Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to change the tires of my Ioniq hybrid and was thinking on moving from the original 225/45/R17 (which I always thought are too big for this car) to 205/50/R17.

I already checked and legally there should be no problem.

Has anyone moved from the original size to this or any other smaller size?

Also, will the original rims be still fine for the new size?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Plug In Limited
55 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem from what I can tell. The new more narrow tire size is only 0.1" taller than the old, wider tire so it shouldn't affect your speedometer reading much at all. I also pulled a random 205/40-17 tire's specs from Tirerack.com and they said it is okay to be mounted on rims with a width of 6.5" to 7.5" and I believe the factory 17" Ioniq wheels are 7" wide so you should be good.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Take it to a shop to determine it for you.

I was going to downsize the factory 16" wheels to 15" for a set of snows, and despite the guide that the shops use saying 15" wheels will fit, the rear calipers were too large for the 15" wheels to fit. Tire rack and all of the other reputable sites also say that I can do the downsize, and maybe it's true for the non-EV models, but to be safe with these cars, have the shop determine it for you... that is unless you'd like to figure it out for yourself, go and buy one wheel with a tire mounted on it and see lol

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Plug In Limited
55 Posts
Take it to a shop to determine it for you.

I was going to downsize the factory 16" wheels to 15" for a set of snows, and despite the guide that the shops use saying 15" wheels will fit, the rear calipers were too large for the 15" wheels to fit. Tire rack and all of the other reputable sites also say that I can do the downsize, and maybe it's true for the non-EV models, but to be safe with these cars, have the shop determine it for you... that is unless you'd like to figure it out for yourself, go and buy one wheel with a tire mounted on it and see lol
The wheel did not fit because of the larger brake calipers on your specific model. He's keeping the same wheel, just mounting a tire that's 20mm more narrow than the stock tire which will cause no fitment issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The wheel did not fit because of the larger brake calipers on your specific model. He's keeping the same wheel, just mounting a tire that's 20mm more narrow than the stock tire which will cause no fitment issues whatsoever.
Yep... mis-read, my mistake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's time to change the tires of my Ioniq hybrid and was thinking on moving from the original 225/45/R17 (which I always thought are too big for this car) to 205/50/R17.

I already checked and legally there should be no problem.

Has anyone moved from the original size to this or any other smaller size?

Also, will the original rims be still fine for the new size?

Many thanks!
As we are both from spain, I suggest you visiting the following site to check whether is legal to fit that tires based on diameter percentage variation:

LINK

Edit: I didn't saw that you already checked it is legal... 😰 Anyway, it may help others...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts