Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 38kwh Ioniq, my first EV. I have just parked at a train station with a free to use 7kw charging post. The trip to the station took me down to 39% and could have used it to fully charge but I am leaving the car for 4 days while I'm in holiday and would block one of the two sockets. The other socket was in use by a PHEV. I decided not to charge but will now have to stop and rapid charge on the way back for about 30 minutes late at night to get home at a cost. Did I do right or am I being too polite?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree. It is IMO very inconsiderate to leave a vehicle occupying a charging bay for any period of time beyond the time it takes to charge (give or take but a few minutes grace). In a location where there is a very generous (over) supply of chargers (such as, at my local mall where there are 38x7kW points, increasing to 57 when they are done installing more) then I'd be more comfortable leaving it an hour or two longer - but never for 4 days!

·
Registered
55 Posts
What's the intended purpose of the charger? I would think at a train station they expect people to be gone for days.

At the PDX airport, there is a row of chargers in economy parking, so the purpose is to park there plugged in for however many days people are traveling.

Anyhow, nobody should be relying on 1 of the 2 chargers being available at the station. If it's free to use, that was the mistake of the owner that encourages misuse.

You're very thoughtful to leave the spot open, and I'd probably have done the same, but I also wouldn't fault you for utilizing it.

Looks like you need about 9.5 kWh to comfortably make it back home, so perhaps a spot will be open when you return and you can spend a little over an hour charging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The station is Luton Parkway so most of the cars will be commuters parked to head into London all day. Looking on zap map the BMW PHEV charges every working day. I don't think many people would be there just a few hours. But not days though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you did the right thing, I'm not sure of the point of chargers at places like stations where people are likely to be there all day. They surely won't get close to covering their costs when at best usually one car per day will take a charge (and usually nothing larger than a top up charge at that). They are likely to average about £1 of electric sales per day!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I wish commercial property owners would give more thought to the types of chargers they install and better target their customer base. A place like an airport, train station, or resort where people will park for a day or more should stick to Level 1 (and make it free), shopping plazas Level 2 (free or cheap), and travel plazas / gas stations DC Fast (paid). It would minimize their costs while maximizing utility/attractiveness to their customers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't like free charging. It simply encourages opportunity charging, and then people get mad when the free spot they were relying on is taken due to overuse. If there is a cost associated with occupying a charging spot, nobody can complain because obviously the person charging needed it.

I'm all for businesses doing whatever they want, but we can't be surprised when something offered for free is made terrible by inconsiderate people. It's like expecting a free vending machine meant only for very starving people to have snacks in it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Assuming it's actually plugged in
Oh yeah, my pet peeve. EV's hogging charging stalls and not even charging (full or not plugged in). It's amazing to see how many people actually think that charge spots are EV parking spots, you know, a special place only EV's can park in and charging is optional!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wish commercial property owners would give more thought to the types of chargers they install and better target their customer base. A place like an airport, train station, or resort where people will park for a day or more should stick to Level 1 (and make it free), shopping plazas Level 2 (free or cheap), and travel plazas / gas stations DC Fast (paid). It would minimize their costs while maximizing utility/attractiveness to their customers.
I think that level 1 charging at public parking lots is very rare indeed, and getting rarer all the time. That would in effect mean that they've only installed some common household wall sockets, and expect people to use their own granny chargers. I've seen a few charging bays like that, relics from a time before the outlets on the chargers became standardized. Most of them in my neighborhood have already been replaced by proper level 2 chargers.

The Oslo Gardermoen Airport is a great example of how things should be done:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think that level 1 charging at public parking lots is very rare indeed, and getting rarer all the time. That would in effect mean that they've only installed some common household wall sockets, and expect people to use their own granny chargers.
Exactly. This makes it extremely inexpensive to install a lot of chargers, and if the vehicles are left plugged in for 24 hours or more they'll get at least 150 km of range from a free charge. This would not be helpful at a shopping mall or travel plaza, but in the long term parking lot of an airport or train station, or at a resort that I drive to and then stay for the weekend (or a week) it's perfect. It would attract me as a customer, but not cost the business very much at all.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There's actually a restaurant about 5 km from my house that we visit once a month that has a few level 1 posts. I do plug my granny charger in there, because we're there for 90 minutes it's basically a free round trip. In Europe and the UK you get 66% more out of a granny charger than we do here in North America, so it makes even more sense for a small business like a restaurant or pub to have a Level 1 post or two to attract customers. Installing a Level 2 would cost them a lot more, and they'd probably have to charge for it to make it viable. A Level 1 they can offer for free.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is the kind of thing that is going to spring up all over Europe in the next few years. Our Goverment announced recently that by 2035 the sale of all fossil fuel cars will be banned, even hybrids and PHEV's. Every new car sold here will be electric and the infrastructure required will be massive. Now I agree that one should pay to charge, but the cost per mile for electricity, must not exceed the cost of petrol per mile, which here is far higher than in the USA. Petrol here is typicaly £1.30 per litre in my area which equals £5.90 per UK gallon (equivalent to US$6.40 per US gallon)

So lets hope that by then, I can pull into a standard service station, plug my car in for 2 - 3 minutes and get enough electricity for 500+ miles just like I can now for petrol.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Exactly. This makes it extremely inexpensive to install a lot of chargers, and if the vehicles are left plugged in for 24 hours or more they'll get at least 150 km of range from a free charge. This would not be helpful at a shopping mall or travel plaza, but in the long term parking lot of an airport or train station, or at a resort that I drive to and then stay for the weekend (or a week) it's perfect. It would attract me as a customer, but not cost the business very much at all.
I think you have some good ideas, and I don't know how things work in Canada. But I guess that in most countries airports and railway stations are run by some public body which is financed by fees from airlines and train operators, by taxes, or both. So their budgets are way too big to worry about petty details like which kind of chargers to install. Once they actually decide to install large charger clusters at their parking lots, they might as well do it right and set up proper level 2 chargers, and perhaps even some quick chargers.

Here are some photos from the Ideon Science Park in Lund, Sweden, where they retired their old level 1 charger outlets a little more than a year ago.

This is what it used to look like. Underneath the yellow covers were ordinary household outlets for plugging in your granny charger:

Here are two of the old charging posts waiting to be taken away and scrapped:

This is what they installed instead. There are now 32 dual level 2 chargers, serving a total of 64 cars at four locations of 16 bays each.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So lets hope that by then, I can pull into a standard service station, plug my car in for 2 - 3 minutes and get enough electricity for 500+ miles just like I can now for petrol.
It's remarkable (but not surprising) how often that "need" is expressed. For the huge majority (and, clearly, I can't speak for your specific circumstances) they are quite simply wrong. There is rarely if ever a need to drive for over eight hours without stopping; to then only stop for 2 - 3 minutes, and then drive for another eight hours. Which is what, in effect, you are describing. And I'd contend that anyone who does so is quite likely to be dangerous.

What's important is to forget the mindset that refuelling is a separate activity always done at a remote roadside location, and then only when needed - and therefore needs to take as little time as it can. That is ICE thinking. Refuelling an EV is best done whenever there is opportunity alongside another activity - such as a meal break on a long trip; or a shopping trip; or a visit to a gym, or whatever. Or overnight (where practical) at home or at destination. This minimises the (net) time it takes and can also minimise cost per mile.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here are some photos from the Ideon Science Park in Lund, Sweden, where they retired their old level 1 charger outlets a little more than a year ago.
This is what they installed instead. There are now 32 dual level 2 chargers, serving a total of 64 cars at four locations of 16 bays each.
View attachment 31818
That's perfect for a destination where people spend about half a day, and a great move on their part.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts