Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post on a different thread suggests that it is not worth charging away from home. I had broadly come to the same conclusion, mainly due to the time involved. However it did cause me to firm up my thoughts on costings. I think the petrol/electricity breaks even at about £2.00 per hour charging rate, before any connection fee or car park charge.

I do not have many free points near me and Sainsbury seems to be the best Supermarket. If they were to put a point nearby so that we could get a free charge while shopping it would be good and sort of guarantee a parking spot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think the rapid chargers are cost effective to use whilst away from home. If I use an Ecotricity charger at their current pricing structure it works out to 8p per mile which is what my hybrid costs to run. Difference being is I don't have to wait 30 minutes for my hybrid to fill up with fuel. I do use free chargers to charge my EV when away from home, shopping for instance, but they tend to be slow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
..... Sainsbury seems to be the best Supermarket. If they were to put a point nearby so that we could get a free charge while shopping it would be good and sort of guarantee a parking spot.
And actually that's the real world solution. Power points everywhere, and when you park you'll always want to plug in to get a little top up. Unless a person only drives nothing but long distances (eg: salesman), trickle chargers can do a lot of good. They're cheaper to install, require less infrastructure and can easily become the norm.

Movies. Supermarket. Mall. Car park. Beach. Where ever people go and park their car, you immediately can do a trickle charge which suits more people than not.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
At current prices and with the consumption of the PHEV against the (low-cost) mileage gained I don't think it makes sense to drive to a charger just for the charger itself.

It does make sense if, coincidentally, a charger happens to be available where you are going anyway and you are going to spend enough time `on the plug`. And don't have to wait to do so...

Topping off while at home or in the office does make sense, especially if you can trade that for economical commuting.

Reactions: kscottnz

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My figures for Norway:

For a quite typical charging I made recently, 10% to 100%, I paid just NOK 20 ~ GBP 2.07 at a charging station, parking two hours included. This gives me approximately 45 km pure electric driving, or approx. NOK 0.44 per km.

My petrol costs, no charging involved, is about NOK 0.65 per km.

So, yes, I think it pays off, even if it's minor. Taking the included parking into account, at places where I can't park for free, it's certainly worth it.

--------
A few days ago, on Saturday, I had to visit a very crowded shopping mall/center. Even after driving around for several minutes I could not find a spare slot in the parking area. Almost gave up. Then I saw a charging station at one slot, free. Saved me from driving several miles to another mall/center. Cost was less than 1% of the things I was going to buy, and got me 40 km of driving "fuel".

(If you just park at a charging station without a cable plugged in, you might get a ticket/fine.)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
But now you have considered marginal extra costs and relative benefits. You didn't drive to the charger, you drove to the Mall - and took advantage of the charger.

Of course that now also raises the awkward question of someone else losing access to the charger because you were on it... >:)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I would certainly not drive many extra miles for a charge. Not more than one or two, maximum.

But I might select my stay, motel, tavern, kitchen, restaurant and so on, using Google, to find a place both generally attractive and have charging opportunity nearby, like any other "plus", as wi-fi.

I did charge, even if I, with a PHEV didn't strictly need. I can't decide not to use a charge station because others might need it, when I need it, too. Charging is like going to the toilet, you need and occupy.

Reactions: kscottnz

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
And there - right there - I end any further conversation in this topic about `plugging in`... >:)>:):eek:

Reactions: ajiom
1 - 9 of 9 Posts