Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is very interesting.

Take a look at YouTube and see how battery temperature. lower than +28C in Ioniq 38 is making slow charging.
Go to YouTube Hyundai Ioniq 38 kWh 1000 km challenge (Bjørn Nyland ).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Because the 28 kWh IONIQ was optimised for a battery that size and has great cooling - in fact at it's launch, the 70 kW charge rate was exceptionally high for a "budget" vehicle. The 38 kWh IONIQ has more capacity crammed into almost the same volume. This reduces it's ability to dissipate heat, which in turn means that electric current (which is what creates the heat) must be limited to ensure battery safety and longevity. A future IONIQ, designed from scratch with a bigger batter in mind will likely have much increased charging rates.
In fact the 38Kwh has both air and liquid cooling, so arguably they've improved that aspect in respect to the 28kwh.
I think some have focused on battery percentages, e.g time to get to 50% capacity. But, 50% capacity is greater on the 38kwh than 50% on the 28kwh.
In real world driving most are going to be doing most charging from home, this being the case the 38kwh has more range from home anyway.
I found something interesting on YouTube, about the battery temperature and the charging speed for the Ioniq 38.
I wrote a little time ago.
How to find this YouTube video from "Tesla Bjørn".

·
Registered
325 Posts
While I have the utmost respect for Bjørn Nyland, I think that he's generally much too focused on traveling very long distances with multiple DC charging sessions, something that most of us rarely do.

99% of my driving is in the local vicinity where an overnight charge at home will easily cover all my driving during the following day. That's where the Ioniq really comes into its own.

Personally, I would find it much more useful with a three phase on-board AC-charger than improved DC charging speed. That would enable me to charge three times as fast at home without upgrading my electrical installation, and also charge reasonably fast (~22 kW) at public destination chargers without paying the premium for rapid DC-charging, which can be three times as expensive or more per kWh as AC-charging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Charging Home 3 phase 400 volt very good. My technical interest is also how the battery functions, in many ways.
Many Ioniq owners write about the slow DC charging and I think the information always is interesting.
The Ioniq 38 kWh is using a new type of battery cells and three battery modules. It is too small for many more battery cells and making a different situation for the heating and cooling system.

It is interesting that the small Peugeot 208 electric is much faster in DC charging. It is charging at 50 to 60 kW most of the time. So here Hyundai has something to learn.
And Peugeot people can also buy it with a 3 phase onboard charger.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts