1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canadian Extended Warrantee Options:
  • POWERTRAIN ?
  • PREMIUM ?
  • PREMIUM PLUS ? Any advice on warrantees? I haven't bought a new car in 19 years!!

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
346 Posts
The warranty is already very generous. Are you planning to keep it for longer than 5 years? Or high mileage?
If the answer is "No" to both of them, then probably not much point. Maybe easier to sell a car with an extended warranty though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well , well...
I thought i made up my mind already and was going to take the extended warranty, just because of the electronics that Hyundai covers for 3 years or 60,000 KMS
But i am having 2nd thoughts now.i have already two Tesla 3 in the household already and didn't get any extended warranties on them.
Also i had the 2017 Ioniq when it came out, and no issues at all. So i am leaning towards NO just because my 2017 Ioniq had no issues at all

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm leaning no too - but do plan to keep for 10 years 200,000kms. While I feel like less is likely to go wrong mechanically, all the tech is where I hesitate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The warranty is already very generous. Are you planning to keep it for longer than 5 years? Or high mileage?
If the answer is "No" to both of them, then probably not much point. Maybe easier to sell a car with an extended warranty though.
If I sell this car, it will be to my retired parents and I'd get whatever "sports car" Hyundai can make with this E-GMP platform.

p.s. I do 12,000kms per year

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm only planning on a 3-4 year lease, so the factory warranty is plenty. Also, I believe the BEV components have a 6 year 120k factory warranty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Canadian Extended Warrantee Options:

• POWERTRAIN ?
  • PREMIUM ?
  • PREMIUM PLUS ? Any advice on warrantees? I haven't bought a new car in 19 years!!
Personally I never took it, and again this time the Hyundai seller insisted, didn't took it but I reconforted him by saying he was not the first one to try to sell me this.

It's a high margin profit insurance for the dealer. Only for the seller, he can make 29% margin (Without telling to it's customer) on this sale, it's why he insist a lot.

This said, all is new about this car (Then we can't say if it's reliable). Then, it's a risk, personally I take the risk, if something wrong, I will not be alone and justice are there for those case.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pretty much every thing is covered for 5 years 100K km, the radio infotainment unit is only 36 months 36K, the drivetrain , traction battery and pretty much all the EV related major components are covered for 8 year or 160K. I really am not sure what the point of paying $2000-3000 extra is. I guess if it makes you sleep better?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The fact that dealers make a killing selling these, as evidenced by their strong arm sales tactics, tells you all you need to know about the probability of it ever being worth your while. The vast majority of people will spend more for the warranty than they’ll ever save. I guess if money is tight you won’t be able to cover some of the costs it could be worth the peace of mind, outside of that never get them.

My dealer also tried up selling a full cost coverage in case of totalling the car. They wanted an extra $30 biweekly for 8 years, for three years of coverage. Provincial car insurance offers the same thing for two years for a couple hundred bucks, total. The amount of markup on these things is insane.

·
Registered
2022 I5 Pref. AWD LR, Ultimate, AWhite
12 Posts
Another "on the fence" here. Just brought my Ultimate home today. Was quoted $3746.00-$500.00 for the Premium Plus. No pressure, just explained and offered. Have some time to think on it. My main question is not whether to take it or not but rather what folks have been quoted. I'll decide later if worth the peace of mind. I just don't want to get taken on price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Another "on the fence" here. Just brought my Ultimate home today. Was quoted $3746.00-$500.00 for the Premium Plus. No pressure, just explained and offered. Have some time to think on it. My main question is not whether to take it or not but rather what folks have been quoted. I'll decide later if worth the peace of mind. I just don't want to get taken on price.
My main problem with these protection plans is they are obviously geared for ICE vehicles and most of the detailed covered items speaks to that. Oddly I wanted to review the details again today and it looks like the have removed the protection plans from the Ioniq 5 online configurator "no protection plans available for this trim". Also tried to look up Kona EV which is now unavailable on the configurator because they are "sold out", weird I wonder if 2022 model is the finale for the Kona EV, interesting.

·
Registered
2022 I5 Pref. AWD LR, Ultimate, AWhite
12 Posts
My main problem with these protection plans is they are obviously geared for ICE vehicles
It really comes down to Tech stuff for me. The Ultimate has a bunch more goodies that could be costly after 3 years. Costly peace of mind though when I don't know if I'll still have that Ioniq. Might be better of to put the money to another vehicle 3 years down the road :)
- Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
162 Posts
It really comes down to Tech stuff for me. The Ultimate has a bunch more goodies that could be costly after 3 years. Costly peace of mind though when I don't know if I'll still have that Ioniq. Might be better of to put the money to another vehicle 3 years down the road :)
- Decisions, decisions...
Keep in mind pretty much everything except the infotainment unit(36 months) and 12 V battery(24 months) are covered for at least 5 years under the included warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well , well...
I thought i made up my mind already and was going to take the extended warranty, just because of the electronics that Hyundai covers for 3 years or 60,000 KMS
But i am having 2nd thoughts now.i have already two Tesla 3 in the household already and didn't get any extended warranties on them.
Also i had the 2017 Ioniq when it came out, and no issues at all. So i am leaning towards NO just because my 2017 Ioniq had no issues at all
I picked up my car yesterday. Dealer offered $600.00 less from the quoted price and i took the extended warranty. Keeping the car for at least 8 -10 years and do not want to feel sorry down the road after the 3 years electronics warranty. Peace of mind, knowing i am covered for 8 full years ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
REMEMBER, a dealer will sell you extended warrantee ANYTIME, right? You can buy the highest, most thorough warranty once the original is up.
And an extended warranty is always transferable to another Hyundai vehicle too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts