Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Then I guess the question for me becomes is it worth 10-15k more than the ID.4
As much as I hate vw, the answer is no, it isn’t. I’m not sure what Hyundai and Kia are trying to do here tbh if this is their pricing structure.

The lower trims should be a lot closer though, but still 3-5k it looks like lower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As much as I hate vw, the answer is no, it isn’t. I’m not sure what Hyundai and Kia are trying to do here tbh if this is their pricing structure.
Out of curiosity, why do you and other seem to hate the ID.4? I saw one in person and it didn't seem as frumpy as the pictures make it out to be. AND... most importantly, it's priced way below the competition. It seems like charging speeds for 150kw is about the same as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you and other seem to hate the ID.4? I saw one in person and it didn't seem as frumpy as the pictures make it out to be. AND... most importantly, it's priced way below the competition. It seems like charging speeds for 150kw is about the same as well.

I mainly hate the company. The car itself is aesthetically not appealing to me. It follows the “blob” model Tesla and every cuv out there is doing. It’s just pathetic and lazy design to me. I like a retro look to my cars (boxy and clean), which might not be safe for pedestrians but I don’t but my cars for people walking on highways. I buy them to drive them!

for evs it’s a little different because drag coefficient is much more important for them. I still don’t like it though.

It is also important to note in general I can be a “hater”. That’s mainly where I’m at with vw.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Limited (US)
16 Posts
Thanks - is there any app which aggregates all possible chargers or will it be necessary to check 4-5 different apps / websites when looking for a charger along your route?
Google Maps also shows most chargers, although it's not obvious. When you open the app you'll see Restaurants, Gas, Groceries across the top. Swipe that line to the left, and at the end you'll see "... More". Tap on that, and scroll down to the Services category, and select "Electric Vehicles." It doesn't always tell you which network it's on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Then I guess the question for me becomes is it worth 10-15k more than the ID.4
An ID.4 w/ AWD is about $45K with an additional year of EA charging compared to Hyundai. VW just needs to get their nav and charger finder software right.

·
Registered
208 Posts
An ID.4 w/ AWD is about $45K with an additional year of EA charging compared to Hyundai. VW just needs to get their nav and charger finder software right.
We don't know what the I5 will cost, but I wouldn't expect the base trim AWD config to be that expensive (though probably still more $ than the ID.4). The other side of that comparison is that the I5 charges much faster, looks better (IMO, YMMV), and is faster (though IMO that's not really a huge selling point). Oh, and AFAIK the ID.4 isn't available with a heat pump at all in the US. Enough to warrant a few thousand dollars difference? I don't know. I personally find the ID.4 fairly underwhelming though (maybe because it looks kinda cheap)

·
Registered
102 Posts
We don't know what the I5 will cost, but I wouldn't expect the base trim AWD config to be that expensive (though probably still more $ than the ID.4). The other side of that comparison is that the I5 charges much faster looks better (IMO, YMMV), and is faster (though IMO that's not really a huge selling point). Oh, and AFAIK the ID.4 isn't available with a heat pump at all in the US. Enough to warrant a few thousand dollars difference? I don't know. I personally find the ID.4 fairly underwhelming though (maybe because it looks kinda cheap)
Well, I'm due for a new car by the end of August. I will need to see the final price. I'm guessing that Hyundai isn't telling us the price perhaps until the second wave of reservations for the EV6s FE are sold out. They want the more expensive car to be snapped up first....just IMO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, I'm due for a new car by the end of August. I will need to see the final price. I'm guessing that Hyundai isn't telling us the price perhaps until the second wave of reservations for the EV6s FE are sold out. They want the more expensive car to be snapped up first....just IMO.
I'm due for a new car as well and will stick with the Ioniq 5 if it's within about $5k of a similarly configured ID.4. I'm guessing it will be closer to the Mach E and with the 800V charging and added features, I have essentially crossed the Mach E off the list. Still considering the Model Y for the charging infrastructure and top end range, although the build quality issues scare me and I prefer the vibe of the I5.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm due for a new car as well and will stick with the Ioniq 5 if it's within about $5k of a similarly configured ID.4. I'm guessing it will be closer to the Mach E and with the 800V charging and added features, I have essentially crossed the Mach E off the list. Still considering the Model Y for the charging infrastructure and top-end range, although the build quality issues scare me and I prefer the vibe of the I5.
My friend picked up a Model Y a few months ago; he had to have the rear doors realigned as there were panel gaps and the wiring for the sound system had to be rethreated. There were some static issues.
I drove the MME which felt better built than the Y. My only complaint was the long hood and small side mirrors. Being produced outside the US, it should be a lot less expensive. The ID.4 drove nice but no AWD to test out at the time. I felt it was a little slow with just the RWD layout. If the IONIQ 5 is put together just like GV70 I drove earlier today, it will be my next car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My friend picked up a Model Y a few months ago; he had to have the rear doors realigned as there were panel gaps and the wiring for the sound system had to be rethreated. There were some static issues.
I drove the MME which felt better built than the Y. My only complaint was the long hood and small side mirrors. Being produced outside the US, it should be a lot less expensive. The ID.4 drove nice but no AWD to test out at the time. I felt it was a little slow with just the RWD layout. If the IONIQ 5 is put together just like GV70 I drove earlier today, it will be my next car.
Thanks for the info! I really like the look of the Mach E but the charging times seem way slower than other options at the same price (both DC fast charging and home charging).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the info! I really like the look of the Mach E but the charging times seem way slower than other options at the same price (both DC fast charging and home charging).
It's also worth noting that the Model Y's range isn't actually as much better as it looks like. Tesla is extremely misleading w.r.t. efficiency. Per some recent tests by edmunds (if memory serves). Tesla's rated range figures usually can't even be achieved driving the vehicle until the battery is dead and the vehicle stops (Hyundai, by comparison, is known for being fairly conservative with it's range estimates). The theoretical (best case) energy consumption figures for the I5 and Model Y actually look pretty close (though we don't have a lot of tests on the I5 yet, so really us US folk should all just wait until the fall when the rest of the world has had a couple months to test things out)

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
It's also worth noting that the Model Y's range isn't actually as much better as it looks like. Tesla is extremely misleading w.r.t. efficiency. Per some recent tests by edmunds (if memory serves). Tesla's rated range figures usually can't even be achieved driving the vehicle until the battery is dead and the vehicle stops (Hyundai, by comparison, is known for being fairly conservative with it's range estimates). The theoretical (best case) energy consumption figures for the I5 and Model Y actually look pretty close (though we don't have a lot of tests on the I5 yet, so really us US folk should all just wait until the fall when the rest of the world has had a couple months to test things out)
The EPA has two approved rating methods (that I know of). I believe all manufacturers use the 2 cycle test except Tesla which uses the 5 cycle test. The 5 cycle test give a higher range.

Here is a link to the EPA method. Note on page 2 Tesla is the exception the 0.7 rating menthod.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The EPA has two approved rating methods (that I know of). I believe all manufacturers use the 2 cycle test except Tesla which uses the 5 cycle test. The 5 cycle test give a higher range.

Here is a link to the EPA method. Note on page 2 Tesla is the exception the 0.7 rating menthod.
Good reference. Anyway, my point is that by consequence of it's testing regime (and that it doesn't derate its own test results as some manufacturers do) it's range figures are hard to compare with other manufacturers, and give a misleading impression that teslas are more efficient than they actually are (though even then they're still more efficient than anyone else on average)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi -

I live in NYC and put down a reservation for the Ioniq 5. This will primarily be a car for getting out of the city on the weekends and going to our parents (who both live 2 hours from the city in different directions), and for little road trips (to go hiking, skiing, etc.). I am starting to get a bit of cold feet, though, about charging.

The garage we use in Brooklyn doesn't have any charging capability so we would have to rely on a combination of public DC fast charging and maybe installing home chargers at our parents houses. Yet, the public infrastructure still seems pretty limited outside of the supercharger network.

This is making me, somewhat reluctantly, think that I should just get a Model Y since their charging infrastructure is so much more well established.

What do people think and what other options am I missing? I saw the partnership with Electrify America but there just aren't a lot of options. The 800V architecture is also really cool but how many compatible charging stations are there? Seems like something you wouldn't get to exploit that often.
I want to offer an alternative that works just great: a plug in hybrid. My Ioniq plug in hybrid gets 29 miles on the battery alone. But after that I get an EASY 55 mpg and a total range of 600 miles. This has been the best of both worlds. And it can be charge overnight on just 110 current (maybe your garage has a standard plug?) If the Ioniq is a bit too low, try its "sister" but more-like-SUV car, the Kia Nero plug-in. These cars are fitted with all the great safety and lux equipment and don't cost much, especially after all the rebates and tax credits. This is a great way to reduce emissions without range anxiety. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
197 Posts
I want to offer an alternative that works just great: a plug in hybrid. My Ioniq plug in hybrid gets 29 miles on the battery alone. But after that I get an EASY 55 mpg and a total range of 600 miles. This has been the best of both worlds. And it can be charge overnight on just 110 current (maybe your garage has a standard plug?) If the Ioniq is a bit too low, try its "sister" but more-like-SUV car, the Kia Nero plug-in. These cars are fitted with all the great safety and lux equipment and don't cost much, especially after all the rebates and tax credits. This is a great way to reduce emissions without range anxiety. Hope this helps. Best wishes.
Been there. Done that with Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for 5 years. I think it’s a good interim strategy. Thought it worked well while I was waiting for charging infrastructure to catch up in Aus. Especially, as you say, being able to top up overnight from an ordinary home powerpoint (or work powerpoint 😉). Threshold for charging has now been crossed in Aus so I converted to Kona EV 2 years ago.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
197 Posts

Thanks, that’s very helpful. But to state the obvious, at least to you & me, I’m a little concerned that some posters are confusing range comparisons with actual range, & arguing that a difference of 30 km (or even 50 km) official range is significant. When in fact a tailwind/headwind, hot/cold temperatures, traffic lights & hills, or just driving style, will have a greater effect on how far they can travel between chargers.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
Thanks, that’s very helpful. But to state the obvious, at least to you & me, I’m a little concerned that some posters are confusing range comparisons with actual range, & arguing that a difference of 30 km (or even 50 km) official range is significant. When in fact a tailwind/headwind, hot/cold temperatures, traffic lights & hills, or just driving style, will have a greater effect on how far they can travel between chargers.
Absolutly. I have been driving an EV for over 3 years now. It is a learning experience.
For real long range I now have a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid plug in that gets about 32 miles on a charge. So arround town if I need to haul something or 6 or 7 people, it is all EV in the Pacifica. On the road it has a combined range of over 450 miles.
I want to go long range all EV. I hope the Ioniq 5 allows this. I posted a thread on the charging speed of the Ioniq 5 from two videos I found. see Charging Profiles Charging speed is the other important factor. Once you can go 150 miles at freeway speed and charge fast the rest is not material. k

·
Registered
44 Posts
major difference between vehicles for sure. Just want a EV that goes the distance and is less money the FORD will do it.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts