Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: I posted this on reddit. Re-posting here to try to get to as many 2022 Canadian owners as possible

Wanted to put a call out for all Canadian owners of the 2022 Ioniq that care about the lack of the battery pre-conditioning update coming to Canada to start making noise by emailing Hyundai and their dealerships or even EV news/youtube places in the attempt to highlight to Hyundai how much of an issue this is.

In an attempt to explain why this is a problem I created the below FAQ. If you read this and feel inclined I ask that you get involved with escalating the complaints so they hopefully we will eventually be heard.

I believe all of the below is generally correct, at least in a general basis - please don't spend energy pointing out small typo's or incorrection's when that energy can go towards complaining to Hyundai instead :)

What is battery pre-conditioning?

Battery pre-conditioning is a feature that almost all modern EV's have to warm the battery so that its ready to fast-charge. Without warming, in colder months (think below 20 degrees celsius) the car will take much longer to charge - typically at least twice to three times longer.

Typically conditioning is enabled through the Nav system, such that when you navigate to a EV fast charger the car will automatically start warming the battery before you get there so thats its prepped and ready to charge as fast as possible

Why do I care?

Without it the time to fast charge in winter will take 2-3 times as long, and cost 2-3 times as much! (in Canada we get charged per minute not per kwh).

We dont have many fast chargers in Canada, the slower we charge the longer the queues and the worse it is for everyone. The 18 minute 10-90% charging times of our cars was a highly publicized and is a highly sort after feature. Being not able to use it for 4-5 months (or more!) of the year frankly sucks

Don't we already have this?

You have the hardware but not the software. All Canadian car's come with a battery heater but no mechanism to turn it on in advance of getting to a charger. It will turn on when you start to fast charge but it's basically too late by then to make any difference in charging times.

You also have something called "winter mode" but this has been proven to do basically nothing to help DC fast charging

Sure, but why would Hyundai develop this for us?

Actually they already have. The hard work is done, the feature is already developed. 2023 models are getting it as default and in Europe (Norway etc) the software update is already being offered to upgrade 2022 cars.

So why is Hyundai Canada not rolling it out then?

Good question, in the US this seems to be a cost decision as it may take an hour to update the software and dealers apparently do not want to support their customers! The response from Hyundai Canada that i received is:

"due to technical limitations, the 2022 IONIQ 5 models will not be able to receive the update to enable battery preconditioning"

With zero details on what the technical limitation is - I have asked and will update this if I ever hear back but it seems pretty clear that their are no hardware limitations to allow this feature to be rolled out given their is no difference between European cars and Canadian ones. Therefore it must be similar to the US in that dealers or Hyundai themselves simply are unwilling to do so.

How can I help?

Make a fuss! start complaining, sending emails etc. Even if you all spend 15-20 minutes of your time crafting a email it will be our best shot of showing Hyundai that this is unfair to its customer base.

Hyundai launched the Ioniq 5 as one of the first cars behind their "Ioniq" EV brand - they need to support their customers and show that they are willing to add features of importance to its EV's across all countries they sell them in.

Suggestions of places to complain to

1. Hyundai Canada directly - here Help Centre | Hyundai Canada
  2. Your local dealership and/or dealership contact, where you paid for the car.
  3. Relevant EV news outlets.
  4. Anything else you can think of!

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
316 Posts
Note: I posted this on reddit. Re-posting here to try to get to as many 2022 Canadian owners as possible

Wanted to put a call out for all Canadian owners of the 2022 Ioniq that care about the lack of the battery pre-conditioning update coming to Canada to start making noise by emailing Hyundai and their dealerships or even EV news/youtube places in the attempt to highlight to Hyundai how much of an issue this is.

In an attempt to explain why this is a problem I created the below FAQ. If you read this and feel inclined I ask that you get involved with escalating the complaints so they hopefully we will eventually be heard.

I believe all of the below is generally correct, at least in a general basis - please don't spend energy pointing out small typo's or incorrection's when that energy can go towards complaining to Hyundai instead :)

Battery pre-conditioning is a feature that almost all modern EV's have to warm the battery so that its ready to fast-charge. Without warming, in colder months (think below 20 degrees celsius) the car will take much longer to charge - typically at least twice to three times longer.

Typically conditioning is enabled through the Nav system, such that when you navigate to a EV fast charger the car will automatically start warming the battery before you get there so thats its prepped and ready to charge as fast as possible

Why do I care?

Without it the time to fast charge in winter will take 2-3 times as long, and cost 2-3 times as much! (in Canada we get charged per minute not per kwh).

We dont have many fast chargers in Canada, the slower we charge the longer the queues and the worse it is for everyone. The 18 minute 10-90% charging times of our cars was a highly publicized and is a highly sort after feature. Being not able to use it for 4-5 months (or more!) of the year frankly sucks

You have the hardware but not the software. All Canadian car's come with a battery heater but no mechanism to turn it on in advance of getting to a charger. It will turn on when you start to fast charge but it's basically too late by then to make any difference in charging times.

You also have something called "winter mode" but this has been proven to do basically nothing to help DC fast charging

Actually they already have. The hard work is done, the feature is already developed. 2023 models are getting it as default and in Europe (Norway etc) the software update is already being offered to upgrade 2022 cars.

Good question, in the US this seems to be a cost decision as it may take an hour to update the software and dealers apparently do not want to support their customers! The response from Hyundai Canada that i received is:

"due to technical limitations, the 2022 IONIQ 5 models will not be able to receive the update to enable battery preconditioning"

With zero details on what the technical limitation is - I have asked and will update this if I ever hear back but it seems pretty clear that their are no hardware limitations to allow this feature to be rolled out given their is no difference between European cars and Canadian ones. Therefore it must be similar to the US in that dealers or Hyundai themselves simply are unwilling to do so.

How can I help?

Make a fuss! start complaining, sending emails etc. Even if you all spend 15-20 minutes of your time crafting a email it will be our best shot of showing Hyundai that this is unfair to its customer base.

Hyundai launched the Ioniq 5 as one of the first cars behind their "Ioniq" EV brand - they need to support their customers and show that they are willing to add features of importance to its EV's across all countries they sell them in.

Good idea. I left a message with the Customer Experience link last week. Haven’t heard back yet. I also emailed my sales Team at Winnipeg Hyundai just now. Software updates are easy to do. We all ready had one for the drive selector.

Reactions: nexxuscomputers

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wrote to both of CBC's consumer affairs outlets, Go Public at [email protected] and Marketplace at [email protected] Here is my full text:

Hello,
Many Canadian buyers of the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric car are upset that Hyundai is not willing to update our cars with battery pre-conditioning so that we can charge at fast speeds even in the wintertime. Owners from Facebook and Ioniq 5 online forums have written Hyundai Canada's customer relations and have been told that because of technical limitations only the 2023 models will get the feature. However, Canadians have the same cars as Norway and Hyundai Norway have already said all 2022 models can be updated immediately. Here is a link to the Hyundai Norway announcement Hyundai Norway marked (loopify.com) The following is the English translation:

Battery preheating is now being launched for all IONIQ 5

Hyundai launches new functionality - now all IONIQ 5 can get battery preheating
Preheating of the battery pack is now being launched as an update to the IONIQ 5 with model year 2022. That is, all IONIQ 5 that have so far been delivered in Norway. The functionality is identical to the battery preheating found in the IONIQ 5 model year 2023. Hyundai has been working on the solution for several months, and the update comes as a result of us listening to feedback from customers who wanted better charging speeds in cold weather.

We are therefore very pleased to be able to introduce this product news to you as an IONIQ 5 owner.

How to get the update

The update required to get battery pre-heating must be done at an authorized dealer, and is not related to the OTA system. You can choose for yourself whether you want to have the update carried out free of charge during regular service, or whether you want to book a workshop appointment for updating outside of service with a suggested price of NOK 1,590.

Although updating is a product innovation for the IONIQ 5, the software itself is free.

The update is already available at Hyundai dealers.

Since that press release Hyundai Finland has also announced they will do the update free of charge. Since Canada is also a cold country we would greatly benefit from this update. The following is a FAQ about the issue that a Redditor posted. Please help us fight to change this policy or else Hyundai has literally left us early adopters out in the cold.

Battery pre-conditioning is a feature that almost all modern EV's have to warm the battery so that it's ready to fast-charge. Without warming, in colder months the car will take much longer to charge - typically at least twice to three times longer.

Why do I care?

We don't have many fast chargers in Canada, the slower we charge the longer the queues and the worse it is for everyone. The 18 minute 10-80% charging times of our cars was a highly publicized and is a highly sort after feature. Being not able to use it for 4-5 months (or more!) of the year frankly sucks

You have the hardware but not the software. All Canadian cars come with a battery heater but no mechanism to turn it on in advance of getting to a charger. It will turn on when you start to fast charge but it's basically too late by then to make any difference in charging times.

Actually they already have. The hard work is done, the feature is already developed. 2023 models are getting it as default and in Europe (Norway, Finland) the software update is already being offered to upgrade 2022 cars.

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
224 Posts

Why do I care?

How can I help?

To unite our efforts, here are two previous posts from me on the topic.
I think we got 30+ emails to Hyundai Canada initially. Not sure if we've gotten as many protesting the reply.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wrote to both of CBC's consumer affairs outlets, Go Public at [email protected] and Marketplace at [email protected] Here is my full text:

Hello,
Many Canadian buyers of the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric car are upset that Hyundai is not willing to update our cars with battery pre-conditioning so that we can charge at fast speeds even in the wintertime. Owners from Facebook and Ioniq 5 online forums have written Hyundai Canada's customer relations and have been told that because of technical limitations only the 2023 models will get the feature. However, Canadians have the same cars as Norway and Hyundai Norway have already said all 2022 models can be updated immediately. Here is a link to the Hyundai Norway announcement Hyundai Norway marked (loopify.com) The following is the English translation:

Battery preheating is now being launched for all IONIQ 5

Hyundai launches new functionality - now all IONIQ 5 can get battery preheating
Preheating of the battery pack is now being launched as an update to the IONIQ 5 with model year 2022. That is, all IONIQ 5 that have so far been delivered in Norway. The functionality is identical to the battery preheating found in the IONIQ 5 model year 2023. Hyundai has been working on the solution for several months, and the update comes as a result of us listening to feedback from customers who wanted better charging speeds in cold weather.

We are therefore very pleased to be able to introduce this product news to you as an IONIQ 5 owner.

How to get the update

The update required to get battery pre-heating must be done at an authorized dealer, and is not related to the OTA system. You can choose for yourself whether you want to have the update carried out free of charge during regular service, or whether you want to book a workshop appointment for updating outside of service with a suggested price of NOK 1,590.

Although updating is a product innovation for the IONIQ 5, the software itself is free.

The update is already available at Hyundai dealers.

Since that press release Hyundai Finland has also announced they will do the update free of charge. Since Canada is also a cold country we would greatly benefit from this update. The following is a FAQ about the issue that a Redditor posted. Please help us fight to change this policy or else Hyundai has literally left us early adopters out in the cold.

Battery pre-conditioning is a feature that almost all modern EV's have to warm the battery so that it's ready to fast-charge. Without warming, in colder months the car will take much longer to charge - typically at least twice to three times longer.

Why do I care?

We don't have many fast chargers in Canada, the slower we charge the longer the queues and the worse it is for everyone. The 18 minute 10-80% charging times of our cars was a highly publicized and is a highly sort after feature. Being not able to use it for 4-5 months (or more!) of the year frankly sucks

You have the hardware but not the software. All Canadian cars come with a battery heater but no mechanism to turn it on in advance of getting to a charger. It will turn on when you start to fast charge but it's basically too late by then to make any difference in charging times.

Actually they already have. The hard work is done, the feature is already developed. 2023 models are getting it as default and in Europe (Norway, Finland) the software update is already being offered to upgrade 2022 cars.

I also emailed Peter Johnson at Electrek and Sean O'Shea at Global News. This is my email to O'Shea:
Hi Sean, I'm reaching out to you to see if you'd be interested in covering this story. I reserved a Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric vehicle last year. We needed more space with a baby on the way, and I ended up picking it up the day before my daughter's due date in January of this year. It's pretty amazing--except that it's missing a critical feature for winter driving, called battery preconditioning. Hyundai is now shipping new models with this feature, so they recognize that it's important. As far as I can tell, all we need is a software update to enable it (Hyundai is offering Norway owners the software update for the equivalent of $200 CAD, which I would gladly pay.) However, in the email I forwarded below, Hyundai Canada says they won't release an update in Canada for cars like mine that don't already have this feature. So, what is battery preconditioning? When you go to fill up the battery on any electric vehicle, the speed at public "level 3" charging stations that are designed for a quick charge for long-distance travel depends on a lot of factors, but one is the battery temperature. Through most of this summer, we've been able to charge the car from 10% to 80% battery in about 18 minutes, which is far less time than it takes to change my daughter's diaper and get a bathroom break for both parents and the dog. However, as outside temperatures drop, charging speed drops in order to protect the battery. In Canada winters, speeds can be quite abysmal. I'd expect that 18 minutes to stretch into multiple hours this winter. The fix for this is to pre-warm the battery en route to a charging station. This is called battery preconditioning. On newer builds, when you set the navigation to take you to a level 3 fast charger, the car begins to warm the battery so that charging speed is good when you arrive. It would be so simple for Hyundai Canada to offer current owners an update that enables this on our cars, but for unclear reasons (possibly because RWD models sold in the US don't have the right hardware), they have refused. As someone who reserved this car before I even knew the price--something I've never done before--this seems like a big slap in the face from Hyundai to literally leave us out in the cold. It strikes me as a strategic error as well. Why would anyone want to reserve the first model year of future vehicles if they treat that model year like a prototype? Let me know if you're at all interested in covering this story. Thanks for your time, Tyler

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is a great thread. Thanks for gathering recording all these efforts in one place. I received my car in January and without the pre-heating long distance driving was tough. Another thing I have seen posted is a online petition at change.org. The link is below:

I wrote to [email protected] about their decision, but have since learnt that several 2022 cars already have been delivered with battery condition, so they are obviously not being straight with us. They are penalizing early adopters which is crazy. There are a lot of people who have received their cars in the warmer months who have not idea yet how much this will effect them in the Canadian Winter.

Full text of email is below:

I have heard that the 2022 Ioniq 5 will not get battery pre-heating. An email has been sent out by Rich at customer relations stating:

"due to technical limitations, the 2022 IONIQ 5 models will not be able to receive the update to enable battery preconditioning. Only the 2023 models will be equipped with this feature."

Can you please advise what the technical limitations are, if any? It is very odd that in Norway all 2022 Ioniq 5 models will get a software update to enable battery preconditioning, but in Canada we do not. Norway started to take delivery of vehicles prior to us in Canada. Almost all Canadian vehicles have a heat pump and a battery heater and most likely have the hardware to add the battery preconditioning.

Ioniq 5 får etterlengtet nyhet

I live in Quebec and took delivery of my IONIQ 5 in January. I drive long distances and using the car in the winter for long distances was a challenge because the charging rate was very slow whilst the battery warmed up because the battery heating only started when plugged into a fast charger. The preconditioning starts the heating process whilst you are on the way so you can have the fast charging speeds from when you arrive at the charging station instead of waiting for 30 minutes for the battery to warm up.

I can understand that there is a cost to update the software to allow the pre-conditioning. If there is any hardware missing this can surely be installed. Flat out saying this is not possible does not sound correct. I would happily pay for the cost of the software update, and whatever hardware was required.

I am a first time Hyundai owner and am very impressed with my IONIQ 5, except for the winter slow charging speeds. There are many other 2022 IONIQ 5 owners like me who have paid a large amount of money for a car which is handicapped by slow winter charging speeds. When I placed my pre-order the car was not released and I did not know about the slow charging speeds at low temperatures. When I was about to take delivery this issue had been discovered but the official release from Hyundai was that they were working on a software update to address the situation.

Without this update, I will have to sell my IONIQ 5 as it is unusable for my purposes for 4 months of the year. I will certainly not be buying another Hyundai as the after sales support is clearly not there.

Even if I decided to purchase a 2023 IONIQ 5 to get the pre-conditioning, and swallowed the loss in selling my almost new car, I couldn't because there is a huge waiting list for approximately 2 years at my dealer.

I feel totally let down by Hyundai Canada. I hope that this situation can be resolved and I am sure it can be. Otherwise there will be an awful lot of very unhappy 2022 IONIQ 5 owners who will no longer be telling people how great their car is and instead telling people how they got screwed by Hyundai Canada.

Best regards,

Duncan Ingram

·
Registered
15 Posts
Greetings in Canada.

Just wanted to let you guys in on some interesting information I got from a head mechanic at a Danish Hyundai dealership. Hyundai Denmark has not made any announcements yet but my contact at the dealership just told me that the Norwegian update is now also available here in Denmark for the dealerships (they just await official green light to start - plus they don’t know if it’s the Norwegian method or if it will be a paid update) and he has just updated the first car as a test to see how it went.

Like in Norway, all Danish I5s also have the PTC battery warmer. As I understand things, this is also the case in Canada, right?

Anyways, he says that it’s two updates that they need to do plus the sat nav needs to be fully updated. If the latter is true then it takes roughly one hour total for them.
Perhaps you can use this to put pressure on Hyundai Canada and call their bluff.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Greetings in Canada.

Just wanted to let you guys in on some interesting information I got from a head mechanic at a Danish Hyundai dealership. Hyundai Denmark has not made any announcements yet but my contact at the dealership just told me that the Norwegian update is now also available here in Denmark for the dealerships (they just await official green light to start - plus they don’t know if it’s the Norwegian method or if it will be a paid update) and he has just updated the first car as a test to see how it went.

Like in Norway, all Danish I5s also have the PTC battery warmer. As I understand things, this is also the case in Canada, right?

Anyways, he says that it’s two updates that they need to do plus the sat nav needs to be fully updated. If the latter is true then it takes roughly one hour total for them.
Perhaps you can use this to put pressure on Hyundai Canada and call their bluff.
Yes, I think the PTC heater is standard, but I've seen too many spec sheets from everywhere now that I can't be sure. There's absolutely a product brochure that says 'battery heating system'.

I haven't heard anything about Sweden, but otherwise it's all Scandanavian countries, including Iceland now. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Germany and the Baltic countries.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is a great thread. Thanks for gathering recording all these efforts in one place. I received my car in January and without the pre-heating long distance driving was tough. Another thing I have seen posted is a online petition at change.org. The link is below:

I wrote to [email protected] about their decision, but have since learnt that several 2022 cars already have been delivered with battery condition, so they are obviously not being straight with us. They are penalizing early adopters which is crazy. There are a lot of people who have received their cars in the warmer months who have not idea yet how much this will effect them in the Canadian Winter.

Full text of email is below:

I have heard that the 2022 Ioniq 5 will not get battery pre-heating. An email has been sent out by Rich at customer relations stating:

"due to technical limitations, the 2022 IONIQ 5 models will not be able to receive the update to enable battery preconditioning. Only the 2023 models will be equipped with this feature."

Can you please advise what the technical limitations are, if any? It is very odd that in Norway all 2022 Ioniq 5 models will get a software update to enable battery preconditioning, but in Canada we do not. Norway started to take delivery of vehicles prior to us in Canada. Almost all Canadian vehicles have a heat pump and a battery heater and most likely have the hardware to add the battery preconditioning.

Ioniq 5 får etterlengtet nyhet

I live in Quebec and took delivery of my IONIQ 5 in January. I drive long distances and using the car in the winter for long distances was a challenge because the charging rate was very slow whilst the battery warmed up because the battery heating only started when plugged into a fast charger. The preconditioning starts the heating process whilst you are on the way so you can have the fast charging speeds from when you arrive at the charging station instead of waiting for 30 minutes for the battery to warm up.

I can understand that there is a cost to update the software to allow the pre-conditioning. If there is any hardware missing this can surely be installed. Flat out saying this is not possible does not sound correct. I would happily pay for the cost of the software update, and whatever hardware was required.

I am a first time Hyundai owner and am very impressed with my IONIQ 5, except for the winter slow charging speeds. There are many other 2022 IONIQ 5 owners like me who have paid a large amount of money for a car which is handicapped by slow winter charging speeds. When I placed my pre-order the car was not released and I did not know about the slow charging speeds at low temperatures. When I was about to take delivery this issue had been discovered but the official release from Hyundai was that they were working on a software update to address the situation.

Without this update, I will have to sell my IONIQ 5 as it is unusable for my purposes for 4 months of the year. I will certainly not be buying another Hyundai as the after sales support is clearly not there.

Even if I decided to purchase a 2023 IONIQ 5 to get the pre-conditioning, and swallowed the loss in selling my almost new car, I couldn't because there is a huge waiting list for approximately 2 years at my dealer.

I feel totally let down by Hyundai Canada. I hope that this situation can be resolved and I am sure it can be. Otherwise there will be an awful lot of very unhappy 2022 IONIQ 5 owners who will no longer be telling people how great their car is and instead telling people how they got screwed by Hyundai Canada.

Best regards,

Duncan Ingram
Probably because later vehicles had the necessary hardware installed before leaving the factory. Also, probably impossible to add to earlier cars without a major disassembly. Don't really blame them for not updating vehicles that didn't list this as a feature. Sorry to burst your bubble, but no amount of indignation would change this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Probably because later vehicles had the necessary hardware installed before leaving the factory. Also, probably impossible to add to earlier cars without a major disassembly. Don't really blame them for not updating vehicles that didn't list this as a feature. Sorry to burst your bubble, but no amount of indignation would change this.
ALL 2022 models in Norway are getting the update free. Norway started taking delivery prior to Canada. I suspect that all Canadian 2022 cars have the required hardware but Hyundai don't want to do the update. Hyundai Canada should explain properly what the issue is, which would stop this speculation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I downloaded this product brochure on June 30, so after 2022s were shipping with preconditioning but presumably it refers to all 2022s. It specifically mentions a 'battery heating system' for all Preferreds and up. There are no two ways about it: either the battery heating system meant to be used with winter mode doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough for real preconditioning (possible but unlikely), or they just don't want to give us a software update.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
316 Posts
I just got a reply basically they "documented" my concern within the head office. Not sure what that means but I am guessing not much. I would be interested in what others have received.
I received the technical issue response from from Customer Relations. I immediately responded requesting contact information to escalate my dissatisfaction to corporate management. No reply yet.

Reactions: nexxuscomputers
1 - 20 of 38 Posts