Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a cargo cover for my IONIQ 5 SEL. I just can't understand why Hyundai give it only with Limited edition?! Any thoughts of where can I find or order it?

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
852 Posts
I'm sure others will chip in and correct me, but as the car is so new, I suspect the only place you can go is the parts department of your Hyundai main dealer.

Hyundai UK couldn't even contemplate selling an i10 without one let alone a £40K - £50K i5. You are correct, this is a HMUSA corporate decision - very strange :unsure::unsure:

Personally, I would have declined delivery until one was in the car FOC, but then again I live in the UK :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
852 Posts
Why would anyone not need it? How else do you stop prying eyes seeing what's in the boot, or close off that space to stop noise reverberating in there?

Surely the answer is to petition Hyundai USA to reverse whatever their logic was that thought it wasn't acceptable to not have one in every car when they leave the factory, as I suspect the vast majority of the rest of the world does, and for them to give one to every owner that didn't get one as recompense for their corporate stupidity.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
34 Posts
I certainly think Hyundai should have included one with every Ioniq 5 along with a rear wiper, but we know Hyundai is going to supply either. Definitely a stupid decision for what we consider necessities. Perhaps 2023+ buyers will get them with their purchase. FYI: I've seen a couple of covers for sale, but shipping is a problem.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
824 Posts
Bonkers. I got one with my Ioniq 38.
Vauxhall/Opel Ampera = Chevy Volt Mk1 used to come with what I can only describe as a trampoline, a black cloth rectangle like a drying-up towel with 4 elastic loops at the corners which you hooked over 4 hooks in the side panels. A lot of owners hated that, and there's a steady aftermarket in retro-fitted parcel shelves from a Renault that fits nicely, plus a set of adapted hooks you can get to make it fit.
Sounds like Ioniq 5 needs a similar solution?
AmpyShelf DIY Project - Adding a Parcel Shelf to the...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bonkers. I got one with my Ioniq 38.
Vauxhall/Opel Ampera = Chevy Volt Mk1 used to come with what I can only describe as a trampoline, a black cloth rectangle like a drying-up towel with 4 elastic loops at the corners which you hooked over 4 hooks in the side panels. A lot of owners hated that, and there's a steady aftermarket in retro-fitted parcel shelves from a Renault that fits nicely, plus a set of adapted hooks you can get to make it fit.
Sounds like Ioniq 5 needs a similar solution?
AmpyShelf DIY Project - Adding a Parcel Shelf to the...
Sure. If you can make it for HI5 - that would be great!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Am starting to look into the possibility of this. First I need the measurements etc, then I need to find a shelf that fits, only then can I start making brackets. So don't hold your breath! :)

Edit 21 May: Planning to inspect an i5, take measurements, pics etc on Tuesday.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
34 Posts
I certainly think Hyundai should have included one with every Ioniq 5 along with a rear wiper, but we know Hyundai is going to supply either. Definitely a stupid decision for what we consider necessities. Perhaps 2023+ buyers will get them with their purchase. FYI: I've seen a couple of covers for sale, but shipping is a problem.
typo ... but we know Hyundai isn't going to supply either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have found the factory cargo cover at a local Hyundai dealership.

I called them only to find out they are on backorder, but parts guy told me a nearby dealer has one, so I called them.
Doug, the parts dept. guy down the road told me they had one in stock.
My brother-in-law was passing the dealer on his way home and stopped in to pick it up for me.
However, when he found Doug, he was told they didn't have it like he thought they did, but would have it in 2 days (that's today).
He was supposed to call my bil but so far no call and they are closing soon, so don't know what is going on.
I will give Doug a call tomorrow for an update. BTW... when I first asked Doug the price of the cover, he said something like $500.
I told him a neighboring dealer has them for $264 and he said okay, I can have it for that. I don't get it, but he told me it would
be $264, so time will tell.
I will update when I get some solid info.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Am starting to look into the possibility of this. First I need the measurements etc, then I need to find a shelf that fits, only then can I start making brackets. So don't hold your breath! :) ...
Ok, a kind guy with an Ioniq 5 let me have a good look at this. Due to the geometry of the rear window opening, it's not feasible to have a traditional lift-up style parcel shelf. It would have to be rather slim at the front to avoid the rear pillars, and when flat would leave huge gaps all over. So the answer will be to get the aftermarket roll-up clone, see this post: What's the Best Modification you've done so far?

Reactions: EV_Vida

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, a kind guy with an Ioniq 5 let me have a good look at this. Due to the geometry of the rear window opening, it's not feasible to have a traditional lift-up style parcel shelf. It would have to be rather slim at the front to avoid the rear pillars, and when flat would leave huge gaps all over. So the answer will be to get the aftermarket roll-up clone, see this post: What's the Best Modification you've done so far?
Soon! Making some minor changes to the trunk cover and I expect it out in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just realized this thread is in the wrong forum.
This is Ionic general - not Ioniq 5.
Maybe a mod could move it over where it could be found more easily?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts