Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 ioniq electric ultimate
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before (so feel free to point me to threads), but I’m wondering about this 100% thing… is it really bad to charge it to 100% more than once in a while? Sometimes I see a free charging station and want to take advantage of it… or I want to go to 100 to test my range…
But I don’t drive a huge amount regularly so it’s not like I’m going to 100 terribly often.
So… should I really only go to 80 regularly on 100 only if I really need it for a trip?
Thanks!
Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Premium - Phantom Black
14 Posts
Totally anecdotal but I’ve owned a BMW i3 for 6 years and always charged it to 100% (almost always at home) with no obvious impact on range. However, the Ioniq (5) manual suggests avoiding it so I will be. I imagine it depends on the battery tech.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
1,000 Posts
All you'll ever need to know about lithium ion battery degradation.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

In short:
  • try not to let it get too hot
  • try not to let it get too cold
  • try not to keep it at high SoC for extended periods
  • try not to keep it at low SoC for extended periods
  • do not discharge it completely.

·
Registered
2020 ioniq electric ultimate
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Very technical article!
(If I go down to 5% once in a while to test range is that ok? Just completely discharging not good?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
453 Posts
H say to charge on a low charger (not Rapid!) to 100% periodically, to allow the BMS to balance the cells. But those of us in the battery swap program have been told to limit charging to 90% SOC max. Means I can't ever balance the cells if I do this! So maybe once every couple of months when doing a long trip, I'll do that final topup to 100% immediatey before going o a long trip. As far as we know no Ioniqs have caught fire, so I reckon I'm safe to do this.

Just don't let you battery sit at 100% (or 0% either!) for any length of time, i.e. hours at a time.
Li-ions like being at 50% for very long term storage & life, so the closer you keep to that value on average, the happier they are. 40-60% SOC is brilliant for minimal degradation, but too range-limiting. 20-80% is reckoned to be really safe & conservative, if you're happy wih a 60% range most of the time. Etc etc.

Oh, on a long trip I'l happily arrive home with 2% in the tank, but I'll plugin to 6A charge for a few hours/overnight the moment I get out of the car! Ignore the dire warnings about reduced power once below 10% in tank, there's plenty for "normal" driving. And you have to watch the SOC %age as well, 'coz the car refuses to say just how many miles range there are left! Allow 2 miles for 1% SOC works for me at that stage.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
1,000 Posts
I generally operate my 28 kWh IONIQ in the 80% to 20% range for daily commuting and general running around - only charging to 100% once a week for cell balancing (on Monday mornings). But if I have a road trip or longer journey, I don't hesitate to charge to 100% just before I go. I also don't shy away from driving down to low SoC on my trips if needed (<10%), especially for the last leg when I know I can charge as soon as I get home and I know the route and have a very high degree of certainty about exactly how much energy I need to get there. I sometimes arrive home with 5% or less. In those cases, I immediately charge to at least 40%.

I've got one of the higher mileage IONIQ BEV's on this forum (>120k km) and have noticed no battery degradation or range loss. EVNotify and EVWatchdog similarly report that my SoH is still at 100% - the prevailing theory is that I'm still eating away at the built in top and bottom buffers of the battery. So, certainly drive to 5% once in a while to test range if you want to.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
103 Posts
The cells in the 28kW Ioniq pre-FL seem to be more resilient than those in the 38 kW Ioniq FL. Maybe the cobalt makes the pre-FL cells be more resilient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts