Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow and future IONIQ owners. Has anyone experienced someone leaving their car charging all day on a public charger? Especially when you NEED to charge.
I work at a public location where charging is free, but it is almost impossible to get a charging spot because the same cars are there all day.

If you have experienced this:
1- what did you do
2- what do you recommend if you run into this
3-advice for everyone

Being a PHEV owner, I dont ‘need’ to charge my car, but, I can get to and from work on a single charge. So if I was able to charge my car for 2 hours at work for free, I could essentially drive for free. Unfortunately these people take these spots because they are good spots. Yes they ARE plug-in vehicles, but that doesn’t mean you can just “have” that spot. To me, your supposed to share the spot. I use it until my car is full then on my next break I go out and move it (when I can finally get a spot).

your thoughts?

·
Registered
753 Posts
At my school, Norwalk Community College, we have EV club. All of the EV, PHEV, and hybrid owner are members. This way we can communicate. We have no problem with our two level 2 charger. Everyone is knowing each other and move their vehicle out of the chargers while they can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At the government center in the town where my job is there are 4 chargers. A Prius prime parks there all day but it’s not usually an issue. There was an ice that parked in the ev spot but I messaged the center on Facebook and he stopped taking the spot immediately

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hello fellow and future IONIQ owners. Has anyone experienced someone leaving their car charging all day on a public charger? Especially when you NEED to charge.
I work at a public location where charging is free, but it is almost impossible to get a charging spot because the same cars are there all day.

If you have experienced this:
1- what did you do
2- what do you recommend if you run into this
3-advice for everyone

Being a PHEV owner, I dont ‘need’ to charge my car, but, I can get to and from work on a single charge. So if I was able to charge my car for 2 hours at work for free, I could essentially drive for free. Unfortunately these people take these spots because they are good spots. Yes they ARE plug-in vehicles, but that doesn’t mean you can just “have” that spot. To me, your supposed to share the spot. I use it until my car is full then on my next break I go out and move it (when I can finally get a spot).

your thoughts?
Is there some kind of security company that monitors the parking lot? You could get in touch with them, and ask them to put up the proper signs (Charging vehicles only, 3 hrs max, etc.) and ticket vehicles which violate the conditions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there some kind of security company that monitors the parking lot? You could get in touch with them, and ask them to put up the proper signs (Charging vehicles only, 3 hrs max, etc.) and ticket vehicles which violate the conditions.
Yes, not a bad idea, but they cant write tickets or anything. But definitely a thought. I was actually thinking about trying to see if the company will start having the charging stations charge for idle time only. After 10 min of idle it charges you .10 a min.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
At the government center in the town where my job is there are 4 chargers. A Prius prime parks there all day but it’s not usually an issue. There was an ice that parked in the ev spot but I messaged the center on Facebook and he stopped taking the spot immediately
Thats good that people listen at least. I am going to probably contact the company. Maybe they can figure something out. Be nice if they just added more instead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Try leaving them a note with your contact info and see where it goes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Find yourself a good parking spot and let them know that you would be willing to swap places at their next break/lunch. :)

Reactions: 1stEV

·
Registered
519 Posts
These are good ideas! I may try a few.
Here's one more @CT_IONIQ

I've only public charged my PHEV 3-4 times so far, but I've just made this simple felt-penned note on a recycled bit of red soft plastic. It attaches with an elastic band, so it's easy to slip over the charging door hinge. The elastic band is intended to be light-duty enough to break rather than damage the charge door if yanked on or otherwise abused.

I have yet to use it, though I will and expect to never feel guilty using a public charger for a short term ever again.

I"ll admit that it's a bit "hokey", but hopefully will be appreciated and effective.

In your case, perhaps other PHEV drivers might notice and be more considerate, or would they simply not give a rat's a$$? ?

Attachments

Reactions: KevinT
1 - 10 of 10 Posts