Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low beams on the SE with CCP in Canada are a H7 bulb. Has anyone had any issues getting an aftermarket LED in the headlight housing? I knew there was a size difference, but I didnt realize there was so much.

Also if the LED fits, is there any concern about heat build up on the backend of the bulb? (heat resistor/fan area) since it all goes into an enclosed unit..

Any feedback on this would be great. I am on the fence between LED or Silverstars as the stock bulbs look horrible.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The low beams on the SE with CCP in Canada are a H7 bulb. Has anyone had any issues getting an aftermarket LED in the headlight housing? I knew there was a size difference, but I didnt realize there was so much.

Also if the LED fits, is there any concern about heat build up on the backend of the bulb? (heat resistolr/fan area) since it all goes into an enclosed unit..

Any feedback on this would be great. I am on the fence between LED or Silverstars as the stock bulbs look horrible.
I am also very interested in changing the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was kind of surprised that LED headlights weren't standard equipment, that is unless the cost vs energy savings are marginal.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kind of surprised that LED headlights weren't standard equipment, that is unless the cost vs energy savings are marginal.
I was actually very curious about this. I am sure there is some savings but I doubt it will be game changing.

Also I read in another post about how the halogens heat up the headlights and help defrost the headlights. So far I haven't had a problem with ice on the headlights as I use RainX.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll be trying to use H7 LEDs when mine comes in... at some point. If needed. I heard the low beams are kind of weak.

Once I take a look under the hood and make sure there's enough room for the heat sinks and ventilation as most high power LEDs also have fans.

The one's I'm looking at are $40 and 8000lm.

The thing is, the Ioniq uses H7L for the low beams (only 1 element). Lots of those LED H7s are combination low+high (2 LED emitters).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've decided I will be upgrading to LEDs, but I'm going to wait till spring so I can get under the hood and open the headlights to take some measurements. I've had bad experiences with plastic parts in sub zero weather.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've decided I will be upgrading to LEDs, but I'm going to wait till spring so I can get under the hood and open the headlights to take some measurements. I've had bad experiences with plastic parts in sub zero weather.
Which led are you planning to use?

Dealer told me PIAA h7 extreme white is compatible with my car and dealer approved. It is 4000 lumens.

Reactions: Zeuser

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which led are you planning to use?

Dealer told me PIAA h7 extreme white is compatible with my car and dealer approved. It is 4000 lumens.
Those are still halogen bulbs and expensive ones at that. I'm looking at led.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hyundai USA Site

Exterior > LED Headlights - Standard for Limited trim level.

If they offer something completely different in reality, that's false advertising.

Please read your link again.

HID headlights with LED light guide

1. It applies only to the Ultimate, not the Limited.
2. The headlights are HID; the LED are the trim lights or "light guide."

·
Registered
264 Posts
Please read your link again.

1. It applies only to the Ultimate, not the Limited.
2. The headlights are HID; the LED are the trim lights or "light guide."

No it applies to the Limited. The HID headlights is optional and ONLY part of the ultimate package. If you buy the Limited trim Ioniq it comes with the LED headlights. The Base trim comes with halogen headlights and LED daytime running lights. If you buy the Ultimate package it comes with HID. The trim lights are the same on all trim levels. That's just the light that turns on when you turn on the car with headlights off.

My point was that on at least one trim of Ioniq in US it comes with LED headlights. Which means Hyundian has LED headlights that fits the Ioniq.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No it applies to the Limited. The HID headlights is optional and ONLY part of the ultimate package. If you buy the Limited trim Ioniq it comes with the LED headlights. The Base trim comes with halogen headlights and LED daytime running lights. If you buy the Ultimate package it comes with HID. The trim lights are the same on all trim levels. That's just the light that turns on when you turn on the car with headlights off.

My point was that on at least one trim of Ioniq in US it comes with LED headlights. Which means Hyundian has LED headlights that fits the Ioniq.
Very odd that the US would have LED on the Limited. They would be carry-overs from the Hybrid I guess.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts