Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts

Hyundai has finally announced pricing for two of the three electrified powertrain options available to the Ioniq, electric and hybrid. Pricing for the plug-in hybrid version, also known as the Electric Plus, will be released at a later date.

The most affordable model at $24,299 each is the Ioniq hybrid in Blue trim. Powered by both a 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine and 32 kW electric motor, this version’s 139 horsepower is managed by a 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. This is also the first time a DCT is used in a hybrid vehicle. Aside from the base model, there are three additional trims to choose from: the SE ($26,499), Limited ($29,749), and Limited Tech ($31,749).

Sure, its fuel economy of 4.1L/100 km is a bit less than the 2017 Toyota Prius which uses an average of 4.5L/100 km, but the entry level trim is more affordable than its rival’s $27,190 price tag.

Sitting higher on the price range is the all-electric Hyundai Ioniq which starts at $35,649 in SE trim. There’s also a Cold Climate Package available for the SE trim which increase the price to $36,849 and comes with a heat pump, battery temperature management system, and heated rear seats. Bumping the MSRP to $41,849 is the Electric Limited.

At that price, the Ioniq SE does cost more than the Nissan LEAF at $33,998, but still less than the Chevrolet Bolt EV’s price tag of $42,795. Not bad for an EV with an 88 kW motor which produces 118 horsepower and 218 pound-feet of torque. On a full charge, the Ioniq has a range of 200 km and a combined consumption rating of 1.7Le/100 km.

Auto123 has noted that the full-electric Ioniq will only be available in provinces with government rebates like Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia. Those who are interested in getting a full-electric Ioniq may need to figure out a workaround.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Sure, its fuel economy of 4.1L/100 km is a bit less than the 2017 Toyota Prius which uses an average of 4.5L/100 km, but the entry level trim is more affordable than its rival’s $27,190 price tag.
Those fuel economy numbers show the Ioniq doing better than Prius, not a "bit less". Marketers no longer use proof readers?

·
Registered
110 Posts
In Ontario you will get back about 14K from government for Ioniq BEV and about 8K for Ioniq PHEV making both cars very competitive and desirable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In Ontario you will get back about 14K from government for Ioniq BEV and about 8K for Ioniq PHEV making both cars very competitive and desirable.
No rebate in SK. :(

Also, in the US they priced the EV just under the price of the Leaf. In Canada they priced it more than the Leaf.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also, in the US they priced the EV just under the price of the Leaf. In Canada they priced it more than the Leaf.
In Canada we are screwed from all sides... We are so small market for any product that retailers can do whatever they want. You HAVE to pay as there is no other way. If you do not want to, no problem - there are 200K new suckers coming into country ever year so they will be glad to pay whatever is asked. Who do you think supports retail and believes 'going out of business', '80% off'', '453566 easy payments' and other bs???
We can only dream of car prices paid by Americans.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It stinks but that's the way car sales are in Canada and the best option to get somewhat of a good deal is to simply wait until the model you want is considered old. Maybe a year so the dealerships are trying to sell off last model year Ioniqs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Factor in exchange rate, Ioniq Electric is actually cheaper in Canada than in the States. With 14k rebate, it's a sweet deal.

I do hope all provinces in Canada can get EV rebate, it's fair if every environmentally conscious Canadian can have the same government support when purchasing green energy vehicle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Factor in exchange rate, Ioniq Electric is actually cheaper in Canada than in the States. With 14k rebate, it's a sweet deal.

I do hope all provinces in Canada can get EV rebate, it's fair if every environmentally conscious Canadian can have the same government support when purchasing green energy vehicle.
Wouldn't this create a grey market export market to the US (I am assuming that Hyundai USA honours the warranty from Canada )

I have a similar situation here in the IOM..IOM does not give the UK grant ..I have to get either a used one from the UK or go to the UK and get one and drive back.

I decided to buy the Hybrid in the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts