Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
I think mostly just charging on the go being a royal pain and slowing down trips
I鈥檝e read my first review where a motoring journalist complained (I hope tongue in cheek) that 800 volt charging doesn鈥檛 give him enough time to have a decent cup of coffee 馃槼

Registered
I was told by a salesman jerk that the IONIQ 5 will not be sold in Florida because are not enough charging stations. They are all over the place. Hopefully he ate his words after hearing Florida is one of the states to get them first. Guess where I will not purchase it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
My friend picked up a Model Y a few months ago; he had to have the rear doors realigned as there were panel gaps and the wiring for the sound system had to be rethreated. There were some static issues.
I drove the MME which felt better built than the Y. My only complaint was the long hood and small side mirrors. Being produced outside the US, it should be a lot less expensive. The ID.4 drove nice but no AWD to test out at the time. I felt it was a little slow with just the RWD layout. If the IONIQ 5 is put together just like GV70 I drove earlier today, it will be my next car.
Do you have Ioniq 5 > MME > ID.4 > Model Y? Im having such a hard time deciding. Hoping more EV incentives forces me into making a decision

Registered
What gets me. How does VW s ID3 get over 300 miles on a single charge? Maybe because it is smaller and lighter?
That is the vehicle we wanted, waited 3 years to find out not arriving in North America. We sold all our other vehicles and kept our 2006 Scion Xa because my wife loves the size. The ID3 was only14 inches longer, 4" wider and 2" higher. There is another vehicle using the VW platform el-Born. Looks cool. Not coming to North America. Same size as the ID3 jut 1" lower. The IONIQ 5 is considerably bigger than our Xa. 28" Longer, 7" wider and 3" higher. However it is the smallest EV at this time that we would consider. I did put the $100.00 down. Hopefully the trial per month charge will be in effect when they arrive in Florida. IONIQ 5 is also a lot more money than the VW ID-3. 20-30 thousand more. Loaded.

Registered
Ok, I also live in NYC and considering the Ioniq5. I do a lot of hiking and would only use the car to get out of the city, and like yourself won鈥檛 have any home charging situation.

I鈥檝e written Electrify America about lame it is they have no charging stations in NYC. And I鈥檝e contacted VW about how they did this huge photo shoot with the ID4 (which I鈥檓 considering as well) in Brooklyn but there鈥檚 no non- Tesla fast charging stations there. It鈥檚 lame.

That will change- Revel has plans to open fast charging stations in the city and in Gowanus ConEd will have a charging station by next summer. It鈥檚 a huge gap in the ability to own an EV.

Plug in hybrids are worthless for people with no home charging鈥. They offer such extremely slow charging no one is going to plug in just to get 30-50 miles to boost your efficiency. It鈥檚 pretty much required to have home charging in you want a plug in hybrid.

So thinking of just jumping all in on this EV game and hope charging stations will catch up in a couple years. Until then it might be interesting鈥

Hi -

I live in NYC and put down a reservation for the Ioniq 5. This will primarily be a car for getting out of the city on the weekends and going to our parents (who both live 2 hours from the city in different directions), and for little road trips (to go hiking, skiing, etc.). I am starting to get a bit of cold feet, though, about charging.

The garage we use in Brooklyn doesn't have any charging capability so we would have to rely on a combination of public DC fast charging and maybe installing home chargers at our parents houses. Yet, the public infrastructure still seems pretty limited outside of the supercharger network.

This is making me, somewhat reluctantly, think that I should just get a Model Y since their charging infrastructure is so much more well established.

What do people think and what other options am I missing? I saw the partnership with Electrify America but there just aren't a lot of options. The 800V architecture is also really cool but how many compatible charging stations are there? Seems like something you wouldn't get to exploit that often.

Registered
Ok, I also live in NYC and considering the Ioniq5. I do a lot of hiking and would only use the car to get out of the city, and like yourself won鈥檛 have any home charging situation.

I鈥檝e written Electrify America about lame it is they have no charging stations in NYC. And I鈥檝e contacted VW about how they did this huge photo shoot with the ID4 (which I鈥檓 considering as well) in Brooklyn but there鈥檚 no non- Tesla fast charging stations there. It鈥檚 lame.

That will change- Revel has plans to open fast charging stations in the city and in Gowanus ConEd will have a charging station by next summer. It鈥檚 a huge gap in the ability to own an EV.

Plug in hybrids are worthless for people with no home charging鈥. They offer such extremely slow charging no one is going to plug in just to get 30-50 miles to boost your efficiency. It鈥檚 pretty much required to have home charging in you want a plug in hybrid.

So thinking of just jumping all in on this EV game and hope charging stations will catch up in a couple years. Until then it might be interesting鈥
Checking plugshare, there seem to be two EA locations in NYC, both in queens. New York State (via it's Evolve NY program) appears to be planning three for NYC (one each in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn), but yeah there's a relative lack of high speed public charging stations in NYC. EA has indicated that the current phase of their rollout plan is going to focus mostly on urban areas, so perhaps there will be some development in the next year or two (though NYC is an obscenely expensive place to build anything, so maybe not). Good luck on that account. If you go hiking in the hudson valley (as I do) there's a high power charging station in lagrangeville up the way a bit.

Registered
Here in the UK Hyundai are partnered with Ionity and they have a pathetic fifteen 350kw chargers in odd places around the UK so not much chance of me getting a full charge in 18 minutes, there are thousands of other chargers from 7kw to 175kw and a few 350kw starting to be built so the future is looking better. I currently drive a Ioniq Hybrid and have an I5 Project 45 on order which I have been told has been built and is waiting for a ship to bring it to the UK, so I have been looking into charging options and apps, the built in sat nav will show you where your nearest charger is and what kw it is and guide you to it, but we also have an app in the UK called ZapMap which shows all the different chargers, kw, in use or not etc and Hyundai are supplying a RFID payment card for all suppliers, but in the USA and worldwide the PlugShare app shows the same and NYS looks like it has a lot of chargers including super chargers. As for the ID4 and Mach E etc I just find them ugly with bulges everywhere unlike the I5 which has clean lines which is why it was love at first sight for me.

Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
Here in the UK Hyundai are partnered with Ionity and they have a pathetic fifteen 350kw chargers in odd places around the UK so not much chance of me getting a full charge in 18 minutes, there are thousands of other chargers from 7kw to 175kw and a few 350kw starting to be built so the future is looking better.
I analyzed 2 videos of the Ioniq 5 charging on high power stations. See post here Charging Profiles .
I then did a study of what the charging time would be if I limited the charge to 140 kW. I would only increase for 18 to less than 25 minutes. In the US the EA stations usually have about 3 150 kW stations to each 350 kW station. I wanted to know how much delay I would have if the 350 kW station was busy. With a 175 kW station, you would be faster than 25 minutes.

Registered
I analyzed 2 videos of the Ioniq 5 charging on high power stations. See post here Charging Profiles .
I then did a study of what the charging time would be if I limited the charge to 140 kW. I would only increase for 18 to less than 25 minutes. In the US the EA stations usually have about 3 150 kW stations to each 350 kW station. I wanted to know how much delay I would have if the 350 kW station was busy. With a 175 kW station, you would be faster than 25 minutes.
None of those time differences are game killers for me. Good info though thank you.

Registered
Here in the UK Hyundai are partnered with Ionity and they have a pathetic fifteen 350kw chargers in odd places around the UK so not much chance of me getting a full charge in 18 minutes, there are thousands of other chargers from 7kw to 175kw and a few 350kw starting to be built so the future is looking better. I currently drive a Ioniq Hybrid and have an I5 Project 45 on order which I have been told has been built and is waiting for a ship to bring it to the UK, so I have been looking into charging options and apps, the built in sat nav will show you where your nearest charger is and what kw it is and guide you to it, but we also have an app in the UK called ZapMap which shows all the different chargers, kw, in use or not etc and Hyundai are supplying a RFID payment card for all suppliers, but in the USA and worldwide the PlugShare app shows the same and NYS looks like it has a lot of chargers including super chargers. As for the ID4 and Mach E etc I just find them ugly with bulges everywhere unlike the I5 which has clean lines which is why it was love at first sight for me.
Just to let you know I received another email from Hyundai today and my car is at sea for the next 50 days

Registered
Just to let you know I received another email from Hyundai today and my car is at sea for the next 50 days
Yeah yeah rub it in our stupid American faces Hu!
:)
I hope ours are made in America. And not for your typical reasons!

