Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this issue has been reported previously in there forums, but no simple solution, and I believe there is one.

My PHEV has stopped charging - when I connect to the charger, the locking clip fails to connect on the car end and then after a few seconds all three charging lights start to flash. The car knows the cable is connected as it won't let me start the engine.

I have had this problem before, and took it to my dealer who did not know how to solve it. Then another customer apparently told them how to reset something and it started charging. Unfortunately I don't know what this something was. I rang them on Friday but they failed to get back to me.

I have reset the settings on the steering wheel menu, and I have done a factory reset on the infotainment system. I have tried turning on and off the autounlock cable feature. But still nothing.

Does anyone know what else I can try?

Thanks in advance
Paddy

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
we have seen this before, several things spring to mind

1:- try a different charger to eliminate a charger fault
2:- sometime the connectors get a littler dirty, so insert and remove the plug several times (without the charger on)
3:- if you have a 12v battery in the boot / trunk remove the earth cable for at least 30 minutes, reconnect and try again
4:- there have been a few faulty cable lock solenoids which were replaced under warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have seen this before, several things spring to mind

1:- try a different charger to eliminate a charger fault
2:- sometime the connectors get a littler dirty, so insert and remove the plug several times (without the charger on)
3:- if you have a 12v battery in the boot / trunk remove the earth cable for at least 30 minutes, reconnect and try again
4:- there have been a few faulty cable lock solenoids which were replaced under warranty
Thanks for these. I can't currently go to another charging unit, but last time this happened to me it was the car and not the charger. I have checked the sockets and cables. I appreciate my problem might not be the same as last time, so it could be a solenoid, but last time it was solved without replacing any parts so I'm keen to explore that first.

I have a 12 volt battery in the engine compartment - is this the one that you are referring to? I'm not sure how to disconnect the earth but I will look into it

Thanks again
Paddy

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I have a 12 volt battery in the engine compartment - is this the one that you are referring to? I'm not sure how to disconnect the earth but I will look into it

Thanks again
Paddy
the dealers are now back at work, so might be worth giving the service department a call and see if they can tell you anything over the phone, explain you had the issue before and you might find the answer was saved in the job notes if you can tell them when it went in for it last time

and that is not a 12v battery in the front, it is just the jump start terminals

it is either rear drivers side in the boot, of a LiPo section in the main traction battery

on a 2017 plugin loan car i had the battery is on the red circled area in the boot

you will likely need to lift the boot floor out (the big black tin is the 360 volt traction battery which is perfectly safe so long as you don't go prodding it :) )

NOTE ;- if you are not sure exactly what to do leave it to the dealer

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks I will look at this. However, I can hear the charging unit responding as normal when I connect the cable.
That is what mine would do but then it stopped charging. I had to move the trip clamp on the isolation switch and since then everything has been fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. How would I go about doing that? Sorry, but all the local dealers are closed at the moment

·
Registered
148 Posts
See this thread...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts