Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All

I live in the U.S. and just got 2019 Ioniq Plug in Hybrid.

I'm not an electrical expert. After a series of googling, I found the following approach, but I'd like to seek advice before I really try.

There are a couple of outlets with NEMA 14-50R in my apartment's parking garage, and I'd like to charge my car with the standard portable charger, which comes with a new car, by hooking up tbe following adapter that I bought from Amazon. I cannot add a link.

Adapter:
Southwire 9042SW8801 UL Listed Electrical Outlet Gas Range Adapter Converting A 250 Volt Receptacle for an Electrical Range to a 125 Volt Receptacle for A Gas Range

On the standard portable charger, I can find 'YURA Corp 16A 250V' at the charging connector, '15A 125V~' at the plug (NEMA 5-15P) to an outlet, and '91887-G7520 12A 120V AC' on the control box. From this forum, I could find the document of 'EVDOUBLER™ Compatible Vehicles' and it said it could double up the charging speed, including '91887-G7520', thus I guess the portable charger also could work with 240/250V.

Can anyone please advise me whether my approach will be working fine and increase charging speed or not with NEMA 14-50R outlet? Or is there anyone who also tried this or similar approach?
From this forum, it seems some in the U.S. already have tried by their own method or adapter.

If this works then it could be a bit cheaper than EV Doubler.

Thanks

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hello All

I live in the U.S. and just got 2019 Ioniq Plug in Hybrid.

I'm not an electrical expert. After a series of googling, I found the following approach, but I'd like to seek advice before I really try.

There are level 2 charging stations with NEMA 14-50R where I stay, and I'd like to charge my car with the standard portable charger, which comes with a new car, by hooking up tbe following adapter that I bought from Amazon. I cannot add a link.
I don't understand, what did you mean "level 2 charging stations with NEMA 14-50R" If they are just an NEMA 14-50R outlet, they are not charging stations. They are more like outlets for dryers or RVs.

This is not an answer to your question. I just want to clarify things up for someone who will have a better idea on the charger that come with your vehicle. For example, if your question is "Can I plug the charger that come with my car to a NEMA 14-50R using an adapter?"

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
498 Posts
No, it will most likely not work the way you intended. It will just connect one of the 125 volts without "doubling" it. So you'll be able to charge your car, but not at greater speed than with a regular 125 volts outlet.

If you can open up the adapter, it might be possible to rewire it to connect the 250 volts through. It all depends on how it's been designed. Whether it's been sealed shut or not, and whether the wiring inside can be detached and reconnected in another configuration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unto
I don't understand, what did you mean "level 2 charging stations with NEMA 14-50R" If they are just an NEMA 14-50R outlet, they are not charging stations. They are more like outlets for dryers or RVs.

This is not an answer to your question. I just want to clarify things up for someone who will have a better idea on the charger that come with your vehicle. For example, if your question is "Can I plug the charger that come with my car to a NEMA 14-50R using an adapter?"

I should edit my post based on your feedback to avoid any confusion. I used the term 'charging station' because that's how it said at our apartment's parking garage.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
69 Posts
the set up you mentioned will just give you 120 from the 240 outlet. The evdoubler site is great pretty sure they have an adapter to get you the full 240v. The factory charger (model 91887-G7520) will work with 240 it doubles the charge speed over 120.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the set up you mentioned will just give you 120 from the 240 outlet. The evdoubler site is great pretty sure they have an adapter to get you the full 240v. The factory charger (model 91887-G7520) will work with 240 it doubles the charge speed over 120.
I believe this is true but can you cite an authoritative source?
The power brick says input/output 12A/120v while the other end, the plug, says 16A/250 volts
I suspect out of an abundance of caution Hyundai labels the input at 120.
EVDOCTOR says if you can input 220 (correct wiring and plugs) this charger will work.
I'm looking for an authoritative assessment.

Material property Label
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
69 Posts
I have been using the factory charger at 240volt since Jan. So much faster than 120v. Get a male NEMA 14-50R and wire it to a female 120v. (I use 10/2 only need black white and ground.) Plug the factory charger into the female end.

I believe this is true but can you cite an authoritative source?
The power brick says input/output 12A/120v while the other end, the plug, says 16A/250 volts
I suspect out of an abundance of caution Hyundai labels the input at 120.
EVDOCTOR says if you can input 220 (correct wiring and plugs) this charger will work.
I'm looking for an authoritative assessment.

View attachment 32570 View attachment 32571 View attachment 32570 View attachment 32571

1 - 7 of 7 Posts