Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred RWD LR Lucid Blue
14 Posts
had exactly the same thing happen. Seems random but definitely a software issue as tried multiple Apple certified cables. Hyundai told me to try with their branded cable- don’t seem to have one though. Can’t be cable though as worked perfectly prior to the recent (February) update. Does anyone have an earlier firmware available and know if it’s possible to downgrade?
I can confirm it’s not software for me and that it’s pretty much confirmed a faulty USB port, so it might be the same for you. I’ve had this issue since picking up my car at the beginning of March (disconnected 3 times on my drive home from the dealership) and the dealership never updated my car to the November 2021 update. So I’ve had this issue even before the November 2021 update. Done all possible troubleshooting and now waiting on the replacement USB port part to arrive at my dealership. You might want our dealership to look into the same!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can confirm it’s not software for me and that it’s pretty much confirmed a faulty USB port, so it might be the same for you. I’ve had this issue since picking up my car at the beginning of March (disconnected 3 times on my drive home from the dealership) and the dealership never updated my car to the November 2021 update. So I’ve had this issue even before the November 2021 update. Done all possible troubleshooting and now waiting on the replacement USB port part to arrive at my dealership. You might want our dealership to look into the same!
Will try- thanks!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Today I thought I might too have a bad USB port as CarPlay failed on a trip (minute one of course). I ruled out lint, and I ruled out third party cable. Rebooted iPhone. Nope. Rebooted infotainment system (while driving), instant fix!

I had had intermittent issues for better part of a year that I had first assumed was lint, then the third party cable, and even a Lightning port issue as it usually occurred while moving the phone. Until today it was always fixed by replugging the phone back in. Crazy that an OS corruption lasted so long without an escalation. Everything else on the infotainment system continued to work normally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today I thought I might too have a bad USB port as CarPlay failed on a trip (minute one of course). I ruled out lint, and I ruled out third party cable. Rebooted iPhone. Nope. Rebooted infotainment system (while driving), instant fix!

I had had intermittent issues for better part of a year that I had first assumed was lint, then the third party cable, and even a Lightning port issue as it usually occurred while moving the phone. Until today it was always fixed by replugging the phone back in. Crazy that an OS corruption lasted so long without an escalation. Everything else on the infotainment system continued to work normally.
Dude your car has a faulty USB port. go to your dealer and stop dreading the next bump :).

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Dude your car has a faulty USB port. go to your dealer and stop dreading the next bump :).
Not sure if you are serious, but bumps never terminated CarPlay. Since a simple reboot of the infotainment changed CarPlay from completely broken to working fine, at least in my case the issue was not the USB port.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if you are serious, but bumps never terminated CarPlay. Since a simple reboot of the infotainment changed CarPlay from completely broken to working fine, at least in my case the issue was not the USB port.
Actually I was serious, given your statement that these disconnects are happening now over a year. I too had my ups & downs, thought I fixed it a few times with this or that SW update or reset or cable, only to find out I didn't.
Anyway if 'your' disconnects do not come back, wonderful, I happily take my words back.
But if they do..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried to go to my dealership over this and they told me they have never heard of this issue and couldn't fix it without being able to see it happen in real time. They drove it once around the block and since it didn't happen, they said they couldn't do anything. How did you get your dealership to fix the USB port?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried to go to my dealership over this and they told me they have never heard of this issue and couldn't fix it without being able to see it happen in real time. They drove it once around the block and since it didn't happen, they said they couldn't do anything. How did you get your dealership to fix the USB port?
I feel you..
Just so we are crystal clear, the problem I am talking about is random disconnects of Carplay/AA.
The randomicity is what drove us crazy here, it was sometimes happening only a few times in the first 10min of the ride and then stabilize, it could happen later in the ride, it sometimes did not happen at all (we had a theory here that warm weather improves the connectivity, which was quickly proven wrong). It sometimes happened when going over a bump but not all bumps and many times on smooth sections. Of course I ruled out cables (oh so many cables), phone type, phone SW, car's SW and phone malfunction (if I hear one more time the 'lint in phone socket' advise I'll hurt someone).
Given its finicky nature the problem is not always easy to reconstruct at will, and also does not leave traces in the log files.
So if that describes your problem, please tell your dealer that in Israel we have a group of i5 owners created specifically for the purpose of convincing our local dealer (Colmobil Corp, Hyundai official importer in Israel) of this problem. Colmobil did step up immediately and fully acknowledged the problem. I personally know of 4 cases where replacing the USB port (and internal cable, it's one part) immediately and decisively solved the disconnects. There are probably more successful cases that did not report back yet, plus some are still awaiting the part to arrive. BTW ask yourself why such a simple generic spare part is in such a shortage WW, maybe because many dealerships are ordering it?..
Worth mentioning it is a cheep part that is relatively easy to replace - they should replace it even if as a gesture, just to keep you happy.
Bottom line - don't take no for an answer.
Good luck!

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
87 Posts
I just noticed the problem because CarPlay would not connect after plugging in my iPhone. I then noticed that the phone wasn't staying connected to the power source either. The charging icon on the phone would turn green for a second then go off then back on repeatedly. Occasionally it does connect and stay connected but usually not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel you..
Just so we are crystal clear, the problem I am talking about is random disconnects of Carplay/AA.
The randomicity is what drove us crazy here, it was sometimes happening only a few times in the first 10min of the ride and then stabilize, it could happen later in the ride, it sometimes did not happen at all (we had a theory here that warm weather improves the connectivity, which was quickly proven wrong). It sometimes happened when going over a bump but not all bumps and many times on smooth sections. Of course I ruled out cables (oh so many cables), phone type, phone SW, car's SW and phone malfunction (if I hear one more time the 'lint in phone socket' advise I'll hurt someone).
Given its finicky nature the problem is not always easy to reconstruct at will, and also does not leave traces in the log files.
So if that describes your problem, please tell your dealer that in Israel we have a group of i5 owners created specifically for the purpose of convincing our local dealer (Colmobil Corp, Hyundai official importer in Israel) of this problem. Colmobil did step up immediately and fully acknowledged the problem. I personally know of 4 cases where replacing the USB port (and internal cable, it's one part) immediately and decisively solved the disconnects. There are probably more successful cases that did not report back yet, plus some are still awaiting the part to arrive. BTW ask yourself why such a simple generic spare part is in such a shortage WW, maybe because many dealerships are ordering it?..
Worth mentioning it is a cheep part that is relatively easy to replace - they should replace it even if as a gesture, just to keep you happy.
Bottom line - don't take no for an answer.
Good luck!
Thank you! This is exactly what happens to me—random disconnects that seemingly have no rhyme or reason, but are really frustrating and dangerous when I'm out driving around in the new city I live in. We actually had the opposite theory—that if it was too hot disconnects would happen more! We have tried three different phones, tried all the cables at our home + bought a new cable, and yes, tried cleaning the connections. We also tried to update the software but, of course, it always cuts out before it can be updated.

Thank you for all this, I'm going to show them this thread and demand a fix.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts