Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Team Members,

Hello, I'm a proud owner of a new 'Electric Blue' color Hyundai Ioniq EV that I purchased two weeks ago! Very excited about this car. I'll post a separate post on the PITA it was getting my hands on this car...

This is my first post after reading other comments of people having issues with the charging cable not unlocking/detaching. This happened to me at LAX the other day while picking my son up. I tried every trick possible (to include forum members ideas): 1) Unlock/Lock with SmartKey, 2) Unlock/Lock with door handle ONLY, 3) Set AUTO switch to ON, then OFF, 4) Pushed reset button on backside of OEM trickle charger, 5) Locked car and tried unlocking/locking charge door from switch, and lastly 5) Tried powering up car (wouldn't allow as error beeped "Please UNPLUG cable", and swapped parking brake from ON to OFF-- all with ZERO success! I did NOT want pull the emergency cable as I feared this could potentially break.

After being pissed, I sat in the car and calmly collected my thoughts, logically troubleshooting the root cause... Then the thought crossed my mind--BlueLink and MyHyundai app...

SOLUTION--MANUALLY REQUEST AN UNLOCK SIGNAL FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE VIA MYHYUNDAI APP!

If you have an account setup and monitor charging through your smartphone, I believe there may be a setting or an intermittent delay that keeps the cable locked for security reasons. This has solved my issue twice now...

That said, wanted to share this wisdom. Please let me know if this worked for you! ;)

-Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a plug in but the same issue happened to me, my charging cable locked. This wasn’t the first time it has locked but the online suggestions usually worked but this time none of the solutions worked. All were good suggestions. I had to have my car towed to the dealer since the car wouldn’t drive.

The towman and a sales rep found the solution. Open the hood and look for the air valve that is mentioned in the manual. Push down slowly until it stops and than pull up on the valve, you will hear a “pop”, while at the same time keep trying to disengage the cable from the port by pushing on the button. These two actions performed at the same time unlocked the cable.

Good luck to all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fellow Team Members,

Hello, I'm a proud owner of a new 'Electric Blue' color Hyundai Ioniq EV that I purchased two weeks ago! Very excited about this car. I'll post a separate post on the PITA it was getting my hands on this car...

This is my first post after reading other comments of people having issues with the charging cable not unlocking/detaching. This happened to me at LAX the other day while picking my son up. I tried every trick possible (to include forum members ideas): 1) Unlock/Lock with SmartKey, 2) Unlock/Lock with door handle ONLY, 3) Set AUTO switch to ON, then OFF, 4) Pushed reset button on backside of OEM trickle charger, 5) Locked car and tried unlocking/locking charge door from switch, and lastly 5) Tried powering up car (wouldn't allow as error beeped "Please UNPLUG cable", and swapped parking brake from ON to OFF-- all with ZERO success! I did NOT want pull the emergency cable as I feared this could potentially break.

After being pissed, I sat in the car and calmly collected my thoughts, logically troubleshooting the root cause... Then the thought crossed my mind--BlueLink and MyHyundai app...

SOLUTION--MANUALLY REQUEST AN UNLOCK SIGNAL FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE VIA MYHYUNDAI APP!

If you have an account setup and monitor charging through your smartphone, I believe there may be a setting or an intermittent delay that keeps the cable locked for security reasons. This has solved my issue twice now...

That said, wanted to share this wisdom. Please let me know if this worked for you! ;)

-Steve
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your instructions. My 2018 Ioniq EV charging cable got stuck, tried everything. Before I tow it to dealer, I read your post and it worked. The APP Remote Unlock did the trick. Thank you, thank you and thank you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Didn't you try the mechanical emergency disconnect? In the EV, it should be in the trunk, in the PHEV under the hood. @Lithium_SoCal17, why did you think it might break? This is exactly the situation it's intended for.

·
Registered
AE.3 IONIQ EV Hatch Elite 100KW 38.3 KWH
36 Posts
I'm sure there is a 15 second timeout from unlocking the car door to remove plug otherwise it automatically locks again.
Best idea if you engage the charge connector lock to "always" (best to stop theft of cable and trickle charger) is to unlock the car doors with the remote key fob while standing next to the charge port.

To activate the charge connector lock.
• Always/While charging/Do not lock

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fellow Team Members,

-Steve
Fellow Team Members,

-Steve

Hey Steve! I have tried every trick in the book. I'm so close to having it towed in. Any other ways you figured out how to disconnect the cable? I owned my ionic for 7 months and have never had it to where I couldn't unlock it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If locking and unlocking the doors has not worked. gently push the cable in and the pin may be stuck in the attempts to remove it. If that does not work use the emergency cable release in the cubby hole under the boot floor. There is a small lift up panel and the release is below it
Probably already been towed by now now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this problem three times. The first two times it eventually unlocked after lots of trials using the key fob, using the door handles.

The third time nothing worked. Did all the above, used the remote actions, setting the charger to AutoUnlock. Looked in the manual but didn't see the emergency release.

Saw your post, and voila.

The emergency release was so simple and easy. Literally took 45 seconds. Pop the hood. Find the release based on the photo. Pull the release. Boom.

Now, WHY is this happening? It has only happened when my wife or daughters drive the car. I drive every day, come home, plug it in - never had a problem.

My wife and kids borrow it, come home, plug it in and it died one time. Now the charger wouldn't unlock. I wonder what is happening.

Didn't you try the mechanical emergency disconnect? In the EV, it should be in the trunk, in the PHEV under the hood. @Lithium_SoCal17, why did you think it might break? This is exactly the situation it's intended for.
View attachment 32097

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now, WHY is this happening? It has only happened when my wife or daughters drive the car. I drive every day, come home, plug it in - never had a problem.

My wife and kids borrow it, come home, plug it in and it died one time. Now the charger wouldn't unlock. I wonder what is happening.
Perhaps it has something to do with inserting the charging cable to car charge port. If it is not completely pushed in, it might be still able to lock the connector, but to release there is to much friction preventing releace of the locking mechanizm. by pulling manual release handle one can apply more power than electric motor operating the lock.

it is just an idea, no statement about women or children's ability to operate the charging cable ;-)

Reactions: KevinT
1 - 10 of 10 Posts