I think I鈥檝e read there are record high containers falling off of ships. I鈥檇 be biting my finger nails.

Registered
Tesla claims it is opening its charging network to other automakers.

Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5

For Europe, this works because all EV have to use the same CCS2 standard plug. In the North Amercia we would need an adaptor which I would buy if this happens here.

Registered

This has been a constant rumour over recent years. Speculation is that it will provide a large income stream for Tesla & allow them to discount charging rates for Tesla owners & charge extra to non Tesla cars.

Registered
鈥..

鈥︹
Here鈥檚 the first Revel charging super hub in NY

Registered
Here鈥檚 the first Revel charging super hub in NY
Better than nothing, but I don't see this as a solution really. I guess its helpful in that one neighborhood, for about 50 people. People will want to charge at similar times I am guessing and won't be leaving work early or waking up at 2am to get a spot. Otherwise worthless and highlights the biggest problem EV will have.

People in crowded areas don't have garages, don't own homes etc... and have no where to charge, and going and hanging out at some hipster charging bar for 2 hours a day isn't going to do it for 99% of people. With UN's plan to move most into the cities, this isn't going to get any easier, they predict BILLIONS more in the next few decades. How much is it going to cost to buy these big places to host all the chargers? City real estate is limited, and not going to get drastically cheaper anytime soon. This adds massive costs the business needs to recoup and you will pay at the charger if they can even find the real estate in a decent area to do it.

It's honestly why ev's won't work for a LOOOOOONG time. 90% of your customers can't get a charger, then the 10% in rural America, only 1% might want one because they can only afford one car, and a battery powered one they can't road trip with isn't gonna be it.

I'm being a downer here, but I think my points are legit.

Registered
Better than nothing, but I don't see this as a solution really. I guess its helpful in that one neighborhood, for about 50 people. People will want to charge at similar times I am guessing and won't be leaving work early or waking up at 2am to get a spot. Otherwise worthless and highlights the biggest problem EV will have.

People in crowded areas don't have garages, don't own homes etc... and have no where to charge, and going and hanging out at some hipster charging bar for 2 hours a day isn't going to do it for 99% of people. With UN's plan to move most into the cities, this isn't going to get any easier, they predict BILLIONS more in the next few decades. How much is it going to cost to buy these big places to host all the chargers? City real estate is limited, and not going to get drastically cheaper anytime soon. This adds massive costs the business needs to recoup and you will pay at the charger if they can even find the real estate in a decent area to do it.

It's honestly why ev's won't work for a LOOOOOONG time. 90% of your customers can't get a charger, then the 10% in rural America, only 1% might want one because they can only afford one car, and a battery powered one they can't road trip with isn't gonna be it.

I'm being a downer here, but I think my points are legit.
For places like city centers where everything is a big apartment building with street parking, cars don't make sense honestly, And EVs are going to be inconvenient for the foreseeable future because where would you even put the infrastructure? (Until, at least, DCFC is deemed healthy to use as the primary means of charging). For people in condo or apartment complexes with their own parking, it is incumbent on would-be EV drivers to try to negotiate with their landlords to show interest and to start getting the infrastructure installed. It's in the landlord's long term interest anyway (as they can market EV friendliness as an amenity). But yeah, sympathies for anyone in the former group (fwiw, I was walking through manhattan one time a few years ago and even then I saw someone had snaked an extension cord through a window to charge their tesla on the street. That was of course absurd, but some people are pretty dedicated that way)

Registered

For Musk 鈥渙ver time鈥 is a new phrase. It could be 5 or 10 years for all we know. But at least it鈥檚 a global commitment.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts