Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to figure out the power usage of an idle plugged in charger.
I have been just leaving mine plugged in after the car is charged and even after disconnecting the car. Noticed it still lights up.
My charger uses its own designated outlet. Other people use the car. I wanted to secure the plug in the outlet so it doesn't get plugged into another and nothing gets plugged into the chargers outlet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about the 110V charger? If so, go on Amazon and buy a power consumption monitor. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago for $18 CDN, works great for anything plugged into 110V. Most will support up to 15A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a 240v evse on a dryer plug and I have one of those generic Chinese pzem ac energy monitors reading the current off a hall monitor clamp in a junction box that I made. I noticed that the Ioniq phev that is plugged in and not charging is indistinguishable from the evse leakage current of about 1watt. So I think the vampire current for a plugged in ioniq is very low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a 240v evse on a dryer plug and I have one of those generic Chinese pzem ac energy monitors reading the current off a hall monitor clamp in a junction box that I made. I noticed that the Ioniq phev that is plugged in and not charging is indistinguishable from the evse leakage current of about 1watt. So I think the vampire current for a plugged in ioniq is very low.
I think he's talking about the power draw of the Hyundai 110v charger, which is operating even when not charging. I was recently wondering the same thing as my recent electricity bill jumped significantly, and the only difference from what I can tell is that over the last couple months I was habitually leaving the charger plugged in when not in use.

Either that or my pesky kids are leaving the durned lights on more! ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have plugged the 110 V Hyundai charger into a Watt meter, which was, in turn, plugged in to the wall outlet. It showed 0.5 W when the charger was not plugged into the car.

This seems to be pretty good, on par with other modern, energy-efficient chargers and devices. It may be still better to unplug the charger when not using it, on general principles, as with any electric device.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Interesting, as my Poniie PN 2000 Electricity Monitor shows 1.74 Watt draw on unplugged Ioniq connection, when plugged in to an 15' extension cord that itself shows 0.00 draw when plugged in to the 120 Volt outlet. Still not a big drain, although it all adds up right?

See pics attached. I'm charging now, but only to about 75-80% before leaving the Ioniq parked for a couple of weeks. So I can't report today what the draw is when plugged in at 100% charge idle, but assume (yes, I know) that it would still be 1.74 Watt.

BTW my max charging on high is at 11.282 Amps draw.

While I still consider myself relatively electrically challenged, I'm hopeful that I'm learning little by little about this stuff with the help of this Forum. ;) (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses. I need to get one of those watt meters.
I was talking about the stock 120V charger. However I am using it plugged into 240v (this works fine for any model #91887-G7520 hyundi charger) I read it is the same charger used in Europe (240v) just with a different plug. Cuts charge time in half. (about 10 miles per hour)
I can live with that small a vampire load. I need to secure the plug to the outlet so nothing else(120) gets plugged in. With multiple drivers this will work fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the "vampire" charge on the domestic power supply is almost irrelevant, if you leave it in too long you may be adding a few cents to your domestic power bill.
I am more concerned about the vampire current on the cars 12 V battery when the charger plug is connected. I had an incident where I could not discontent the charger from the car, at the time I did not know how to use the emergency release ... anyway I ended up leaving it plugged in for 3 days ( not connected to the main power ) and ended up with a very flat battery by the time I worked out what to do. I had to get the Hyundai roadside assist to give me a jump start. After this, I went out and bought my own 12 V car jump starter so I can manage a low 12 V battery myself, as others on the forum have suggested.
It looks like to me ( without any direct proof ) that while the charger plug is connected to the car there is a drain on the 12 V battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts