Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEL P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire on 2019 PHEV
Hi all, I am new to this forum, and wondering if anyone had this issue. I have read some other posts about cylinder 3 misfire, but not cylinder 1
Purchased 2019 PHEV new on 10/31/2019 car had 92 miles. Car currently has 600 miles.
Check engine light went on yesterday (12/12/2019) morning when I shifted from electric to sport mode, the engine hesitated and then started, but also CEL came on.
Car ran fine after the incident. I brought the car to dealer today, they ran some test and test drove it, they claimed the computer cleared the CEL but the code was still stored in the computer. Car ran fine for the mechanic, but they ordered new coil packs, and I have to bring the car back in on 12/26/2019, they will keep the car for a day to also do more tests. The car appears to run fine as it seems as the code was from that one incident. The engine probably has about 100 miles on it as I mainly use the car in Electric mode. The fuel tank is still on full from when I purchased it from the dealer.
I drove the car home today from the dealer in sport mode and was pleased as how peppy the car is. I am thinking that this was just a random incident.
If anyone has info about this it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Bry899,

I have a 2018 Ioniq and same issue started for me at 45,000 km my car is currently on 73,000 km ,still its not resolved. For me Dealership has change all 4 cylinder coils, changed spark plugs and did a bunch of other things but still my car gives the same error code of cylinder 1 mismire. Hytech which is engineering department for Hyundai to help dealerships in issues, dont know what's going on with my car. Its been a while that i am struggling to make them understand that this car is a lemon or it has a major post production issue. BTW i am battling this issue for more that 8 months now. The dealership will always claim that they rectified it and it wont happen again but for some reason it does happen again and again and again. I got this car coz my i have a long drive to work but seems like its giving me a lot of issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rohanb105, Thanks for the info.
I dropped the car off this morning for replacement of the coil packs, they are holding the car for more testing and gave me a loaner (sonata) car.
I will post on here what they did when I receive the car back, should be tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know we're talking about warranty cars, but I'd change number 1 coil with number 3 (or any other) coil pack and drive some more to see if it will still give P0301. IF the code changes to cylinder 3 (wherever I got the coil from), then I'd suspect the coil pack. Misfire reason number 1 are the spark plugs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Ionko, Thats good info for troubleshooting,
The Dealer changed all the coil packs as the car is under warranty, They are holding the car as now there is a random misfire on other cylinders. They contacted Hyundai for further assistance as what to do next.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I suspect they swapped all that "batch" of coils but have now inadvertantly disturbed all 8 connections to ignition leads and spark plugs. So now there is lots of scope to swap out 8 leads and plugs. They'll cure the fault for you at their expense and a little fuel for you in your loan car.

I had P0304 Cyl 4 misfire & P0011 camshaft position over advanced at 18k miles (2k petrol) . Also got multiple misfire code. After cold start in Sport mode doing 50mph... Rough engine, which I don't use much on my PHEV. I don't think the engine was happy with me flicking to Sport on a cold engine while accelerating!? Who knew.
Dealer swapped injectors, which part cleared problem. Then swapped plugs, which solved the problem. [swapping injectors has also cleared an oil level increase issue - smell fuel on dipstick]

1 month later P0340 and P0341 camshaft position circuit issue.
Dealer swapped both Intake and exhaust Camshaft position sensors. Issue solved.
I took my time going to the dealer for 2nd fix. I now have local dealer in Preston again.

I now try to use premium fuel with extra cleaners as I use around 2 gallons a month in winter and like the fuel to help the engine everytime it runs from cold when I press the loud peddle slightly harder than normal. I do around 500-750 miles per month mainly on EV.

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@BlueNev My thinking is the same, that they didn't put everything back together correctly.
"Also got multiple misfire code. After cold start in Sport mode doing 50mph... Rough engine, which I don't use much on my PHEV. I don't think the engine was happy with me flicking to Sport on a cold engine while accelerating!? Who knew." That's basically what happened when my CEL came on, except I was doing about 30 MPH.

I was wondering if dirt or contaminated Fuel was the issue, The Car was Manufactured in Feb 2019, and my dealer picked it up from another dealer about 85 miles away, when I went to see the car the fuel tank was below 1/4 and the odometer had 92 total miles. The dealer did sell me the car with a full fuel tank, which is still full with approx 720 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would not think the fuel is bad or the system is that dirty, just maybe the ICE is under used. Hyundai must have tests for the coils but these are with them out. Cheaper, time wise, to swap them all.

[Probably very irrelevant for Hyundai] Mazda went through a series of updates to ignition coils, mine were all dead at 19k miles. Poor ignition with early burnt out coils and bad ignition leads were one of the biggest problems for the RX-8's Rotary engine. No engine warning lights or codes! Just hesitation at cold. Before you knew it, the exhaust Cat had died and the important seals worn with too much unburnt fuel. I run D585 truck coils with a mini map with a longer dwell time and a cold rev limiter at 5k rpm. No more whizzing up to 9.6k rpm before the engine is warm. [that bit "running hard with a cold engine" is relevant.]

My other suggestion for PHEV's mainly driven on EV is to drive a few journeys in HEV mode each month so the ICE warms up fully and the whole system gets some use and you find any real issues with the ICE before the warrenty runs out. I set off in winter in HEV when the ICE wants to run for cabin heat or auto windscreen demist.

Edit to add warrenty warning...

Reactions: bluioniq

·
Registered
159 Posts
@BlueNev Thanks, I will use your advice for cold weather driving.
Dealer still has the car since Thursday, I will contact them tomorrow (Monday) to see if everything is OK
The suspense is killing me! What's going on with your car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The suspense is killing me! What's going on with your car?
Sorry, Nothing to Report. Called them on Monday (12/30/2019) they told me they ordered new coils and the car will be ready the next day. I did not call them on the the 31st, and yesterday they were closed for the holiday. I will call them later today.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry, Nothing to Report. I called them on Monday (12/30/2019) they told me they ordered new coils and the car will be ready the next day. I did not call them on the 31st, and yesterday they were closed for the holiday. I will call them later today.
Meanwhile, you have to spend more and more on fueling a gas hog loner! Nice! Thanks, Hyundai!
Maybe we should be reimbursed for that fuel cost or at least get an allowance for the duration our brand-new cars are back in the mechanic's bays getting work done that Quality Control should have caught! :cautious:
?

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
this is one issue we have seen Cylinder 3 Misfire

only time it has been seen but is still an option, the ports in the head not machined correctly

gives your symptoms, I believe they spotted it after taking the head off, but I suspect you could find it with a bore scope / small inspection camera if you knew what you were looking for

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meanwhile, you have to spend more and more on fueling a gas hog loner! Nice! Thanks, Hyundai!
Maybe we should be reimbursed for that fuel cost or at least get an allowance for the duration our brand-new cars are back in the mechanic's bays getting work done that Quality Control should have caught! :cautious:
?
Yeah I agree, They gave me a 2019 Sonata with 51 miles on it, My other car gets better gas mileage so I only used their car to get home and then to pick up my car. about 30 miles total.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally picked the car up this evening (1/02/2019), Mechanic was not available to talk to as he went home.
Paperwork says " Removed and replaced cylinder 1 ignition coil. Checked for updates found none. Road Tested car for 12 miles. Vehicle is performing as designed."
This is what I expected as the car ran fine when I dropped it off.
I will be more careful on really cold days, when shifting from electric to sports mode.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is one issue we have seen Cylinder 3 Misfire

only time it has been seen but is still an option, the ports in the head not machined correctly

gives your symptoms, I believe they spotted it after taking the head off, but I suspect you could find it with a bore scope / small inspection camera if you knew what you were looking for
I have seen that post, If the check engine light comes back on and it has the same code, then I will tell the mechanic about the possibility the port heads were not machined properly.
I personally wouldn't be able to inspect it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it was an issue that only showed up under load at high rpm as the engine couldn't get enough air / mixture in the cylinder, which seems similar to my understanding of your issue
OK Thanks, I will tell them if it happens again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am pretty sure these faulty vehicles qualify as a "lemon" as they are new and within warranty. I am doing an exhaustive search on "Lemon laws" in Ontario, Canada and would encourage everyone to do the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just returned from the dealership in Ontario Canada with my 2019 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid (14,500km). I was told the the warning light was for a Cylinder 1 misfire. They have ordered an ignition coil for replacement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts