Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
View attachment 34643

For Musk “over time” is a new phrase. It could be 5 or 10 years for all we know. But at least it’s a global commitment.
FWIW, the argument that they created the system blah blah blah is an outright lie. The original CCS spec was published about a year before the first supercharger stations opened, and both CCS and Tesla are based on the same basic underlying electrical standard. Chademo was introduced back in 2009 (though it wasn't formalized as a standard for a few years). The supercharger system also isn't particularly special in it's technology. Now, in those days, there wasn't a system that could have been called an accepted standard, but the idea and the technology was already out there and either in development or in limited use. Tesla deserves credit for aggressively building it out, nothing more.

But anyway, this is a good move for the greater goal of clean transportation adoption. It'll make it much more practicable for those of us in condos and apartments to have EVs before our complexes/buildings can retrofit themselves (where that is possible at all). Though I don't think the question of whether always/usually charging via DCFC is bad for the batteries has really been answered.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
197 Posts
FWIW, the argument that they created the system blah blah blah is an outright lie. The original CCS spec was published about a year before the first supercharger stations opened, and both CCS and Tesla are based on the same basic underlying electrical standard. Chademo was introduced back in 2009 (though it wasn't formalized as a standard for a few years). The supercharger system also isn't particularly special in it's technology. Now, in those days, there wasn't a system that could have been called an accepted standard, but the idea and the technology was already out there and either in development or in limited use. Tesla deserves credit for aggressively building it out, nothing more.

But anyway, this is a good move for the greater goal of clean transportation adoption. It'll make it much more practicable for those of us in condos and apartments to have EVs before our complexes/buildings can retrofit themselves (where that is possible at all). Though I don't think the question of whether always/usually charging via DCFC is bad for the batteries has really been answered.
I’ll hold any comments until I see how much Elon is gouging, sorry I mean charging, non-Tesla owners.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
I’ll hold any comments until I see how much Elon is gouging, sorry I mean charging, non-Tesla owners.
And when it actually happens. Which adaptor will be acceptable is another question for us in NA.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
The engineering is not a big deal. I think the specs are known. But Tesla could put some barriers in place for the handshake and communications.
But so far their is no market as the Tesla supercharger will not allow a non-Tesla to charge. Except a few month ago I read where a few people in Europe were able to do so. In Europe the Tesla has to have a CCS2 combo plug.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts