Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the Ioniq Cargo Cover. Here in the states is seems to be unobtainable. If anyone has a link to a Hyundai source that has these in inventory it would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
251 Posts
According to the U.S. brochure, the only way we Yanks can get a cargo cover for the Hybrid is to buy the Limited version with the Ultimate Package. But apparently the cover is part of the base kit on the Electric--which is frikken ridiculous. EVERYBODY needs a cargo cover! C'mon, Hyundai, get with it!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,943 Posts
the polite version of my reply is "that's rubbish"

insert a few expletives and you get my true thought on it,

its stupid not to include the cargo cover, it basically means you can't leave anything in the boot / trunk

let me guess as well Hyundai USA probably want over $100 for it as a spare / option?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't know if the cargo cover IS available as an add-on, but it sounds like jimm00re is having trouble finding one.

I hadn't really paid TOO much attention to it up to now, because the Ioniq Hybrid that I'm interested in buying, IF and WHEN I ever actually get to see and drive one and IF it lives up to my lofty expectations, is the Limited with the Ultimate Package, which is the version that has the cover.

But it is absolutely asinine for a company to sell a car that does not have a covered cargo area. Do they think people are gonna just stay in the car all the time if they have a lot of stuff to haul around in the back? WHAT are they thinking? I mean, yeah, big SUVs have open back areas, but a friggen hatchback NEEDS to have a way to conceal items behind the seats.

And then, to make today even better, I found out that a dealer I was counting on to have an Ioniq to test-drive "within a week" has been notified of a one-month delay.

This is REALLY getting tiresome!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The cargo cover for the Kia Niro has a shot at being the identical cargo cover, so you can check supply with them as well. Same $150 option as Hyundai. If the Niro one is the same, I would try buying it from an owner on the Niro forum for a discounted price. Of the five trim levels of the Niro, the top three include the cargo cover as part of the deal. I doubt very much I will get a top trim, but if I did, I'd love to offload the cargo cover for perhaps $50. I'd never ever use it myself and I think there are lots of other owners with the same preference. Just gets in the way of hauling stuff and it is very rare to see cars with broken windows these days in the US (where the OP is from). Seems radios are not worth anything anymore, and even window mounted GPS isn't worth the hassle of stealing.

Back in the 1980s, I did suffer a broken window in a Datsun in Oakland California for just a jacket. Wintertime and presumably a homeless person as jackets don't have any resale value. But since 2000, the broken glass near curbs or in parking lots you used to see all the time is rare now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Maybe so, but once someone has smashed their way into your vehicle to grab something that's in plain view from the outside--which happened to me many years ago in a company car that had no cover in the back area behind the seats--you never forget it, and the spectre of a repeat performance always looms large.

I'm sure you're right about the declining value of radios, but why take a chance. For example, I ALWAYS conceal my GPS unit, its windshield (okay, "windscreen") suction-cup mount and power cable in the console or glovebox whenever I leave the car, even if it's just for a few minutes to grab a bite while I'm on the road. And I remove it from view a block or so away BEFORE I arrive at my destination so no one there can see me storing it. I don't even like to leave my travel mug in the cupholder when the car is unattended.

Remember, it's not paranoia if everyone REALLY IS out to get you...

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think you could really use a 360 degree hidden dash cam that is connected online so you can ID everyone who approaches your car. I also suggest giving up your GPS and using a smartphone instead. Pretend you are living in 2017! A standalone GPS is just too much work for any possible benefit if you have to hide it before you can take two minutes to pee. I don't know if you still need a radar detector in West Texas (as long as you keep it to double digits I presume), but if you do, get a remote model you can integrate into your new Ioniq.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The trunk in the EV is likely shallower than the one in the hybrid, which probably necessitates the need for a cargo cover, but that initiates another line of questioning: what's in under the hood/bonnet at the FRONT of the EV? I was guessing maybe a shallow frunk with access to bits and pieces, but it's not. It's a full-on hood/bonnet with a powerplant of some kind filling in pretty much the entire space. I'll investigate in the daylight, I doubt there is much information on the web about what, exactly, is under that hood. There are TWO fat manuals for the infotainment system, but not one bit of information about the typical stuff, like how to change a flat, how to troubleshoot, where the fuses are, etc. Might just be me, missing a user manual...

Weird.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am looking for a cargo cover as well. Parts department is totally clueless in the Bay Area. Please PM me if you have a cargo cover for sale or post a link here if we need to order it from a London car dealership.

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to the U.S. brochure, the only way we Yanks can get a cargo cover for the Hybrid is to buy the Limited version with the Ultimate Package. But apparently the cover is part of the base kit on the Electric--which is frikken ridiculous. EVERYBODY needs a cargo cover! C'mon, Hyundai, get with it!!!
The (U.S.) dealership I bought my Ioniq from last week had a base model with cargo cover as an option. I wanted a cargo cover for my SEL, so they took it out of the base model, since they couldn't get a date when it would be available through Hyundai.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My sales guy said he would get one on the next Ioniq they get in stock and give it to me. It's common practice for them to just grab from other vehicles as some come with and others come without.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts