. I don't want to have to take it back if it throws more of these errors, so I asked "Will it void my warranty if I just drive the vehicle even though I'm getting "Check Hybrid System - Turn Engine Off" errors until the problem strands me? They said it's OK to do that, will not void warranty. I can always have AAA tow it to the dealer again. I would rather force the error by driving it to possibly find other problems.

I'f I were to connect an OBD2 reader, would I get the same level of detail as the dealer?

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts