Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an interesting call on my mobile from Western Power, the electricity network supplier in the South West. They had been notified by Pod Point that I had recently had a charger installed.

Apparently it was not uncommon practise 40 odd years ago when our semi detached property was built for the house builder to run in one mains cable to the two properties and to create a loop that supplied power to the two meter / electrical distribution boards by way of a cable loop.

Western Power informed me that completely free of charge they want to dig up my driveway install a dedicated supply to my property and to leave the looped cable to in effect supply my neighbour but this time exclusively.

They stated on three occasions that this was at their expense and that they would even be making good the drive etc. There would be no charge to me as the property owner.

Our neighbours had been contacted before us and without my knowledge, this did annoy me, they had refused to have their property touched (who could blame them). The reason for this work is that there is a potential for the constant 7kw drain whilst charging could trip the mains out effecting our neighbours and our own supply.

Western Power stated that unless we agreed to the work they could prevent us from using a car charger on the property.

They are sending plans and will schedule the work. My thoughts are that this problem might effect others including people in maisonette type properties.

Has anybody else had similar contact from their electricity network supplier.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My power supply is from the Western Power network. They moved my meter at my request, and about a year ago they replaced the power supply poles and feed boxes for the whole street, to maintain the integrity of the supply. Both jobs were done quickly and very efficently.Western Power seem to be very good at maintaining their network
My property is 86 years old and feed by overhead power cable
Waiting for delivery date before my Pod Point is installed

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think Western Power May be Concerened that the extra load on their network may Unbalance the 3 Phase grid. Causing problems for other consumers in your area
See:- https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/35829/unbalanced-three-phase-system-neutral-fails-opens-disconnects-consequence

This comment in particular :-

In 3 phase circuits the phases may appear balanced but when you will turn on load one phase will start dimming and others will show very high voltage thus resulting in damage to your electrical equipment.

https://electronics.stackexchange.c...m-neutral-fails-opens-disconnects-consequence

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a looped power supply from my neighbours (I know because they cut through it once....). The electricity company told me that if I complained about it and claimed the neighbours are unhappy then they would have no option but to lay a proper cable to my house at their expense.

So yeah, what you are hearing sounds legit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jaffer

Thanks they are going to do the work in June (hopefully)

I have a looped power supply from my neighbours (I know because they cut through it once....). The electricity company told me that if I complained about it and claimed the neighbours are unhappy then they would have no option but to lay a proper cable to my house at their expense.

So yeah, what you are hearing sounds legit.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I contacted Western Power Distribution as a result of this post and this is the reply I received :-

I have had a look at the effect of attaching the charger at your property and preliminary investigation would suggest it may have some issues with harmonics.

To overcome this some reinforcement work would be required on our network, would you like me to look into what is required.

My power is overhead supplied and the substation is 50Yards from my house
I assume that the harmonics they refer to are produced by the Chargers switched mode PSU

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Did I, or did I not, mention the issue with `brownouts` if more than half a dozen properties in an individual street were equipped with Fast or Rapid chargers?

Your neighbour with be more sympathetic if you explain it's to prevent HIM losing HIS power, and will also provide a cleaner `feed` to his property.

Good opportunity while they have your drive up to look at battery storage solutions to sit alongside the power point - that way you could, in the event of a power cut, actually use the car to run the house, which you cant do from the plug itself.

Reactions: Steve G
1 - 9 of 9 Posts