Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, can anyone confirm if CarPlay in ioniq supports CarPlay over wifi and not usb? I know apple had allowed it to be wireless unsure if Hyundai took advantage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
short answer - no - which is pretty frustrating as voice operated Bluetooth doesn't work (for me) despite the quick reference manual saying that it should. So frustratingly it's either plug in your phone each time to get voice operated dialing or touchscreen dialing for Bluetooth..

·
Registered
69 Posts
To my knowledge, the only car so far to support wireless Carplay is the latest BMW model. All others, incl. Ioniq, requires a wired connection, for now. This will probably change quickly, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
short answer - no - which is pretty frustrating as voice operated Bluetooth doesn't work (for me) despite the quick reference manual saying that it should. So frustratingly it's either plug in your phone each time to get voice operated dialing or touchscreen dialing for Bluetooth..
I'm a total n00b here, but can you not just say "Hey Siri, call xxx"?

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,817 Posts
I'm a total n00b here, but can you not just say "Hey Siri, call xxx"?
Welcome to the forum @n1zz3r

The question of the thread is if Apple CarPlay (projecting Siri, navigation, audio and other select apps from your iPhone onto your car's screen) will work wirelessly in the Ioniq, which it will not.

As for using Siri over Bluetooth, this can only be done by physically touching your phone, which is illegal in most places while driving (Vancouver, BC police are especially rigid on this, btw). @JohnFleet was complaining (2½ years ago, so may be resaolved for him now) that the Ioniq's on-board voice recognition wasn't working for him, thus, in order to stay legal, his only options for placing a call were to use the on-screen number pad or have his phone plugged in from the outset to use Siri.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forum @n1zz3r

The question of the thread is if Apple CarPlay (projecting Siri, navigation, audio and other select apps from your iPhone onto your car's screen) will work wirelessly in the Ioniq, which it will not.

As for using Siri over Bluetooth, this can only be done by physically touching your phone, which is illegal in most places while driving (Vancouver, BC police are especially rigid on this, btw). @JohnFleet was complaining (2½ years ago, so may be resaolved for him now) that the Ioniq's on-board voice recognition wasn't working for him, thus, in order to stay legal, his only options for placing a call were to use the on-screen number pad or have his phone plugged in from the outset to use Siri.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!
You don’t have to touch your phone to invoke Siri.

Any iPhone from (I think) 2016 onwards can “summon” Siri by just saying “Hey Siri”.

I did it all the time in my previous vehicle (cheap aftermarket Kenwood Bluetooth unit).

Phone was in a windscreen dock, not physically connected by a cable.

I stress this wasn’t a CarPlay unit, just standard Bluetooth, but I used to just say “Hey Siri, do x/y/z”.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,817 Posts
You don’t have to touch your phone to invoke Siri.

Any iPhone from (I think) 2016 onwards can “summon” Siri by just saying “Hey Siri”.

I did it all the time in my previous vehicle (cheap aftermarket Kenwood Bluetooth unit).

Phone was in a windscreen dock, not physically connected by a cable.

I stress this wasn’t a CarPlay unit, just standard Bluetooth, but I used to just say “Hey Siri, do x/y/z”.
Oh right. That is an extra feature you have to enable on your phone I believe though. I had it on for a bit, but turned it off because sometimes Siri would activate when I said something that was mistaken for "Hey Siri". So not everyone likes having that feature enabled.

But thanks for the reminder of that feature.

Reactions: n1zz3r

·
Registered
409 Posts
To my knowledge, the only car so far to support wireless Carplay is the latest BMW model. All others, incl. Ioniq, requires a wired connection, for now. This will probably change quickly, though.
BMW also charges $80 a year subscription or $300 for 20 years subscription too. It's not transferrable either. I know because my free year subscription ran out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh right. That is an extra feature you have to enable on your phone I believe though. I had it on for a bit, but turned it off because sometimes Siri would activate when I said something that was mistaken for "Hey Siri". So not everyone likes having that feature enabled.

But thanks for the reminder of that feature.
you can enable the feature and then at times when you dont want siri to chime in just having the device face down or in your pocket will disable hey siri temporarily. So if your in your car face up will allow hey siri to let you make calls without touching your phone.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Limited
10 Posts
I have a CarPlay2Air dongle in my vehicle. Allows me to use CarPlay on my iPhone without the cord. It’s pretty pricey at 160 bucks, but it does work fairly well. Full functionality of steering wheel controls, can use Siri from the steering wheel. Provides navigation on the screen. Sending and receiving texts with Siri is clear and seamless. Streaming music is kind of iffy, depending on your data speed from your carrier. Phone calls also tend to have a delay in the audio.... that’s kind of frustrating. But overall, to get navigation and traffic into my limited model, not limited ultimate, I've been pretty happy with it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a CarPlay2Air dongle in my vehicle. Allows me to use CarPlay on my iPhone without the cord. It’s pretty pricey at 160 bucks, but it does work fairly well. Full functionality of steering wheel controls, can use Siri from the steering wheel. Provides navigation on the screen. Sending and receiving texts with Siri is clear and seamless. Streaming music is kind of iffy, depending on your data speed from your carrier. Phone calls also tend to have a delay in the audio.... that’s kind of frustrating. But overall, to get navigation and traffic into my limited model, not limited ultimate, I've been pretty happy with it!
Me too, and it works fine

·
Registered
31 Posts
The new VW Golf provides Wireless CarPlay as standard. (I know this because my shortlist is currently the Ioniq or the Golf.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Carplay2air dongle and I am very happy with it . It does take a few more seconds to connect but so much better than having to plug in my phone every time I go out. Yes, it is expensive (£120 ish) but I personally think it is well worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts