Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is directed more towards the Canadians on the forum unfortunately. I wish I could get everyone's input but I know each country/state is different.

I am trying to figure out my comfort number for a cash purchase price of the Ioniq EV. A local dealership has posted the price breakdown (minus taxes and licencing) and I am curious to find out what other owners/pre-orders have been able to negotiate out.

The breakdown on the site is as follows

MSRP = $35,649 SE (no CCP)
Freight = $1,805
OMVIC = $10
Environmental Fee = $130
Admin Fee = $499

We had a bill of sale printed up when we put down a deposit, though at the time they had no information on the car other than the MSRP's and the breakdown was as follows

MSRP = $36,849 SE (with CCP)
DFI rain guard = $399
Dealer handling fee = $499
Freight = $1,805
Federal Air Con Tax = $100
Environmental Fee = $17.75
OMVIC = $10
Chemical Protection = $1,288

I'm confident we can get rid of the RFI rain guard and chemical protection, I think we can talk down the dealer fee (as close to zero would be ideal as I heard they still make a profit off the MSRP and you can negotiate with them to leave it on the bill and drop the final sale price so that way their bosses see on the invoice that the dealer fee was left on and it looks better on their sales).

We don't want to insult the dealer, but at the same time if we could save some money to put towards the purchase of winter tires and rims, or mats or both, or save money to use on a Level 2 charger, that would be more ideal.

Has anyone else had success in lower or dropping any fees?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This question is directed more towards the Canadians on the forum unfortunately. I wish I could get everyone's input but I know each country/state is different.

I am trying to figure out my comfort number for a cash purchase price of the Ioniq EV. A local dealership has posted the price breakdown (minus taxes and licencing) and I am curious to find out what other owners/pre-orders have been able to negotiate out.

The breakdown on the site is as follows

MSRP = $35,649 SE (no CCP)
Freight = $1,805
OMVIC = $10
Environmental Fee = $130
Admin Fee = $499

We had a bill of sale printed up when we put down a deposit, though at the time they had no information on the car other than the MSRP's and the breakdown was as follows

MSRP = $36,849 SE (with CCP)
DFI rain guard = $399
Dealer handling fee = $499
Freight = $1,805
Federal Air Con Tax = $100
Environmental Fee = $17.75
OMVIC = $10
Chemical Protection = $1,288

I'm confident we can get rid of the RFI rain guard and chemical protection, I think we can talk down the dealer fee (as close to zero would be ideal as I heard they still make a profit off the MSRP and you can negotiate with them to leave it on the bill and drop the final sale price so that way their bosses see on the invoice that the dealer fee was left on and it looks better on their sales).

We don't want to insult the dealer, but at the same time if we could save some money to put towards the purchase of winter tires and rims, or mats or both, or save money to use on a Level 2 charger, that would be more ideal.

Has anyone else had success in lower or dropping any fees?
I got the premium all-weather mats and trunk lip protector for $1.00 each plus $1,000.00 off for the Ioniq Electric Limited. No admin fee.
I was the first in my town (small town) to buy an Ioniq. The admin fee is a rip off, try another dealer.
Enjoy it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I negotiated $42,100 all-in on a SE w/CCP. It took dealerships competing against each other to get it. I didn't have any upgrades like mats, 3M coating etc.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I negotiated $42,100 all-in on a SE w/CCP. It took dealerships competing against each other to get it. I didn't have any upgrades like mats, 3M coating etc.
Really? Does that include taxes? Because would that not mean the dealer only made $310 in around there on the sale?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Doesn't the Dealing Invoice Pricing event play into things now? Shouldn't they be offering less than MSRP? Do people have to special order in the Ioniq wherever you are? None that I've seen in this province's dealers at all.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't the Dealing Invoice Pricing event play into things now? Shouldn't they be offering less than MSRP?
You would think so, but nope. I've actually been negotiating with dealers and when they come to me with the first invoice I have to stop from laughing, it's got thousands in unnecessary fees/markups, plus the MSRP is what it has been for the past month.

I've heard the purchase price for the dealer is $35,108 from unhaggle.com as to how true that is I don't know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You would think so, but nope. I've actually been negotiating with dealers and when they come to me with the first invoice I have to stop from laughing, it's got thousands in unnecessary fees/markups, plus the MSRP is what it has been for the past month.

I've heard the purchase price for the dealer is $35,108 from unhaggle.com as to how true that is I don't know.
Yeah. I now know that that one fee they charged me when I last bought a car is actually illegal for them to charge.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. I now know that that one fee they charged me when I last bought a car is actually illegal for them to charge.
Do you mind me asking what that fee was?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Other than freight, A/C tax, environmental fee and OMVIC the other fee are not mandatory. The admin fee might be for glass etching. I told my dealer no etching and I won't pay a penny if they do it.

There is a post that someone get the vehicle at dealer invoice + 0.6%, in Ontario, I think. So there is room to negotiate. I saw "dealer invoice" pricing on pretty much every model in the showroom so the dealership is eager to move. Personally I think dealer invoice plus 2% is a reasonable offer. Other dealer options like tinting and clear 3M protective coating can be done by third party at half the price or less. If you still want them to do it try to have them match the price of the other installer. Some homework up front will save a lot. Dealers' options are where they make the most out of you. Same for extended warranty.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just told by a dealer that negotiating the price with the car not in the lot is illegal, does anyone know anything about this? it sounds very off to me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. I negotiated my price, and the car is yet to be built.
Doesn't necessarily mean it's legal to do.

Does anyone know is there any documentation online supporting this?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Doesn't necessarily mean it's legal to do.

Does anyone know is there any documentation online supporting this?
I would ask the dealer that told you to show you the relevant legislation they are referring to, if they are telling you BS they will suddenly either backtrack or try and put the responsibility on you to find it

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would ask the dealer that told you to show you the relevant legislation they are referring to, if they are telling you BS they will suddenly either backtrack or try and put the responsibility on you to find it
In the end we decided to just go with a different dealer. The sales rep was great with us, we really liked him, but his sales manager didn't sit to well with us.

Reactions: MatthewFabb

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
How can negotiating the price with dealer/supplier can be illegal?
My question exactly. unhaggle and carcostcanada state the invoice price for the dealer is $35,108 and the MSRP is $36,849 so there is a $1,741 profit for the dealer right off the bat before any additional fees.

Don't get me wrong the dealer we were working with was a great guy, one of the best and most honest dealers we have met, he told us the other dealer was giving us a great price and just to research them to be on the safe side, otherwise he fully understood a $1,500+ savings is nothing to ignore. He respected that and ensured if we needed anything going forward he is open to us contacting him.

Frankly his sales manager ruined the deal for him, not just because they refuse to negotiate the sticker price, but because of all the hot air he was spewing. Frankly I'm not one to argue as when I have a backup I just like to sit back and watch people make stuff up. I called him out on multiple issues with the stuff he was saying and I don't think he liked it too much and I am sure that also contributed to him refusing to budge.

But I did want to confirm the negotiating issue they claimed for cars that are not on the lot yet as that's a fairly bold claim to make which he actually accuses other dealerships of working illegally and he even claimed I breached the contract which funny enough was all in my wifes name and information, I didn't even sign anything.

Once this thing is sorted out and we lock in a purchase order with the other dealership I might write up the whole situation (excluding names of course) as it's actually quite comical.

Two funny things have occurred during negotiations with this car.
1. I was asked how many cylinders the Ioniq EV has to write up a purchase order.
2. Another dealer asked if they could sweeten the deal by offering me free oil changes... lol

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
snip....

Once this thing is sorted out and we lock in a purchase order with the other dealership I might write up the whole situation (excluding names of course) as it's actually quite comical.

1. I was asked how many cylinders the Ioniq EV has to write up a purchase order.
2. Another dealer asked if they could sweeten the deal by offering me free oil changes... lol
these guys shouldn't even be selling baked beans at the local corner shop

as good as an IT guy suggesting emailing users to let them know the mail server is down :) :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was just told by a dealer that negotiating the price with the car not in the lot is illegal, does anyone know anything about this? it sounds very off to me.
That's just BS...

My current car is an Elantra and I use CarCostCanada and pay Invoice+$100 + 1st year service free and the car is not in the dealership lot. They have to look for the specific color/trim I want and have to ship it in from Montreal for me. The car has 68km on it so they didn't have someone drive it to Ottawa.

Car buying 101. If you are not willing to walk away, they win!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
:D That is funny.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts