Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with hauling a canoe and subsequent range loss due to increased resistance? Thinking of going camping in May and want to make sure I have enough battery. I can stop along the way, but my last DCFC charge opportunity is 100km from the lake. So I’ll need at least 200km with a 60lb canoe strapped to the roof.

Driving a 2023 LR AWD

· Registered
2022, Teal Limited AWD
632 Posts
I just tried a forum search on canoe and google (ioniq 5, canoe). Off hand dod not see any results. specifically for canoes.

There are posts regarding kayaks on top. That may be similar on effect on range. I'd also look at people who have used roof boxes.

· Registered
51 Posts
Can you do a shorter drive prior to see impact on range?

does your camp site have any electric hookups? Might be a slower charge but could make the difference. Many US sites have 240v hook ups for campers, I don’t know what Canada is like

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m planning to test it out, but hoping to get some real-world experience for longer drives.

As for hookups, we’re doing an interior camping trip, so car will be left in a parking lot with no access to power for a week.

· Premium Member
435 Posts
While we love our EVs (we have three), there really still exist uses for which they are impractical, or at least delivering a less-than-optimum travel experience. Towing, roof racks, hitch racks and the like over long distances probably falls into that category. Unless your charging stations are well-placed (and hopefully operational) and you can deal with the extra time required, this might be where you’d consider renting/borrowing an ICE vehicle. It would be better suited to task, and not incur any of the EV penalties.

I know, I can’t believe I’m saying this. But I am.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 RWD 77.4kW
265 Posts
I'm pretty sure 200km will be more than doable. Looks like one of those travel boxes takes 20-30% out of the battery at highway speeds, so hopefully less at 80-90?
Even with 30% gone, you should still be able to do 250-300 in warmer weather - which is another question entirely, as I've seen both snow falling and 25C on May 24 weekends.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 2wd, lucid blue with towbar.
29 Posts
My HI5 RWD uses 30kWh/100km towing an 18' boat/trailer that weighs a tonne at 90kph. I can't imagine your canoe would be worse than that, even at 100. The weight is pretty much irrelevant, the drag is the main concern.
If you do a test drive on a flat road in no wind (or two way test) over a couple of km and check the consumption on the screen it'll give a good idea of how you'll go.

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited
323 Posts
Does the campground have an RV hookup? I drove to one last year, plugged in and had my car back to 80% before I went to bed :D
This is definitely worth looking into. When we got our Ioniq 5 I switched from using tent only sites to RV sites in the car camps that we go to. No need for the "full hookup" (with sanitary drain), just the partial hookup to get the electrical. Usually comes with a dedicated water tap too.

· Registered
188 Posts
This is definitely worth looking into. When we got our Ioniq 5 I switched from using tent only sites to RV sites in the car camps that we go to. No need for the "full hookup" (with sanitary drain), just the partial hookup to get the electrical. Usually comes with a dedicated water tap too.
And if you get a Mustart dual voltage travel charger and get the RV Hookup Plug, you can even get level 2 charging out of it.

· Registered
8 Posts
It's not the canoe weight but the wind resistance. My kevlar boats would exact a penalty just as much as a Royalite canoe. We bought a PHEV Rav4 specially due to roof-racking boats into rural areas without chargers for 70 or more miles in/out.

· Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
344 Posts
I haven't loaded our canoe on our I5 since we don't have roof racks for it. The tests of range loss with roof racks and cargo boxes would probably be very close to the impact of a canoe. The only way to partly offset the wind resistance loss is to avoid higher driving speeds. As in using an alternate route on secondary roads at 60 mph vs. 70-75 mph on an Interstate highway.

· Registered
50 Posts
Anyone have experience with hauling a canoe and subsequent range loss due to increased resistance? Thinking of going camping in May and want to make sure I have enough battery. I can stop along the way, but my last DCFC charge opportunity is 100km from the lake. So I’ll need at least 200km with a 60lb canoe strapped to the roof.

Driving a 2023 LR AWD
I have an Ioniq 38 KW which is a bit more aero the a 5, but when I put my kayak in the middle of the cross bars I see about a 5 to 10% drop range. Funny thing is that it is about the same with just the cross bars, its also a lot noisier with just the cross bars. The big range loss is when I tow my little square tear drop size trailer. I'm going to put a noise cone and in close the bottom on the tongue to see if I can get the air to flow over and under it better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts