Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Ioniq HSE for exactly a week and I'm really pleased with it. However, yesterday When trying to unlock the hatchback to put in a whole week's grocery supplies The mechanism had developed a mind of its own and decided not to unlock. Very frustrating to have to put everything in the back passenger area. A visit to the dealer and a mechanic tried to open it and it took him 4 attempts, including groping around from inside the rear passenger door. Several tries later, the hatchback decided to unlock on request but this was only in order to play with us as the next try proved fruitless. Finally, the car was booked in for attention in a week's time. Meanwhile I'm leaving granny in the boot.
Anyone else had similar problems?:)

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,866 Posts
Can't say as I have. Hopefully they can resolve it for you next week.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Nope, never. Sorry to hear about such. Hope they will fix it for you, soon.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Perhaps your latch lock spindle is dry. Happens with hot weather that it wont lock or unlock anymore. A few drops of bearing grease will solve the problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
That definitely won't be the problem in Scotland :D :D
nope, you scots will challenge the weather seals on the doors and hatch :) :) >:) >:)

the only difference between the seasons in Scotland are whether the rain is wet (rain), solid (hail) or flaky (snow) :) :) >:) >:)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Had this happen to me once. Turns out I hadn't shut the boot properly. Couldn't open it to fix the red warning sign on the dash until first pushed down to shut it.

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Registered
725 Posts
Had this happen to me once. Turns out I hadn't shut the boot properly. Couldn't open it to fix the red warning sign on the dash until first pushed down to shut it.
And beware as this may be a route to getting locked out of the car! I have walked up to the car, opened the boot, put stuff in the boot, shut the boot (like you not properly) then not been able to open it again. Keys were in my pocket but had they been dropped in the boot!!! Although from what you say pushing down hard on it may shut it and then allow it to open...I will try it if ever it happens to me again

·
Registered
776 Posts
If the latch lock spindle is not completely turned around catching the lock wing the sensor doesnt respond to the fob anymore. The only way to resolve this is pressing the latch down in the lock wing hard enough. Dropping your fob in the trunk is not an Ioniq deficiency but a martinhj deficiency. A lesson to learn from this is keeping your second fob in a secure place.
OMG keyless entry, a real pain in the ass.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If the latch lock spindle is not completely turned around catching the lock wing the sensor doesnt respond to the fob anymore. The only way to resolve this is pressing the latch down in the lock wing hard enough. Dropping your fob in the trunk is not an Ioniq deficiency but a martinhj deficiency. A lesson to learn from this is keeping your second fob in a secure place.
OMG keyless entry, a real pain in the ass.
Its not a martin deficiency as I always keep my key in my pocket! I never used the boot unlock only button on my old Focus as that was just an excuse to put the keys down in the boot and lock yourself out! I only use it oin the Ioniq because keyless entry lets me open the boot with my key in my pocket. So unless I sit myself in the boot, in which case Im not locked OUT I am OK :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Its not a martin deficiency as I always keep my key in my pocket! I never used the boot unlock only button on my old Focus as that was just an excuse to put the keys down in the boot and lock yourself out! I only use it oin the Ioniq because keyless entry lets me open the boot with my key in my pocket. So unless I sit myself in the boot, in which case Im not locked OUT I am OK :)
I have found if I open boot using keyless entry, and I don't close boot properly I can't close it or open it, I have to unlock car, open boot and then close it, then lock car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that Martinhj. In this case I don't have a red warning light and the latest is that the boot will not open at all. Initially it was simply an intermittent fault but now seems to be permanent - Quite sad really 'cos It means I can't get the biscuits to granny.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took it in,as arranged, on Monday and was told by the Hyundai tech guy that it was the actuator and everything was now O.K. All was well until today (Wednesday) when the tailgate was jammed shut again. Rang the dealer in Dumfries and got no reply so I took the car back to the dealer. This particular dealer has a strange arrangement for a service department: they don't seem to have one, instead you have to go into the Toyota area which I did and found no-one. After a while a couple of staff walked by and completely ignored me. This happened twice after which a man walked up and asked if everything was alright. Of course, I said that it wasn't and explained my problem. Eventually a young guy appeared and asked if he could help so I told him the story so far. His response was to tell me I should book the car in sometime next week. With a boot full of groceries and a tailgate that would neither open nor fully close I explained that the car should not be driven in the rain. (It's always pretty rainy in S.W. Scotland). I was then told to book it in for one day next week. At this point I put the keys on the desk and said that I would take a taxi and send him the bill. The response this time was to tell me that he was trying to help and that "throwing" the keys on the desk would get me nowhere. I'm usually quite patient in these situations but this kind of response pressed the wrong button. I insisted on something being done right away and he produced the Hyundai tech guy again. This time he said it wasn't the actuator but a spindle that was badly aligned. All this poor service and lack of interest in customers just makes me feel that I want to be rid of the car and Hyundai altogether. All very strange because everything was sweetness and light at sale time.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I took it in,as arranged, on Monday and was told by the Hyundai tech guy that it was the actuator and everything was now O.K. All was well until today (Wednesday) when the tailgate was jammed shut again. Rang the dealer in Dumfries and got no reply so I took the car back to the dealer. This particular dealer has a strange arrangement for a service department: they don't seem to have one, instead you have to go into the Toyota area which I did and found no-one. After a while a couple of staff walked by and completely ignored me. This happened twice after which a man walked up and asked if everything was alright. Of course, I said that it wasn't and explained my problem. Eventually a young guy appeared and asked if he could help so I told him the story so far. His response was to tell me I should book the car in sometime next week. With a boot full of groceries and a tailgate that would neither open nor fully close I explained that the car should not be driven in the rain. (It's always pretty rainy in S.W. Scotland). I was then told to book it in for one day next week. At this point I put the keys on the desk and said that I would take a taxi and send him the bill. The response this time was to tell me that he was trying to help and that "throwing" the keys on the desk would get me nowhere. I'm usually quite patient in these situations but this kind of response pressed the wrong button. I insisted on something being done right away and he produced the Hyundai tech guy again. This time he said it wasn't the actuator but a spindle that was badly aligned. All this poor service and lack of interest in customers just makes me feel that I want to be rid of the car and Hyundai altogether. All very strange because everything was sweetness and light at sale time.
This is very disappointing, I have a brilliant Dealer nothing is to much trouble.
might be worthwhile changing your dealer The one in Wokington seems to have a much better customer service rating, if its not to far away

·
Super Moderator
2,509 Posts
Thanks for that BDG. Workington is quite a good distance for me so I'm considering using the dealer in Ayr. I'll keep you posted.
May be the best option . Not all dealerships are the same , unfortunately . With my last car ( not Hyundai ) , I took it to the nearest recommended dealership twice and they were tossers . I took it to a nearer dealership after and they were much more satisfactory and , more to the point , honest .

·
Registered
776 Posts
The hatch lock spindle cant be aligned, only the catch wing on the barrier could be slightly disaligned with the spindle. Certainly thats not a day of work. Likely you can do it yourself. However, this dealer behaves way out of line. Good decision to find another one.
I would submit a complaint about these guys at HYUNDAI UK. They dont deserve a dealer accreditation. At HONDA they certainly would be kicked out.

Reactions: BDG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The hatch lock spindle cant be aligned, only the catch wing on the barrier could be slightly disaligned with the spindle. Certainly thats not a day of work. Likely you can do it yourself. However, this dealer behaves way out of line. Good decision to find another one.
I would submit a complaint about these guys at HYUNDAI UK. They dont deserve a dealer accreditation. At HONDA they certainly would be kicked out.
Thanks for that, Rene. Unfortunately, I'm no longer bendy and supple as I was as a teenager so I'll have difficulty doing it myself. I plan to visit the proposed new dealer tomorrow and see what he suggests. Incidentally, the tailgate is still very, very, stiff to open and I'm sure that it will fail again soon. Again, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Interesting. ON my current EV - an i3 - if I inadvertently leave my keys in the trunk and close the hatch the car alarms and won’t lock.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.