Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I downloaded this product brochure on June 30, so after 2022s were shipping with preconditioning but presumably it refers to all 2022s. It specifically mentions a 'battery heating system' for all Preferreds and up. There are no two ways about it: either the battery heating system meant to be used with winter mode doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough for real preconditioning (possible but unlikely), or they just don't want to give us a software update.
And why would they not want to give you a software update if that is all that is required? Don't tell me that you are subscribing to a conspiracy theory?

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
242 Posts
And why would they not want to give you a software update if that is all that is required? Don't tell me that you are subscribing to a conspiracy theory?
Unclear, but if you flip the question, what did all Scandanavian I5s have from launch that Canadians and American I5s weren't delivered with until June 2022? I highly doubt there was a big difference in hardware as far as battery heating is concerned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For all the lazy people, me included, post the Hyundai email and maybe a generic email body. That way all the emails go to the same department and we day relatively the same thing.

Being a corporation, they will follow the option the costs the least. Im assuming the only difference between Norwegian cars and Canadian cars is the consumer protection laws. Negative publicity could change their mind, but will a small (relatively) number of 2022 owners be able to change their mind? Hopefully.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For all the lazy people, me included, post the Hyundai email and maybe a generic email body. That way all the emails go to the same department and we day relatively the same thing.

Being a corporation, they will follow the option the costs the least. Im assuming the only difference between Norwegian cars and Canadian cars is the consumer protection laws. Negative publicity could change their mind, but will a small (relatively) number of 2022 owners be able to change their mind? Hopefully.
Here's some text based on what I sent.

To: [email protected]

Dear Hyundai Canada Customer Relations staff,
I'm disappointed to hear that Hyundai Canada is not currently planning to offer battery preconditioning to all 2022 Ioniq 5s on the basis of "technical limitations". If 2022 models have a functioning Winter Mode and can heat when plugged into a DC charger, it seems that they should be technically capable of pre-heating as well. Can you explain why that's not the case?

Furthermore, 2021/2022 Ioniq 5 owners in Norway, Iceland, Finland and Denmark have been offered a software update to enable battery preconditioning. Why can't Hyundai Canada offer the same?

Battery preconditioning is a critical feature for Canadian winters and I hope Hyundai Canada does the right thing and offers Canadian Ioniq 5 owners an update to enable it.
Thank you for the information,
xxx

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
325 Posts
Here is a picture of the process in Germany for anyone who might know a service tech at Hyundai. The poster said it took 50 minutes and that the BMS and VCU get software updates.
Thanks. Guess it comes down to if our Canadian MY2022 and the German MY2022 have the same BMS and VCU.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just sent this email to Emma Jarratt at Electric Autonomy Canada (she's an EV owner who covers lots of EV topics so I didn't break down the details):
Hi Emma,
I'm contacting you to see if you're at all interested in covering this story for Electric Autonomy Canada. In a bizarre turn of events, Hyundai Canada is telling Ioniq 5 owners that battery preconditioning will not be possible on 2022 Ioniq 5s because of technical limitations, while 2021/2022 Ioniq 5s that are nearly identical in Norway, Iceland, Finland, Denmark, and Germany (so far) have been offered a software update to enable battery preconditioning. All but about 10 compliance-car-trim 2022 Ioniq 5s in Canada were shipped with a 'battery heating system' (which I read as a PTC heater) and a heat pump, as well as a 'Winter Mode' which should heat the battery after plugging in to a DC charger. It's very difficult to imagine scenarios where Canadian cars equipped for 'Winter Mode' are missing hardware that Scandinavian and German cars do have.

Meanwhile, new Ioniq 5s (2022 models built in June or later, as well as all 2023 models) are being shipped with battery preconditioning. If there are indeed no hardware limitations that would prevent battery preconditioning, it seems like a huge strategic mistake for Hyundai to decline to offer a software update to owners of 2022 Ioniq 5s that is strictly necessary for long travel in Canadian winters. This is the fastest-charging EV available for under $60k by a long shot (although 2023 ID.4s may come close), but without battery preconditioning, the first wave of Ioniq 5s will only offer those speeds for a few months out of the year. It's unclear why Hyundai would leave its early adopter customers out in the cold, and despite many of us responding to emails like this from Hyundai customer relations, we've been unable to get answers. My hope is that Hyundai Canada will be more forthcoming in response to a journalist's inquiry and you'll be able to unravel the mystery!

If you are interested in the story, I can send you all of the information I've gathered on the topic.
Thanks for your time,
Tyler

·
Registered
50 Posts
ALL 2022 models in Norway are getting the update free. Norway started taking delivery prior to Canada. I suspect that all Canadian 2022 cars have the required hardware but Hyundai don't want to do the update. Hyundai Canada should explain properly what the issue is, which would stop this speculation.
Well myhyundai app show battery preconditioning off. Guess it would show nothing or not available if there was really a limitation. I wish they would update while they install my winter tires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It looks to me that most IONIQ 5 owners have no idea how much of a big deal this battery pre-heating is. In three months time there will be a lot more annoyed 2022 IONIQ 5 owners, for now, most people are blissfully ignorant. It looks like Hyundai Canada have taken the commercial decision not to do the upgrade for free and state there is a technical limitation, which is most likely BS.

As well as the email and feedback I sent to Hyundai Canada, I sent an email to my dealer as well explaining the problem and asked him to pass this on to Hyundai Canada. The salesmen sounded genuinely supportive and said he would see what he could do.

Regarding the app I expect the app is the same for both the 2022 and 2023 IONIQ 5, which is why the pre-conditioning is there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any large EV YouTuber should be emailed as well. I mailed Out of Spec reviews. They have an Ioniq 5 in the stables so i know it would be relevant to them. Any media pressure on Hyundai would do more then a bunch of ev nerds like us.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any large EV YouTuber should be emailed as well. I mailed Out of Spec reviews. They have an Ioniq 5 in the stables so i know it would be relevant to them. Any media pressure on Hyundai would do more then a bunch of ev nerds like us.
Yeah, good point. @Corbin you sounded slightly disappointed but didn't seem inclined to fight this. Did the engineers give you any more detail on why the US wouldn't get preconditioning?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5, Preferred Long Range RWD, 77.4 kWH, Phantom Black
321 Posts
Here's some text based on what I sent.

To: [email protected]

Dear Hyundai Canada Customer Relations staff,
I'm disappointed to hear that Hyundai Canada is not currently planning to offer battery preconditioning to all 2022 Ioniq 5s on the basis of "technical limitations". If 2022 models have a functioning Winter Mode and can heat when plugged into a DC charger, it seems that they should be technically capable of pre-heating as well. Can you explain why that's not the case?

Furthermore, 2021/2022 Ioniq 5 owners in Norway, Iceland, Finland and Denmark have been offered a software update to enable battery preconditioning. Why can't Hyundai Canada offer the same?

Battery preconditioning is a critical feature for Canadian winters and I hope Hyundai Canada does the right thing and offers Canadian Ioniq 5 owners an update to enable it.
Thank you for the information,
xxx
I have sent off email, so far only got email indicating a case number. See if any further response.

·
Registered
2022 White Ioniq 5 SEL
149 Posts
I will also write Hyundai USA and encourage others to do the same. They can include the update with our first service.
I have written to the Hyundai VP of U.S. Consumer Affairs and received a call back, which unfortunately I missed. Hopefully I'll speak with them next week and provide an update to this post.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have written to the Hyundai VP of U.S. Consumer Affairs and received a call back, which unfortunately I missed. Hopefully I'll speak with them next week and provide an update to this post.
Good call on head of consumer affairs. I didn't get a bounce for Michel Poirier, "Director of Customer Experience and Aftersales at Hyundai Auto Canada Corp".

I sent this to [email protected].

Hi Mr. Poirier,
I own a 2022 Ioniq 5 and recently wrote into customer relations to inquire about battery preconditioning, which is a critical feature for Canadian winters. I would to ask you to reconsider the decision Rich reported to me in the forwarded email below. The decision to not offer preconditioning to those of us who bought the first model year of this car seems like a strategic error. Owners in Canada are aware that owners in Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland and Germany so have have been offered a software update to enable battery preconditioning, and as all but the few Essential models sold came with a 'battery heating system', it appears that we have the hardware for it.
Most 2022 Ioniq 5 owners reserved before we even knew the price. We'll happily look over minor awkwardness in the first model year of a new car. But refusing to offer us critical feature that appears to be available as a software update sends a message to future buyers: don't buy the first model year of a Hyundai EV because Hyundai Canada won't offer you critical software updates.
I hope you'll consult with engineers and reconsider this decision. I have never owned a Hyundai before, but I was extremely happy with this car until I got the email below. I was planning to wait until an e-GMP truck was available for our second EV, but this decision has me considering whether I want to own another Hyundai. Offering a software update for a small fee would buy a lot of loyalty from customers who were willing to reserve a car before pricing was released. Thank you for your time.
Tyler

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could you share the email for that VP please? It's been a long time since I've tried an executive email carpet bomb, but this seems like as good an issue as any for it. I really want to see this update in the US since I took delivery of my car in May and just missed the preconditioning boat.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts