Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I live in NYC and put down a reservation for the Ioniq 5. This will primarily be a car for getting out of the city on the weekends and going to our parents (who both live 2 hours from the city in different directions), and for little road trips (to go hiking, skiing, etc.). I am starting to get a bit of cold feet, though, about charging.

The garage we use in Brooklyn doesn't have any charging capability so we would have to rely on a combination of public DC fast charging and maybe installing home chargers at our parents houses. Yet, the public infrastructure still seems pretty limited outside of the supercharger network.

This is making me, somewhat reluctantly, think that I should just get a Model Y since their charging infrastructure is so much more well established.

What do people think and what other options am I missing? I saw the partnership with Electrify America but there just aren't a lot of options. The 800V architecture is also really cool but how many compatible charging stations are there? Seems like something you wouldn't get to exploit that often.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi -

I live in NYC and put down a reservation for the Ioniq 5. This will primarily be a car for getting out of the city on the weekends and going to our parents (who both live 2 hours from the city in different directions), and for little road trips (to go hiking, skiing, etc.). I am starting to get a bit of cold feet, though, about charging.

The garage we use in Brooklyn doesn't have any charging capability so we would have to rely on a combination of public DC fast charging and maybe installing home chargers at our parents houses. Yet, the public infrastructure still seems pretty limited outside of the supercharger network.

This is making me, somewhat reluctantly, think that I should just get a Model Y since their charging infrastructure is so much more well established.

What do people think and what other options am I missing? I saw the partnership with Electrify America but there just aren't a lot of options. The 800V architecture is also really cool but how many compatible charging stations are there? Seems like something you wouldn't get to exploit that often.
I'm looking at a map of electrify america stations in the greater NY metro area, and there seem to be a few in the city itself, as well as one along I-95 every <= 50 miles or so with a few others scattered about. The other networks have some as well (though their very varied in their power level/etc). I can't get the Evolve NY site to load at the moment, but NYS is building a bunch of stations within the state (through the Evolve NY program) (including a couple along Route 17, which would be useful for me visiting friends).

We don't really have a good characterization of the I5's range characteristics, but the worst case should be somewhere around >= 150 miles assuming you aren't driving like a maniac, so you should be well within range of adequate charging facilities on a highway drive in basically any direction (though I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit anxious about range myself. I haven't reserved - I'll have to find an apartment with a garage in the next couple months and I'm inclined to wait until we have more data anyway, but that anxiety is probably not super warranted).

What kind of scenario are you concerned about in which your battery might die?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I live in NYC and put down a reservation for the Ioniq 5...
ChargePoint and Tesla seem to be the big providers in your area. Electrify America is pretty rare in comparison. A home charger helps EVs offset their expense because (in many regions) electricity is cheaper than gasoline and you can charge up overnight while you sleep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChargePoint and Tesla seem to be the big providers in your area. Electrify America is pretty rare in comparison. A home charger helps EVs offset their expense because (in many regions) electricity is cheaper than gasoline and you can charge up overnight while you sleep.
Thanks so much - I hadn't looked into ChargePoint. Will Ioniq 5 users be able to use Tesla chargers, though? That seems to be a hotly debated topic right now but haven't heard of any agreements between Tesla and Hyundai. Yes - home charging is ideal. We can't do that at our home base but could install 110 or 240V chargers at our frequent destinations. I haven't been able to find anything published on level 1 and 2 charging times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at a map of electrify america stations in the greater NY metro area, and there seem to be a few in the city itself, as well as one along I-95 every <= 50 miles or so with a few others scattered about. The other networks have some as well (though their very varied in their power level/etc). I can't get the Evolve NY site to load at the moment, but NYS is building a bunch of stations within the state (through the Evolve NY program) (including a couple along Route 17, which would be useful for me visiting friends).

We don't really have a good characterization of the I5's range characteristics, but the worst case should be somewhere around >= 150 miles assuming you aren't driving like a maniac, so you should be well within range of adequate charging facilities on a highway drive in basically any direction (though I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit anxious about range myself. I haven't reserved - I'll have to find an apartment with a garage in the next couple months and I'm inclined to wait until we have more data anyway, but that anxiety is probably not super warranted).

What kind of scenario are you concerned about in which your battery might die?
I think mostly just charging on the go being a royal pain and slowing down trips

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think mostly just charging on the go being a royal pain and slowing down trips
CCS vehicles can theoretically use Tesla destination chargers, but not the supercharger network. That said, if a CCS DCFC station is reasonably accessible (preferably EA, they're the fastest on average), it's not really that different from Tesla. The I5, if you can find a 350kw charger, will charge faster than teslas. On the more typical 150kw charger it should take < 30 minutes to get to 80%. That's certainly a while to wait, but that's kind of where EVs mostly are these days (until 350kw chargers are more common)
(It's also worth noting that the CCS network is growing rapidly)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - is there any app which aggregates all possible chargers or will it be necessary to check 4-5 different apps / websites when looking for a charger along your route?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks - is there any app which aggregates all possible chargers or will it be necessary to check 4-5 different apps / websites when looking for a charger along your route?
There are a few (mind you, I'm researching in advance of an EV purchase myself, so one of the EV owners could provide more information). Plugshare is a common one, there's another called "A Better Route Planner" that I'm unfamiliar with. (Note Plugshare, at least, doesn't seem to show a lot of planned stations, so as a NY area resident I'd suggest looking up the Evolve NY website for their planned sites)

I also defer to the EV owners in the US (I live in CT, FWIW) to smack me down if I've said something terribly stupid.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Apple Maps is what I use. It has a pretty up-to-date list of charging services. It doesn’t how if they are in use but will help you discover networks in your area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you don't have a charger in your garage, or block etc... I'd not be getting an electric car. You might want to make it your next car.

I live in the Berkshires. You all come out here to do ****, or at least a lot of you do. We don't have chargers. Not a single one in my town (we have a ski resort without any) and there are like 3 in the town next to me, and they are the college's, but I think anyone can use them.

I don't know if there is a fast charger in the whole county, at least not one of these EA ones. I did see a f-250 drive by yesterday morning with tesla markings on it though, so maybe they are coming.

So, your home doesn't have a charger, and you don't know when the garage will add them, or if you can even get a spot at one...Where you are going might not have them...

I'd look hard at going electric this time.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
208 Posts
Either PlugShare or A Better Route Planner (ABRP) will show multiple brands of chargers. You can select (Filter) the brands you want to see in either. ABRP is the best for planing a trip, but you will not be able to select the Ioniq 5 as your car. You can create a custom car, but I use the Porsche Taycan as a substitue. The Ioniq 5 should perform better than the Taycan, but it give a good idea of stops and charge time required. There is a learning curve to using ABRP, but it is worth it. There are some youtube videos on its use.
I currently have a Chevy Bolt, but it charges too slow on DCFC for long trips. Looking to get an Ioniq 5 for long trips.
You can use most Tesla destination chargers - there are 240v in the US and give about 6 to 7 kW per hour. None of the Tesla SuperCharges can be used.
To learn a lot about owning and driving an EV check out the Chey Bolt forum - Chevy Bolt EV Forum Bolts have been on the road since 2016, so there is a lot of info there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live near NYC, I haven't seen any EA ports nearby but that doesn't mean they exist. The smart thing to do is to buy multiple charing adapters including Teslas in case of an emergency. But more importantly, wait for the MSPR. If it will end up costing as much as a model 3 or Y, it might make sense to get one of those for the sake of charing.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
208 Posts
I did a search on PlugShare and the closest I could find was in Elizabeth, NJ. This is really bad. :mad:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did a search on PlugShare and the closest I could find was in Elizabeth, NJ. This is really bad. :mad:
What were you looking for?

For anyone driving in NYS (like me, not infrequently), here's that map of charging stations the state is building (Their website is back online): EVolve NY Planned Sites - Google My Maps. There's actually one a few miles from some friends of mine. Most of their stations seem to have at least one 350kw charger. No idea how up to date that map is, but it's linked on the Evolve NY website.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
228 Posts
I live near NYC, I haven't seen any EA ports nearby but that doesn't mean they exist. The smart thing to do is to buy multiple charing adapters including Teslas in case of an emergency. But more importantly, wait for the MSPR. If it will end up costing as much as a model 3 or Y, it might make sense to get one of those for the sake of charing.
Sensible advice wherever you live. But don’t forget while you can use Tesla (slow) destination chargers you still won’t be able to use Tesla superchargers which are linked to each individual Tesla’s ID.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The more I look into this the more I'm convinced I can make it work. Having 2 years of free EA charging is a huge bonus, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've reserved the Limited Trim. Hopefully, it's priced at just above $50k and gets closer to $40k with credits & incentives. I'm worried it will be closer to the top end EV6 at $58k

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think you are right about the $58k range.
It is probable that the price will not be $58k. For one thing, that $58k is for the EV6's first edition (which is all up, special edition. One pays a premium for such things). For another, rumor was going around weeks ago that the I5 would probably be a bit cheaper. Obviously we're speculating wildly, but if I had to guess, the AWD limited trim will probably be no more than $55k, RWD a bit less. But yeah, wild guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is probable that the price will not be $58k. For one thing, that $58k is for the EV6's first edition (which is all up, special edition. One pays a premium for such things). For another, rumor was going around weeks ago that the I5 would probably be a bit cheaper. Obviously we're speculating wildly, but if I had to guess, the AWD limited trim will probably be no more than $55k, RWD a bit less. But yeah, wild guess.
Then I guess the question for me becomes is it worth 10-15k more than the ID.4

1 - 20 of 66 Posts