Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation: driving on highway on CC with i-Pedal activated and want to slowdown and cancel CC. For example, police car in right lane.

There are no convenient way to do it:
  • Pressing 'CC off' means you cannot reactivate it usual way without pressing it again. You are in the 'special off' state where your regular CC re-activation does not work, and you have to unnecessary remember it.
  • Pressing 'CC cancel' is not convenient. You must find it and accurately press it straight down. 0.5 sec down a drain. Its ok for mute, but not for car slowdown action.
  • Pressing brake pedal will re-activate i-Pedal and force hard slowdown before right feet can compensate. Not safe.
  • Currently I am trying to learn to tap brake pedal using left feet while right feet pressing gas.

How it done in Bolt:
- Pressing Left paddle deactivates CC. Convenient and smart. Can we somehow ask Hyundai to implement this simple solution also?

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD 20" - Lucid Blue
298 Posts
I drive with left hand and barely use right hand.
So you're unhappy they didn't account for every possible bad driving habit in placing the controls?

Sorry, that was too snarky, but honestly, when you're driving one handed doesn't your right hand return to the same place when you put it back on the wheel? And the buttons are are in the same place they were when you set cruise.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
852 Posts
Situation: driving on highway on CC with i-Pedal activated and want to slowdown and cancel CC. For example, police car in right lane.
Surely the answer is not to drive at such a speed that you would attract the attention of the police if you did overtake them?

But you use your right hand to turn ACC on and vary the speed, hopefully from muscle memory and not looking, so why can't you hit a perfectly placed botton to turn it off, if that's what you want to do? Otherwise, look much further ahead, plan your change and use your thumb to lower your speed accordingly and just sail past the police, or whatever else needs you to slow down in one of the overtaking lanes before pulling back in to the right lane anyway.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
117 Posts
I-pedal on the highway is a bitch exactly because it violently breaks the car upon canceling cruise control. Go for Auto regeneration, it's much much better.
Whenever I cancel CC I just accelerate with the foot pedal slightly. The CC speed will blink the entire time and then hit the off button on the steering wheel and a smooth transition is usually felt. I tried it in I-pedal and it works then too. If you just cancel otherwise there is usually a rapid slow down from whatever regen setting you are using.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surely the answer is not to drive at such a speed that you would attract the attention of the police if you did overtake them?

But you use your right hand to turn ACC on and vary the speed, hopefully from muscle memory and not looking, so why can't you hit a perfectly placed botton to turn it off, if that's what you want to do? Otherwise, look much further ahead, plan your change and use your thumb to lower your speed accordingly and just sail past the police, or whatever else needs you to slow down in one of the overtaking lanes before pulling back in to the right lane anyway.
I am left-handed and lazy. And see no reason paddle cannot deactivate CC instead of giving meanless error message.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 CG LR RWD
53 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way but neither hyundai nor any other car company satisfy all users.

This seems to be neat picking things, I am guessing you have both hands and at least one leg, then moving your right hand to pause the CC and putting your foot on acceleration takes literally less than 0.0002 seconds.

On average 10 to 12% population is left handed, granting say same amount of people like to drive with left hand, to facilitate this specific convenience hyundai will be causing inconvenience to the rest 88 to 90% of people.

It's a new car to you, find a way to drive it, you can't be suggesting every single thing to manufacturer just because it's inconvenient to you, and Chevy Bolt has this feature doesn't mean all the people who drives bolt likes this feature.

·
Registered
904 Posts
"driving one-handed"....?

For full disclosure, I used to do this for many years. Of recent (~5 years), I started driving with both hands on the steering wheel (quarter-to-three position). It saved me once when driving on the motorway and a sudden gust of wind blew a traffic cone right into my path. I wouldn't have made the quick manoeuvre if I was driving with one hand.

(BTW, it wasn't a clever car, but I doubt that the Hyundai would have managed to avoid the traffic cone if I had it at the time and it was in auto-pilot)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts