Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium 38kWh
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently started leasing a 2021 Ioniq Electric and I cannot get it to charge.

1. Tried charging at a POD Point station and the light initially goes green to indicate it's ready to charge, but the car never updates to show anything on the dash and after 60 seconds it there's a clunk and the charging cable disconnects.
  2. Tried charging on the granny charger that came with the car, at 2 different houses and using all 3 AMP settings by pressing the button on the back of the Hyundai charger. In all cases, it the car symbol lights up blue on the Hyundai charger for 60 seconds, then there is a clunk and the cable disengages and the car symbol on the Hyundai charger turns green.
  3. Had a 7kW EO Mini Pro 2 installed at home and tried charging on this but it doesn't work. I plug in the cable and the EO Mini Pro 2 light goes from blue to solid green for 60 seconds, then the car makes a clunk sound, the charging cable disengages and the EO Mini Pro 2 light starts pulsing green, which means it's waiting for the connection from the car.
  4. I tried changing the charging settings in the car to Minimum, Reduced and Maximum but charging still didn't start.
  5. On all occasions, the charging cable clunks and locks in.
  6. The red charging cable light displays on the dash.
  7. After 60 seconds it clunks again and the charging cable is released.
  8. Bluelink app pushes a notification saying 'Charge completed as configured'.
  9. Tried adding a schedule and plug the cable in and then press the button in the car to ignore the schedule but it doesn't make a difference.
  10. Tried adding a schedule and waiting until that time for the charging to start, but it doesn't.
  11. Added the schedule via the Infotainment screen and removed it, then tried charging.
  12. Added the schedule via Bluelink and sent it to the car and then removed it and sent the updated schedule, then tried charging and it doesn't work. The Bluelink app sends a push notification saying Remote Charge Start Failed Check Status etc.
  13. Tried pulling the manual release in the boot but it makes no difference.
  14. In every scenario, the charging cable is engaged for 60 seconds and I can't pull it out, then it disengages when I hear the clunk and then I can pull the cable out.
  15. Changed the settings in the car so the cable is locked in always (it was set to only when charging) but that also makes no difference.
  16. If I use the granny charger and sit in the car whilst I have the charging cable in and press start/stop, then after a few minutes it displays the orange warning triangle and states 'Check Electric Vehicle System'. This doesn't seem to happen when I use a 7kW charger.

I've tried searching for all of these various issues, but can't find anyone who has had the same issue where the car seems to recognise the charging cable for exactly 60 seconds, then disengages it.

I have tried to contact my local dealer via phone, online chat and the Hyundai contact form but they've told me to await a call back as they are busy.

Does anyone have any other tips I could try in the meantime? Or any idea whether this is a common fault?

Kind regards,
Nate

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
323 Posts
Is a charge limit set on the car, ie 60%. And what % is the battery currently at?
You can change the charge limit in blue link, it's under EV service, set charge limit.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is a charge limit set on the car, ie 60%. And what % is the battery currently at?
You can change the charge limit in blue link, it's under EV service, set charge limit.
The default limit was set to 80% when I got the car. I changed it to 100% and back to 80% when I was tweaking settings.

My car is currently at 4% because I've been trying to get it into a local dealer for the past week and have had to use it in the meantime for work etc. So it can't be related to the limit, but thank you for taking time to respond. Hoping there's some other trick I can try, to bring it to life.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
537 Posts
Hello,

I recently started leasing a 2021 Ioniq Electric and I cannot get it to charge.

1. Tried charging at a POD Point station and the light initially goes green to indicate it's ready to charge, but the car never updates to show anything on the dash and after 60 seconds it there's a clunk and the charging cable disconnects.
  2. Tried charging on the granny charger that came with the car, at 2 different houses and using all 3 AMP settings by pressing the button on the back of the Hyundai charger. In all cases, it the car symbol lights up blue on the Hyundai charger for 60 seconds, then there is a clunk and the cable disengages and the car symbol on the Hyundai charger turns green.
  3. Had a 7kW EO Mini Pro 2 installed at home and tried charging on this but it doesn't work. I plug in the cable and the EO Mini Pro 2 light goes from blue to solid green for 60 seconds, then the car makes a clunk sound, the charging cable disengages and the EO Mini Pro 2 light starts pulsing green, which means it's waiting for the connection from the car.
  4. I tried changing the charging settings in the car to Minimum, Reduced and Maximum but charging still didn't start.
  5. On all occasions, the charging cable clunks and locks in.
  6. The red charging cable light displays on the dash.
  7. After 60 seconds it clunks again and the charging cable is released.
  8. Bluelink app pushes a notification saying 'Charge completed as configured'.
  9. Tried adding a schedule and plug the cable in and then press the button in the car to ignore the schedule but it doesn't make a difference.
  10. Tried adding a schedule and waiting until that time for the charging to start, but it doesn't.
  11. Added the schedule via the Infotainment screen and removed it, then tried charging.
  12. Added the schedule via Bluelink and sent it to the car and then removed it and sent the updated schedule, then tried charging and it doesn't work. The Bluelink app sends a push notification saying Remote Charge Start Failed Check Status etc.
  13. Tried pulling the manual release in the boot but it makes no difference.
  14. In every scenario, the charging cable is engaged for 60 seconds and I can't pull it out, then it disengages when I hear the clunk and then I can pull the cable out.
  15. Changed the settings in the car so the cable is locked in always (it was set to only when charging) but that also makes no difference.
  16. If I use the granny charger and sit in the car whilst I have the charging cable in and press start/stop, then after a few minutes it displays the orange warning triangle and states 'Check Electric Vehicle System'. This doesn't seem to happen when I use a 7kW charger.

I've tried searching for all of these various issues, but can't find anyone who has had the same issue where the car seems to recognise the charging cable for exactly 60 seconds, then disengages it.

I have tried to contact my local dealer via phone, online chat and the Hyundai contact form but they've told me to await a call back as they are busy.

Does anyone have any other tips I could try in the meantime? Or any idea whether this is a common fault?

Kind regards,
Nate
You are the customer, and you have a problem!

Was the car fully charged when you took delivery? If so, what have they done to lock you out of your car? If not, did they find this issue and ignore it?

Step 1) Some homework for this evening - Is your dealership part of a group, if so, get the phone number for head office.
Step 2) Ring your dealership in the morning - Calmly and politely tell them that unless the Service Manager calls you back within an hour, you will be ringing group head office to complain about their lack of interest in helping you. Don't negotiate extra time, make sure whoever you are leaving the message with has your number and be firm about the one hour window of opportunity.
Step 3) If you've not been called, or if they are trying to make you wait beyond lunchtime on Thursday to see your car, call head office saying you wish to register a complaint against your branch.

If your dealership is an independent, bypass service in the morning and demand to speak to the Dealer Principal.

Good luck.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
920 Posts
IONIQ's can use a charging schedule (which it sounds like you've already tried) but you can also set time of use limitations (TOU). TOU works independently from the charge schedule. Check to see if you have a TOU limitation set. If so, either open up the time allowed to charge, or disable it completely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like you've covered all bases with settings and testing across different chargers.

Not a common fault I've heard of with Ioniq, but I had something like this with another ev and turned out to be a charger fault which you've already covered off by trying multiple.

When you connect the charger, it does a number of checks first before starting the charge.

Something probably at fault and disconnecting.

Back to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your responses.

I checked the off-peak settings (I can't find anything about time of use/TOU) and the off-peak settings are dependant on the schedule being set (You cannot set the off-peak time, without first enabling the scheduled next departure time). Both are currently turned off in the menu so it can't be that.

The dealer called me and said they can't get me in until Monday 07th June. They also said because my battery is so low, I will need to call Hyundai Roadside Assistance and have them take my car to the dealer on Monday. So I will call them soon and see what they say.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
537 Posts
This really is unacceptable, how can they justify leaving the driver of a brand new car stranded like that!! Ring the Dealer Principal in the morning and ask them to send someone with their car for you to drive until the service department can get their act together (and no, you won't give their driver a lift back to the dealership). Also, I'd tell them to sort the recovery out, it's not your fault. Then follow up with an email to the DP & Service Manager.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you for your responses.

I checked the off-peak settings (I can't find anything about time of use/TOU) and the off-peak settings are dependant on the schedule being set (You cannot set the off-peak time, without first enabling the scheduled next departure time). Both are currently turned off in the menu so it can't be that.

The dealer called me and said they can't get me in until Monday 07th June. They also said because my battery is so low, I will need to call Hyundai Roadside Assistance and have them take my car to the dealer on Monday. So I will call them soon and see what they say.
You have to set depart time 09:00 then scheduled charging say 01:00 to 08:00. Then set off peak only. Set temperature. If you miss any one setting car won't charge over night. Even if you set it right mine sometime misses charge. If you need to override setting use the override button by charge flap open. Better to have Podpoint charger you can now set charge times via app. Good luck with your Ioniq

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
323 Posts
I suppose it isn't possible to try it on a rapid, bearing in mind you only have 4%, so unless you have one very close by it's not really an option
But a rapid may work, as it sounds like it might be an issue with the onboard charger.
As you are leasing, I'd also contact the lease company and get them to intervene or tell them you'll be rejecting the car and want a replacement. You are paying them for a service after all and they aren't providing it, so it is worth trying to argue for some reduction on the lease payments.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
323 Posts
The only other thing I can think of, which has caused me headaches, is make sure the granny charger is powered on before you insert it in the car's charge port.
On mine, if you plug the cable into the car without turning the granny charger on, it seems to time out so when you then turn the granny charger on a minute or so later, it doesn't always seem to recognise any power and fails to start charging.

Reactions: BillTheButcher

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
323 Posts
Last thing, you say you've pulled the manual cable release, have you pulled the correct one, there's 2 cables in the boot, one for the charge flap release, the other for the port release. The port release is in the centre near the boot latch, under the carpet. I find a good tug on that can reset things.

·
Registered
27 Posts
after pluggin in the granny charger, try holding in the schedule override button for 3 seconds (located beside the open charging flap button) , i know you have the peak time schedule switched off , but its worth a try anyway

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suppose it isn't possible to try it on a rapid, bearing in mind you only have 4%, so unless you have one very close by it's not really an option
But a rapid may work, as it sounds like it might be an issue with the onboard charger.
As you are leasing, I'd also contact the lease company and get them to intervene or tell them you'll be rejecting the car and want a replacement. You are paying them for a service after all and they aren't providing it, so it is worth trying to argue for some reduction on the lease payments.
I did think about going to a rapid charger, because it uses DC rather than AC doesn't it, so might work. But no, I don't have enough charge to make it to the nearest one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only other thing I can think of, which has caused me headaches, is make sure the granny charger is powered on before you insert it in the car's charge port.
On mine, if you plug the cable into the car without turning the granny charger on, it seems to time out so when you then turn the granny charger on a minute or so later, it doesn't always seem to recognise any power and fails to start charging.
Yes, it was definitely on first. The car symbol lights up green on the Hyundai granny charger, then I plug it into the car and the symbol turns blue for 60 seconds. Tried it various times on the different ampage settings and it's always on via the house socket, then I plug it into the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last thing, you say you've pulled the manual cable release, have you pulled the correct one, there's 2 cables in the boot, one for the charge flap release, the other for the port release. The port release is in the centre near the boot latch, under the carpet. I find a good tug on that can reset things.
Yes, definitely the correct cable. It has some writing on the piece of plastic on the end of the wire, stating what the cable does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after pluggin in the granny charger, try holding in the schedule override button for 3 seconds (located beside the open charging flap button) , i know you have the peak time schedule switched off , but its worth a try anyway
I've tried this every time. After it disconnects the cable after 60 seconds, I always take the plug out and put it back in, then try holding the schedule override button. But it never makes a sound, or displays a icon on the screen or anything. Just doesn't seem to do anything. But I've turned the schedule on and off, via the Bluelink app and via the Infotainment screen, and it definitely doesn't have a schedule anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm very curious to see how this turns out... please keep us informed.

Reactions: Ou Boet

·
Registered
27 Posts
you shouldnt be having that hassle , hopefully your dealer can sort it

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would like to suggest disconnecting the negative lead on the 12v battery for a few minutes. Upon reconnection this might boot something back into life.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts