Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a CPO 2019 Ioniq EV Limited to replace my Mitsubishi iMiEV. It doesn't charge at times, and for no apparent reason. The schedule timer in the screen is off, and when I plug it in I always wait for the percentage and hours to full numbers on the dash to confirm that it is indeed charging. I do not get an error message on the Blue Link app nor the car screens. For example, last night I plugged it in and it should have been to around 60% by morning but had only charged 2%. I use the 120V charger and on the slowest setting (I've read that is most ideal to preserve battery life). I understand that with that selection it doesn't charge very fast, but with simple math I have an idea of where the charge level should be at by morning. I know the outlet has enough amps because the Mitsubishi pulls more amps and I never had any issues with it. There are no other issues at all with the Ioniq, and like I said the car nor the app show any error messages. I live in central US where everyone drives big trucks and no one understands EVs, so I haven't reached out to the dealer yet.

Another question: is there a way to disengage the charger lock so it can be unplugged whenever?

Thank you!

·
Registered
429 Posts
The charger lock can only be disengaged when unlocking the doors or there is an auto unlock after charging is stopped option too (buttons on lower left dash) see below.

The best way to charge and be sure it charges everytime it's plugged in, is to click the "Charge Now" button under EV/Climate settings. My guess is you may have a schedule in there which may override the immediate charging to a scheduled time. I run into this all the time as I like to prewarm the car by schedule a lot while plugged in. You can also press the Button closest to the steering wheel, on the lower left dash (near your Charge port cover open button) to override schedules and "charge now". The slowest setting on 120V is very slow but you can charge any way you like. It's your choice. I am into the habit of looking at the Blue LEDS on the dash through the windshield to be sure it is charging after I plug it in to be sure it is, or checking through Blue Link. Blue link can start the charge as well after you pick the "start charge" option. Be sure the car doors are locked! That seems to be the key to nearly everything. Enjoy your '19 EV!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info! The schedules are both off; I prefer it to charge manually. I do check on the dash that it shows it's charging, and will make a habit of also checking the blue lights. I always keep the car in the garage and unlocked, so I will try always having it locked. Many thanks!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Also, Keeping the 120V charger on a low setting, is very very low rate. That's a 0.96 kWh charge rate (29 hours to charge full from empty). I do not think there is any harm in charging with the 120V at full capacity, 12 Amps, 120 Volts or 1.44 kWh rate (19.44 hours). I do not believe there will be any difference in battery life if charging at low (0.96 kWh) vs high (1.44 kWh). Think of all the additional driving you can do with 10 more hours! Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, Keeping the 120V charger on a low setting, is very very low rate. That's a 0.96 kWh charge rate (29 hours to charge full from empty). I do not think there is any harm in charging with the 120V at full capacity, 12 Amps, 120 Volts or 1.44 kWh rate (19.44 hours). I do not believe there will be any difference in battery life if charging at low (0.96 kWh) vs high (1.44 kWh). Think of all the additional driving you can do with 10 more hours! Enjoy!
Lol wow! I didn't realize it was that slow! The Mitsubishi has a switch on the charger to select either 8 or 12 amps. For the Ioniq, I had it charging from a 20% (give or take, don't recall exactly) state and it said 56 hours to full haha. I don't typically drive too much but it is definitely nice to have the faster option for when needed!

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
93 Posts
Don't think locking will make a difference. Mine charges fine unlocked. But it's definitely worth a try!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found out yesterday that a recent update Hyundai made to the BlueLink app has a big effect on if the car starts charging when you plug it in or not. I plugged my car in expecting it to start charging, but it didn't start. At first, I though the charger was broken, but then I hit Start Charge on the app, and it worked. Really annoying how Hyundai can't get this stupid little app to work well and intuitively.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
834 Posts
Locking or unlocking the doors shouldn't make any difference to whether the car charges or not. However, on the slowest L1 charge setting with the included charger, the charge rate may only be enough to keep the battery warmers going (if temps are low - around freezing or lower). Try a higher level.

Note that for the 2017 to 2019 model, Hyundia recommend L2 charging over L1 charging. The relative rate of charge even with L2 is very low, much lower than 1C. So you should be good to go.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
48 Posts
I found out yesterday that a recent update Hyundai made to the BlueLink app has a big effect on if the car starts charging when you plug it in or not. I plugged my car in expecting it to start charging, but it didn't start. At first, I though the charger was broken, but then I hit Start Charge on the app, and it worked. Really annoying how Hyundai can't get this stupid little app to work well and intuitively.
Tons of incessantly annoying crap on this car. Mine is a17 model.
After many ice hyundais before it, I was enthused to see they made an EV!
But if this sad attempt on electronic over-engineering is the new way...I'm done with their products. And moving on to an EV that was designed to be one. Not this half-assed afterthought..that bitches at you all the time and doesn't even know what a driver friendly electric car should be.

Rant over...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Tons of incessantly annoying crap on this car. Mine is a17 model.
After many ice hyundais before it, I was enthused to see they made an EV!
But if this sad attempt on electronic over-engineering is the new way...I'm done with their products. And moving on to an EV that was designed to be one. Not this half-assed afterthought..that bitches at you all the time and doesn't even know what a driver friendly electric car should be.

Rant over...
Looks like you are "bitching" more than your car!

·
Registered
218 Posts
When selecting the charging speed always choose the fastest possible when using AC charger. The lower the rate, the more you waste on power electronics and not charging.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
250 Posts
When selecting the charging speed always choose the fastest possible when using AC charger. The lower the rate, the more you waste on power electronics and not charging.
That isn't strictly true as I discovered recently on this forum when I couldn't work out why the battery wasn't charging as fast as expected on a 7kW charge post. If the charger is higher than 3.7kW, then the battery heaters apparently warm the battery to 20°C at something like 2kW at 0.5°C per minute. So you are effectively wasting energy heating the battery. It may make sense if you are going to immediately drive the car after the charge to benefit from a warmer battery, but otherwise it's a waste and a charge rate below 3.7kW should actually be more efficient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts