Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • Question of The Week Is LIVE In The Off-Topic Section!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I charge my car in my garage using the American 120v charger. Takes a while, and when it's complete I get a message saying "Vehicle charging is complete based on your settings." What settings is it taking about? It's either fully charged or it isn't, right? Just curious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can set the maximum charge amount in either the Bluelink app or your car. It will stop charging when the maximum setting is reached. I have the max for fast charging at 80%.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find that in the blue link app. Let's me set a schedule but not a percent charge. Don't know what menus in the car control charge % settings either. If anyone has more detailed info? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In BlueLink app select 3 horizontal stripe icon upper left, then EV service, and then Set charge limit. Here you can set the charge limit for both slow and fast charging.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting, I can't do that in my app. See pic.
Must be regional difference. Any Americans able to set charge percentage?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I charge my car in my garage using the American 120v charger. Takes a while, and when it's complete I get a message saying "Vehicle charging is complete based on your settings." What settings is it taking about? It's either fully charged or it isn't, right? Just curious.
The "settings" is about you choosing to be notified when the charge is complete. In US we don't have a percentage setting, just lifetime warranty. Your car will charge to 100% on Level 1 and 2. For fast charge, Level 3, it only charges up to 94%. Your "MyHyundai" account has some notification settings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Besides the BlueLink app I can also set the charge limits in my (Dutch) car under the EV menu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I charge my car in my garage using the American 120v charger. Takes a while, and when it's complete I get a message saying "Vehicle charging is complete based on your settings."
I get that message too (with my 2020 Kona EV) and would love to know what setting in the app will make it go away. I don't need to see it every night. But none of the Notifications in Settings seem to apply.

Must be regional difference. Any Americans able to set charge percentage?
Yes. It's under Charge Schedules. Scroll down to Charge Limit Settings. The info says "Charging will be terminated when the vehicle reaches the battery level chosen ..." I set it to 80%, and the app is showing 98%, plugged in, but not charging. So it seems to be working.

There is discussion online about whether to limit charging. The Kona EV Owner's Manual recommends long term storage at 100%. But from what I know of li-ion batteries, they are happier the closer they are to 50%, so I plan to leave my charge limit at 80% unless taking a long trip.

·
Super Moderator
1,573 Posts
Long-time storage is a totally different situation, with a different priority: avoid the situation that the battery is destroyed by complete draining. For that situation that priority is higher than the priority for daily usage situations: let the degradation of the battery be minimal. Therefore there are opposite guidelines for the two types of situations.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Long-time storage is a totally different situation, with a different priority: avoid the situation that the battery is destroyed by complete draining. For that situation that priority is higher than the priority for daily usage situations: let the degradation of the battery be minimal. Therefore there are opposite guidelines for the two types of situations.
The 100% charging is purely of Hyundais way to blame the customer of any drained out batteries. Now that one can set a charging limit, is should be easy to maintain a steady 50% when plugged in during the elongated storage and thus prevent unnecessary degradation.
Hyundai should get on the software train and start providing better software for their cars much like the Tesla and forget antiquated models of operation that stop development of pretty much all models that are more than one years old. I'm sure Hyundai has some PR-people checking out forums, facebook and such and the customers feedback is readily available, but no one has the authority or tools to do a thing about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get that message too (with my 2020 Kona EV) and would love to know what setting in the app will make it go away. I don't need to see it every night. But none of the Notifications in Settings seem to apply.

Yes. It's under Charge Schedules. Scroll down to Charge Limit Settings. The info says "Charging will be terminated when the vehicle reaches the battery level chosen ..." I set it to 80%, and the app is showing 98%, plugged in, but not charging. So it seems to be working.

There is discussion online about whether to limit charging. The Kona EV Owner's Manual recommends long term storage at 100%. But from what I know of li-ion batteries, they are happier the closer they are to 50%, so I plan to leave my charge limit at 80% unless taking a long trip.

The '17 - '19 american Ioniq EV doesn't have the charge limiter option in the car. The '20 Ioniq EV will. The option did show up in a recent app update but it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Toolworker, can you now program a charge % limit on the app(I am assuming bluelink app) Or is there a different app. I have an ioniq ev 2019 and cannot figure out how to set a limit% on charging as I would also like it to stop at 80% or sometimes 90% deoending on the trip ahead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Toolworker, can you now program a charge % limit on the app(I am assuming bluelink app) Or is there a different app. I have an ioniq ev 2019 and cannot figure out how to set a limit% on charging as I would also like it to stop at 80% or sometimes 90% deoending on the trip ahead.

As I said above for the 2019 U.S. Ioniq EV in the latest bluelink app update there is an option for charge limiting but when you try using it an error message pops up. No one has been able to get it to work so far.

Here is the thread that discusses this:

Update to Blue Link today. Now you can limit charge %

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toolworker, can you now program a charge % limit on the app(I am assuming bluelink app)
Yes, in the BlueLink app. But as I said, I have a 2020 Kona EV, not an Ioniq.

The '17 - '19 american Ioniq EV doesn't have the charge limiter option in the car. The '20 Ioniq EV will. The option did show up in a recent app update but it doesn't work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the 2020 Premium SE model and the charge limiter via Bluelink works fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts