Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Took delivery of my Ioniq 5 about 1 month ago. No issues with the car until yesterday when I went to charge the car and noticed the charging port wouldn't open when pressed. I used the fob to open it which worked and put the car on charge.
Came out this morning and after removing the charger I pressed the "Close" button and nothing. Tried long pressing turning the car off & on etc and it still doesnt work.
Anyone else have this issue before?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think another member said that the port door mechanism had to be replaced under warranty due to similar issue.

Personally I would try 'resetting' it by disconnecting the 12V battery (which will hopefully reset the computer that manages the port door access).

·
Registered
Project 45 Phantom Black
127 Posts
Unfortunately a well known issue so contact your dealer for checkup asap and repair if needed. Many owners have had this, including we, and many have also had 12V battery drain issues because of a fault in this area so beware of that.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 72,6kWh RWD Lucid Blue
241 Posts
I have serious problems understanding why they prioritised automatic charge port vs automatic popout driver door handle. My (not so) qualified guess is that it’s exactly the same parts needed.
When do you need to open/close charge port via the app?
This annoys me more than it should 😂

·
Registered
2021, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate 73KWh RWD
103 Posts
I think another member said that the port door mechanism had to be replaced under warranty due to similar issue.

Personally I would try 'resetting' it by disconnecting the 12V battery (which will hopefully reset the computer that manages the port door access).
My charge port door was replaced as it discharged the 12V battery on 2 occasions. Quite a long replacement process, 5 weeks, as the part had to be ordered from South Korea.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The IONIQ 5 is a bit of a mixed bag, I have to admit.

It's the most feature-packed and luxurious car (in top trim level) that Hyundai makes under the Hyundai brand name. If up want anything more upmarket, you’ll need to buy a Genesis-branded car.

And it shows.... yes it has some cool features, but also some low-rent ones. The charging port flap can be opened by touch button, keyfob, or app. But the bonnet (hood) is opened via the same mechanical lever and cable system that my first car had (and that was some 45 years ago...). The seats and side mirror auto-adjust, great, but the steering wheel adjustment and rearview mirror are not motorised, so can't be 'remembered' and need to be adjusted manually every time you change drivers. Etc... but I digress :D

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Project 45 and E-Niro 4+. (Previously, Polestar2, Tesla M3, Ampera, Ioniq)
312 Posts
The button on my charge port door will not open it (when car unlocked) and the button inside the charge port will not close it. It seems a common issue. My local dealer supposedly ordered a new one 3 months ago, and still don't know when they will have one. :mad:

·
Registered
654 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that it did.
Anyway, my Bolt ONLY had the manual push the panel door to open it... It sucked.
Some gas cars have a button inside the cab to undo the opening in case you go to a Full Service Gas Station

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted a while back that my charge point door was opening and closing randomly when the car was unlocked, this has now changed to the door not opening or closing at all from the internal button, and will only open with the FOB. Looks like a replacement door assembly will have to be ordered but may wait in case they update the current design to improve functionality, given the number of failures reported.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, waiting for Ioniq 5
816 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that it did.
Anyway, my Bolt ONLY had the manual push the panel door to open it... It sucked.
Some gas cars have a button inside the cab to undo the opening in case you go to a Full Service Gas Station
I thought it was to keep people from stealing your gas. Not an issue with the Ioniq 5 as we can't get the adaptor for the charge port in the US.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you sometimes think they might have been better off with a manual charge port door? Not as cool though.
ABSOLUTELY! In press car vids in Europe the presenters often had trouble with this stupid door!
And in Nurburgring testing vids sometimes you see it's open and in others, it's taped down- ridiculous! 😠

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My car today started to exhibit this behaviour, the door constantly opening and closing. I've made contact with the dealer who hadn't heard of any issues with the charge port door as of yet...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
Took delivery of my Ioniq 5 about 1 month ago. No issues with the car until yesterday when I went to charge the car and noticed the charging port wouldn't open when pressed. I used the fob to open it which worked and put the car on charge.
Came out this morning and after removing the charger I pressed the "Close" button and nothing. Tried long pressing turning the car off & on etc and it still doesnt work.
Anyone else have this issue before?
I have similiar issue with my Ulitmate Tech plus eco pack. Could noy open charge door manually and when opened with key fob it apparently caused a drain on 12v battery. Car has been with dealership for over 2 weeks and I am told needs new charge port which is not available and no ETA when it will be yet.

My concern is that I do not know what caused the problem, is it a just a defective part or is it something more serious such as bad design or software issue? If more serious has it been fixed on leter builds and if so when from? My car was at Tilbury in early August 2021 so probably buily in June 2021.

Does any one have any more information please.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts